@@@@ Official Storage (San/nas) @@@@@@

pavan_613

[quote name='manchi_babu' timestamp='1348794257' post='1302552242']
ya almost all happiess aa/

monday-Oct1st nunchi FT...
[img]http://i45.tinypic.com/dh7gv5.jpg[/img]
[/quote]
[img]http://i48.tinypic.com/24lq6is.gif[/img][img]http://lh6.ggpht.com/_cda1OvVtS20/TGoNuGx3XcI/AAAAAAAABdM/ldM7ca4qU3E/Mahesh-Khaleja-3.gif[/img]

1)ZONE-A:-WWN of HBA-1 and WWN of storage array port-1
2)Add the new ZONE-A to the ZONESET(Zoneset means group of ZONES)
3)Activate the ZONESET, which saves the running configuration file as startup configuration file.

SAME for other side(i.e.ZONE-B or FABRIC-B)

manam ee tasks GUI/CLI dwara kuda cheyavachu..let me know if you need syntax for these.

ISL(INTER Switch LINKING)
For example:- mana degara switch of 8 free ports unayi and mana 10 servers ki SAN storage ivali.
apudu 8 ports and 8 servers ki zone chesi storage provision chesi,,then 8 port switch nunchi inko switch ki TRUNKING chestamu..
ie physical ga oka switch nunchi inko switch connection create chesi..TRUNKING ports laga change chesi(port channel) apudu storage provisioning chestam for remaining 2 hosts.

inka detailed ga kavali antey chepu boss...

[quote name='manchi_babu' timestamp='1349275232' post='1302577226']
1)ZONE-A:-WWN of HBA-1 and WWN of storage array port-1
2)Add the new ZONE-A to the ZONESET(Zoneset means group of ZONES)
3)Activate the ZONESET, which saves the running configuration file as startup configuration file.

SAME for other side(i.e.ZONE-B or FABRIC- B)

manam ee tasks GUI/CLI dwara kuda cheyavachu..let me know if you need syntax for these.

ISL(INTER Switch LINKING)
For example:- mana degara switch of 8 free ports unayi and mana 10 servers ki SAN storage ivali.
apudu 8 ports and 8 servers ki zone chesi storage provision chesi,,then 8 port switch nunchi inko switch ki TRUNKING chestamu..
ie physical ga oka switch nunchi inko switch connection create chesi..TRUNKING ports laga change chesi(port channel) apudu storage provisioning chestam for remaining 2 hosts.

inka detailed ga kavali antey chepu boss...
[/quote]

thanks ba ante zoning sytax and zoning concepts telsu but best practices kosam searching,,
ante ippudu zoning lo frame based hardware enforcement zoning and session based H/w enforced zoning's unnayi kada
realtime to edu ekkuva vadataru
zoning chesetepadu pWWn or nWWn or (D,P) ee identity type ekkuva vadataru ,,, mi environment lo edi use chestunnaru
(D,P) identity zoning lo eppudu vadataru ee situ's lo adi vadali manam ?

Zoning chestunnapudu nenu by rules aitey I can have more than 1 hosts, more than 1 disk types kada but does it become an issue in the realtime, mi environment lo ela untundi

inka mi environment lo nuvvu zoneshow koditey eeni zones untayi kaka typically ( i know it depends on ur business needs etc) but just oorike mi env lo enni untayi ?

inka naming conventions vade tappudu emanna jagrattalu tisukovala (like general company guidelines etc)

[quote name='computaboi' timestamp='1349291636' post='1302578431']
thanks ba ante zoning sytax and zoning concepts telsu but best practices kosam searching,,
ante ippudu zoning lo frame based hardware enforcement zoning and session based H/w enforced zoning's unnayi kada
realtime to edu ekkuva vadataru
zoning chesetepadu pWWn or nWWn or (D,P) ee identity type ekkuva vadataru ,,, mi environment lo edi use chestunnaru
(D,P) identity zoning lo eppudu vadataru ee situ's lo adi vadali manam ?

Zoning chestunnapudu nenu by rules aitey I can have more than 1 hosts, more than 1 disk types kada but does it become an issue in the realtime, mi environment lo ela untundi

[/quote]

There r 2 types of zoning
1)hardware zoning: port level
2)software zoning:using WWPN of HBA n FA

Based on ports, hard zoning limits traffic between a specific attached host adapter and the array attached to the switch port. This method is extremely secure, but it can be administrative-intensive if the network requires reconfiguration.

Using soft zoning or world wide name (WWN) zoning, each element in the fabric receives a WWN for the purpose of identification. The name server in the switch determines which WWNs it will allow to communicate with each defined zone.

[b]HARDWARE ZONING [/b]

Static zone
Works with domain ID and port number
Frames are filtered by ASIC
Secured but not flexible
Lack of flexibility is the main disadvantage, for every change at switch level
should be configured which may happen quiet often
-Device zoned to a particular port cannot be a member of zone if it is
connected to another port in a fabric
-If a domain ID of a switch changes, zones will be disabled
-If any switch component is replaced, thezones should be re-configured, but
this is an exception for HBA -If HBA is replaced at host level need not re-configure

[b]Software zoning [/b]

-Dynamic zoning
-Uses wwpn and wwnn of devices
-Session level verification by name server
-flexible

For software based zoning Brocade and others use the devices specific address or World Wide Name (WWN) to link a device to a zone. This has the benefit of flexibility in that the device can be moved to any port in the fabric and the zone would follow the device. So administrators had to balance the value of security with the benefits of flexibility, with security usually winning

Soft zoning uses filtering implemented in fibre channel switches to prevent ports from being seen from outside of their assigned zones. The security vulnerability in soft zoning is that the ports are still accessible if the user in another zone correctly guesses the fibre channel address.

[quote name='computaboi' timestamp='1349291636' post='1302578431']
inka mi environment lo nuvvu zoneshow koditey eeni zones untayi kaka typically ( i know it depends on ur business needs etc) but just oorike mi env lo enni untayi ?

inka naming conventions vade tappudu emanna jagrattalu tisukovala (like general company guidelines etc)
[/quote]

mostly andaru Soft zoning e use chestharu....nenu ippati varaku hard zoning use cheyaledu

ma environment lo 1013 zones unnayi oka zone set lo....patha environment lo around 700....so it varies from environment to environment

[b]VSAN 2000[/b]
Naming: Z1_servername_hba1_SYMMserialnumber_FAport
EX: Z1_snpmdsql05_hba1_SYMM1234_FA08DA

17th rule follow avutham kada, so ikkada 8D0 thesukunte VAN 3000 lo 9D0 thesukuntam....kani zone name lo FA8DA and FA9DA ani follow avutham ma company lo

[b]VSAN 3000[/b]
Naming: Z2_servername_hba2_SYMMserialnumber_FAport
EX: Z1_snpmdsql05_hba2_SYMM1234_FA09DA

project loki vellaka, valla naming convention ento adigi thelusuko....adhe follow avvu....

[quote name='30 yrs industry' timestamp='1349298836' post='1302578973']
There r 2 types of zoning
1)hardware zoning: port level
2)software zoning:using WWPN of HBA n FA

Based on ports, hard zoning limits traffic between a specific attached host adapter and the array attached to the switch port. This method is extremely secure, but it can be administrative-intensive if the network requires reconfiguration.

Using soft zoning or world wide name (WWN) zoning, each element in the fabric receives a WWN for the purpose of identification. The name server in the switch determines which WWNs it will allow to communicate with each defined zone.

[b]HARDWARE ZONING [/b]

Static zone
Works with domain ID and port number
Frames are filtered by ASIC
Secured but not flexible
Lack of flexibility is the main disadvantage, for every change at switch level
should be configured which may happen quiet often
-Device zoned to a particular port cannot be a member of zone if it is
connected to another port in a fabric
-If a domain ID of a switch changes, zones will be disabled
-If any switch component is replaced, thezones should be re-configured, but
this is an exception for HBA -If HBA is replaced at host level need not re-configure

[b]Software zoning [/b]
-Dynamic zoning
-Uses wwpn and wwnn of devices
-Session level verification by name server
-flexible

For software based zoning Brocade and others use the devices specific address or World Wide Name (WWN) to link a device to a zone. This has the benefit of flexibility in that the device can be moved to any port in the fabric and the zone would follow the device. So administrators had to balance the value of security with the benefits of flexibility, with security usually winning

Soft zoning uses filtering implemented in fibre channel switches to prevent ports from being seen from outside of their assigned zones. The security vulnerability in soft zoning is that the ports are still accessible if the user in another zone correctly guesses the fibre channel address.
[/quote]
I am bit confused now, you have outlined merits over demerits brilliantly however I am bit confused with definition of hardware zoning and software zoning

My understanding of hardware enforced zoning is it is of 2 types
frame based h/w enforced
session based h/w enforced
Software enforced zoning: long gone. Brocade is not anymore using port masking using name server service on software level. I believe due to data security reasons soft zoning was completely binned.
Now they only do Hardware enforced zoning:
H/w enforced uses filtering at port level by ASIC's, filtering filters based on zone config...if communications initiated by hosts that are not in zoning config then port filtering will reject it at hardware level.
Frame based zoning is
zoning done using identity pWWn
zoning performed using identity (d,p)
Zone performed using either pWWN identity or (d,p) but not mixed.

Session based:
all mix fruit juice identity
overlapping

Think ,the differences which u quoted above are for identity types, correct me if I am wrong.
so basically I understand all zoning is hardware enforced in the current times

• Upvote 1

[quote name='computaboi' timestamp='1349330123' post='1302580422']
I am bit confused now, you have outlined merits over demerits brilliantly however I am bit confused with definition of hardware zoning and software zoning

My understanding of hardware enforced zoning is it is of 2 types
frame based h/w enforced
session based h/w enforced
Software enforced zoning: long gone. Brocade is not anymore using port masking using name server service on software level. I believe due to data security reasons soft zoning was completely binned.
Now they only do Hardware enforced zoning:
H/w enforced uses filtering at port level by ASIC's, filtering filters based on zone config...if communications initiated by hosts that are not in zoning config then port filtering will reject it at hardware level.
Frame based zoning is
zoning done using identity pWWn
zoning performed using identity (d,p)
Zone performed using either pWWN identity or (d,p) but not mixed.

Session based:
all mix fruit juice identity
overlapping

Think ,the differences which u quoted above are for identity types, correct me if I am wrong.
so basically I understand all zoning is hardware enforced in the current times
[/quote]
bhayya nuvu ee concept chala confused ga unnavu...basically both has pros and cons but for some environments hard zoning are a real head ache...
and regarding what you said brocade is using all hard zoning.....I don't think so.....because in our environment we have many broacade switches and we no more have hard zones...all the zones we have are soft zones