Preethi Srinivasan,ex-Captain Of The Under-19 Tamil Nadu Women’S Crick

JANASENA

1381669_603269813136075_1692152557371634

Preethi Srinivasan, an ex-captain of the under-19 Tamil Nadu women’s cricket team, holds the record for being the youngest to have played cricket for a junior state team, at the age of 8. She is a national level swimmer too. Her passion also led her to attend a cricket camp that has been organized for 300 boys, where she didn't shy away from the boy but made them apprehensive of bowling to such hard hitting batswoman. Everyone was certain that very soon Preethi would make her mark as a successful member of the Indian Women Cricket team, but destiny had other plans for her.

On 11th of July 1998, Preethi Srinivasan, was returning to Chennai from her college trip to Pondicherry. In the midway, they stopped to spend some time at a private beach. She was playing in the sea when the accident happened. "My legs became numb all of a sudden. When I tried to move, I fell face down in the water. I felt a shock pass through me and my friends had to carry me out," she said. For a few days she thought something bit her and waited for a few days to recover, but doctors later told her she had a spinal cord injury. 

After the incident that restricted her to a wheel chair, it was only the competitive spirit of Preethi and the support of her family; she emerged as the voice of survivors of spinal cord injuries. She started a Tamil Nadu based charitable trust named Soulfree that serves people with severe disabilities, to offer them hope and help them in fulfilling their human potential to the fullest.

Through Soulfree, Preethi initiates to create a massive change in the Indian society for the severely disabled by spreading awareness about spinal cord injuries and employment opportunities. The organization also aids to create lucrative employment for the people who can only use their voices. Their project called Throat Fort த்ரோட் போர்ட் "conquer the world with your voice" trains quadriplegics for several vocations like radio jockeys, voice dubbing artists, recording of audio books, telephone marketing, etc.

The NGO that is still in its infancy is one of its kind in India and has the potential to bring about monumental change, an inclusive society and create a revolution for those suffering from severe physical disabilities.