Offcial Thread For Icc Cricket World Cup 2015

raghuraj

119 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

World Cup 2015: The Heartbreak hotel  

voxpop-sa.jpg

One run is needed. Three balls are still to be bowled. Damien Fleming is at the beginning of his run up. The entire Australian team is inside the circle, trying to stop the single. On strike is Lance Klusener. The way he has batted in this tournament, we are confident he will smack one over the field for a four.

At our home in Port Elizabeth, me and my brother are already celebrating.

They’ve started rejoicing on the streets too. The next thing I remember of that fateful day is Alan Donald walking back to the pavilion and all those men in yellow celebrating like maniacs on the pitch. The rest is a blur. Of course, I’ve seen the match several times since but if you’d ask me to recall that specific moment, I can’t remember what happened in between the time when we were celebrating and when the Australians started jumping in joy.

They ask us what’s it like to be a fan of the South African cricket team. The answer is just one word: pain. The pain stems from the fact that you are the best team in the world, with some of the coolest players the game has seen, yet you falter when it matters the most.

A painful reminder
Earlier this week, Cricket South Africa put up an interactive element on their website, which offered a glimpse into the team’s previous World Cup campaigns. Their intention perhaps was to relive the past moments. But all it did was to remind us of our painful campaigns.

The way we were robbed in 1992. The heartbreak of ‘99. Embarrassment we faced as hosts in 2003. The list is endless. I inherited the pain from my father. He was more into rugby but cricket is close to every South African. It’s one sport that we are good at, competitive in, has its heroes, and most of all, it’s well-branded.

Maybe it’s because they play a lot in the country and across the country — from East London and Port Elizabeth to Cape Town and Johannesburg. It’s in school, parks. That’s how I got hooked to cricket. It was everywhere when I was growing up. And when I started waking up in the middle of the night to watch the matches being played in Australia, I knew I was in love with cricket.

The frustration
Little did I know the pain I was signing up for, however. The frustration comes from them not being able to cross the finish line. Chokers, they call us. At times, I find that a bit harsh. We get a lot of flak when we lose close games but we aren’t the only ones losing such matches. Perhaps it’s more scrutinized because of our team’s history. We have been among the top three sides for ages but haven’t won anything. If we win, then the ‘chokers’ monkey will finally be off our backs and can shut people up. And going into this World Cup, the general feeling across South Africa is that this will be our year. No, really. Of all the previous World Cups, 1999 was perhaps our best chance having come so close with a really good set of players. The result in 2003 was more embarrassing than soul-crushing. Most of the country was like, how did that happen? It was such a rookie mistake.

The team wasn’t expected to do that well and it happened early in the tournament. So it didn’t hurt that much. It was the same case in West Indies, we weren’t really confident of the team and it was always going to be tough to beat India or Pakistan in the subcontinental conditions in 2011. But there’s a real sense of optimism this time. We have a team that is really special and have played very well in the last 12 months. And the conditions will be such that the players will enjoy playing there. Hashim Amla, AB de Villiers, Dale Steyn, Morne Morkel…all these players have it in them to cross the finish line. They know how to up their game at the right time, change the gears to propel the team to a win. We all saw how destructive AB can be. He is among the most revered sportspersons in South Africa. The Springboks are usually the ones who are treated like stars but they are shy. Cricketers are right up there, and AB is the face of the team. He is called by many names like AB the God and Wonderkid. Still, people have warmed up to Amla more than AB. The entire country appreciates the Amla story. He is humble, incredibly consistent and a perfect leader. They like the way he bats as well, and of late, he has shown he can hit the ball really well too.

People look at him and there is this reassurance that here is the man who can help us exorcise our ghosts. If there is one concern, it’s our bowling. In Steyn and Morkel, we have the two best fast bowlers but the support bowlers aren’t that good. It’s been a problem for quite some time and an issue that is bothering us a lot considering that all teams have really good battling line-ups. Still, with this bunch of players it’ll be a shame if we do not return with the trophy. One thing that hurts all South Africans is that for all that they’ve done for the sport in the country, some of the legends won’t have anything to show for it. Jacques Kallis won’t have a World Cup to his name and that hurts me a lot as a fan. Donald will be remembered. for the run out in 1999. Shaun Pollock and Mark Boucher will always be mocked for their miscalculation in 2003.

As a nation, we have matured as fans. There is a general appreciation about the players and the efforts they put in. We used to be harsh on them but no one in South Africa ever felt they don’t give their 100 percent. This is a good time to be a Proteas fan. Maybe our time has come, finally. 

World Cup 2015: The Heartbreak hotel  

voxpop-sa.jpg

One run is needed. Three balls are still to be bowled. Damien Fleming is at the beginning of his run up. The entire Australian team is inside the circle, trying to stop the single. On strike is Lance Klusener. The way he has batted in this tournament, we are confident he will smack one over the field for a four.

At our home in Port Elizabeth, me and my brother are already celebrating.

They’ve started rejoicing on the streets too. The next thing I remember of that fateful day is Alan Donald walking back to the pavilion and all those men in yellow celebrating like maniacs on the pitch. The rest is a blur. Of course, I’ve seen the match several times since but if you’d ask me to recall that specific moment, I can’t remember what happened in between the time when we were celebrating and when the Australians started jumping in joy.

They ask us what’s it like to be a fan of the South African cricket team. The answer is just one word: pain. The pain stems from the fact that you are the best team in the world, with some of the coolest players the game has seen, yet you falter when it matters the most.

A painful reminder
Earlier this week, Cricket South Africa put up an interactive element on their website, which offered a glimpse into the team’s previous World Cup campaigns. Their intention perhaps was to relive the past moments. But all it did was to remind us of our painful campaigns.

The way we were robbed in 1992. The heartbreak of ‘99. Embarrassment we faced as hosts in 2003. The list is endless. I inherited the pain from my father. He was more into rugby but cricket is close to every South African. It’s one sport that we are good at, competitive in, has its heroes, and most of all, it’s well-branded.

Maybe it’s because they play a lot in the country and across the country — from East London and Port Elizabeth to Cape Town and Johannesburg. It’s in school, parks. That’s how I got hooked to cricket. It was everywhere when I was growing up. And when I started waking up in the middle of the night to watch the matches being played in Australia, I knew I was in love with cricket.

The frustration
Little did I know the pain I was signing up for, however. The frustration comes from them not being able to cross the finish line. Chokers, they call us. At times, I find that a bit harsh. We get a lot of flak when we lose close games but we aren’t the only ones losing such matches. Perhaps it’s more scrutinized because of our team’s history. We have been among the top three sides for ages but haven’t won anything. If we win, then the ‘chokers’ monkey will finally be off our backs and can shut people up. And going into this World Cup, the general feeling across South Africa is that this will be our year. No, really. Of all the previous World Cups, 1999 was perhaps our best chance having come so close with a really good set of players. The result in 2003 was more embarrassing than soul-crushing. Most of the country was like, how did that happen? It was such a rookie mistake.

The team wasn’t expected to do that well and it happened early in the tournament. So it didn’t hurt that much. It was the same case in West Indies, we weren’t really confident of the team and it was always going to be tough to beat India or Pakistan in the subcontinental conditions in 2011. But there’s a real sense of optimism this time. We have a team that is really special and have played very well in the last 12 months. And the conditions will be such that the players will enjoy playing there. Hashim Amla, AB de Villiers, Dale Steyn, Morne Morkel…all these players have it in them to cross the finish line. They know how to up their game at the right time, change the gears to propel the team to a win. We all saw how destructive AB can be. He is among the most revered sportspersons in South Africa. The Springboks are usually the ones who are treated like stars but they are shy. Cricketers are right up there, and AB is the face of the team. He is called by many names like AB the God and Wonderkid. Still, people have warmed up to Amla more than AB. The entire country appreciates the Amla story. He is humble, incredibly consistent and a perfect leader. They like the way he bats as well, and of late, he has shown he can hit the ball really well too.

People look at him and there is this reassurance that here is the man who can help us exorcise our ghosts. If there is one concern, it’s our bowling. In Steyn and Morkel, we have the two best fast bowlers but the support bowlers aren’t that good. It’s been a problem for quite some time and an issue that is bothering us a lot considering that all teams have really good battling line-ups. Still, with this bunch of players it’ll be a shame if we do not return with the trophy. One thing that hurts all South Africans is that for all that they’ve done for the sport in the country, some of the legends won’t have anything to show for it. Jacques Kallis won’t have a World Cup to his name and that hurts me a lot as a fan. Donald will be remembered. for the run out in 1999. Shaun Pollock and Mark Boucher will always be mocked for their miscalculation in 2003.

As a nation, we have matured as fans. There is a general appreciation about the players and the efforts they put in. We used to be harsh on them but no one in South Africa ever felt they don’t give their 100 percent. This is a good time to be a Proteas fan. Maybe our time has come, finally. 

Gp..

World Cup 2015: The Terrace talk

gram.jpgGraham Gooch

Across streets and mohallas, World Cup conversations are in full swing. Everyday we lend our ears to those passionate voices. Today’s topic is a Steve Waugh favourite; a look at the men, apart from Herschelle Gibbs, who cost their team the World Cup

Just dropped the Cup, mate

Graham Gooch 
Pakistan’s strategy all through Australia ‘92 was to block out the new balls (being used at either end) so the big hitters including Inzamam could come out later and go for the bowling. Derek Pringle had England off to a good start in the final, sending back the openers and keeping Pakistan to less than two runs an over at around the 20-over mark. It could have gotten worse for Pakistan when skipper Imran Khan top edged Phil DeFraites only for his English counterpart Graham Gooch to put the chance down. Imran went on to top score in the match with 72, laying the platform for Inzamam and Wasim Akram to later hit England out of the Cup.

BC Cooray  
What if we were to say that it wasn’t Courtney Walsh but Sri Lankan umpire BC Cooray who cost West Indies the semifinal game in Mohali and a place in the final. Not due to a bad decision but because he had come in the way of a sureshot Richie Richardson boundary while performing his square-leg umpire duties. In the 27th over, the WI captain had swept Shane Warne into open space. But instead of earning four runs for it he ended up clobbering Cooray under the ear (see TV grab). Think about it: in a match where the last seven batsmen scored a sum total of 10 runs and in a match that Australia won by five runs, that boundary wouldn’t have not helped.

zaheer-khan-mi-reutersd.jpg(Source: Reuters)

Zaheer Khan

It’s the World Cup final and you are going to set the tone of the match by bowling the first over. You are visibly pumped up and raring to go. You run in hard and bowl a no-ball. Then you glare at the batsman. The batsman, Adam Gilchrist in this case, looks amused. Two balls later, you run in harder and bowl another no ball. But it doesn’t dampen your spirits, you are still having a go at Gilchrist. He chuckles this time. On the penultimate ball of the over, you miss your line and bowl it wide, really wide. The ball hares away to the boundary for five wides. But in your head you believe that you have bowled the ball of the tournament, so you decide to tell the batsman, Matthew Hayden in this case, just what you think of him. He cracks you for a boundary off the next ball and you sledge him again. Then you bowl a wide. Then you complete the over. Finally. It has cost 15 runs. The match has barely begun but you know, somewhere deep inside, that you have just bowled India out of this match.

kulasekara-1200-reuters.jpg(Source: Reuters)

Nuwan Kulasekara  
The fast bowler was forever be remembered for bowling the ball that lost Sri Lanka the World Cup, the one that India captain MS Dhoni clattered into the stands. But Kulasekara had in fact cost Sri Lanka the game much earlier. With India under the pump in the 14th over at 66/2 (both Virender Sehwag and Sachin Tendulkar were back in the hut), off-spinner Suraj Randiv all but dismissed the man who would eventually end up top-scoring for India, Gautam Gambhir. Batting rather nervously on 30, Gambhir stepped out to Randiv and tried to collar him inside-out, from outside his leg-stump, through covers and long-off. The ball spooned up to Kulasekara at long-off, who was a second too late in his run in which he tried to cover up with a dive. The ball fell under his falling body and Gambhir sighed his way to a single. He would go on to score 67 more runs and Kula would bowl the last ball of the tournament.