Wrestling Legend ‘Rowdy’ Roddy Piper Dies Aged 61

Novak_Djokovic

Former professional wrestling superstar ‘Rowdy’ Roddy Piper passed away at his Hollywood home on Thursday night at the age of 61.

The legend reportedly died in his sleep after a cardiac arrest.

Piper, born Roderick Toombs in Saskatchewan, Canada, was one of the biggest wrestling stars of the 1980s, and was instrumental in the first Wrestlemania in 1985 – teaming with Paul Orndorff to take on Hulk Hogan and Mr T in the historic main event.

Piper was renowned for his quick wit, especially on wrestling talk show ‘Piper’s Pit’, as well as wearing a kilt and playing bagpipes to the ring as part of his supposed Scottish heritage.

During his career, he won more than 30 titles and was inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame in 2005.

Piper is considered one of the greatest talkers and best bad guys in pro-wrestling history – in perhaps his most famous moment, he once cracked a coconut over the head of rival Jimmy Snuka.

He gained further praise after branching out into acting, starring in the cult 1988 film They Live.

He had successfully fought Hodgkin’s lymphoma in 2006, and last November revealed that he was cancer free.

It’s been a sad month for wrestling, with Piper’s death coming just weeks after the passing of fellow Hall of Fame legend Dusty Rhodes.

Tributes poured in from those across the wrestling world yesterday evening, as news of Piper’s passing spread…

Roddy Piper was one of the most entertaining, controversial and bombastic performers ever in WWE… (1/2)

— Vince McMahon (@VinceMcMahon) July 31, 2015

…beloved by millions of fans around the world. I extend my deepest condolences to his family. (2/2)

— Vince McMahon (@VinceMcMahon) July 31, 2015

My father @R_Roddy_Piper was a great man and my best friend I will miss him forever and will alway try to be the man he raised me to be

— Colt Toombs (@ColtToombs) July 31, 2015

One of the true greats of all time. My heart goes out to his family and the fans he entertained over the years. RIP Rowdy.

— John Cena (@JohnCena) July 31, 2015

Saddened about the passing of "Rowdy" Roddy Piper. He was truly a legend and icon, and will never be forgotten… #ThankYouRoddy #RIP

— Triple H (@TripleH) July 31, 2015

I am shocked and saddened to hear of Roddy Piper's passing. He was one of a kind and one of the all time greats. #prowrestling

— Steve Austin (@steveaustinBSR) July 31, 2015

RIP legend. I first met this wrestling icon when I was 12yrs old when he was wrestling my pops the… https://t.co/fHoLoKQ47f

— Dwayne Johnson (@TheRock) August 1, 2015

sorry to hear of the passing of my friend and Wrestlemania rival #RoddyPiper. One of the greatest who… https://t.co/WkGjYehXim

— Chris Jericho (@IAmJericho) July 31, 2015

My deepest condolences to the family and friends of @R_Roddy_Piper. I admired Roddy so much as a wrestler – and even more as a man #RIPRoddy

RIP

one of the best heels of all time.

he was also suffering from cancer but treatment tarvata cancer free ayyadu.

RIP...