Project ending - Advise needed

goodlife

Hi Friends,

Need some advise. I am new to consulting from fulltime (6 years) to do EB2.

Started on a project in March. Employer filed Labor. All was well until 10 days ago, when I came to know that my project is ending soon. 10 days done, 4 days to go. I will in Bench then on wards. This is new to me. I started marketing resume in SQL/ Data Analyst/ Tableau/ Reporting roles. I had 5 to 6 formal submissions, only one phone interview. Which did not go further..  A sense of negativity has ensued. I am trying to fight those feelings and be optimistic.

I am trying to understand, if, or at what point should I give up on my current profile, and come up with a different game plan (switching to new area)? Being on bench for a month or two and then making a decision change is bad. I would rather make decision now, if this will ever work out or not. Have you ever had a change of mind in your role, as you are in Bench? or should I keep fighting? How do i know if I am not fighting a battle to only lose?

Your experiences and ideas will sure help. How many positions do you apply in consulting/ how soon something clicks. I know there are lot of factors. But please share your experiences.

Thanks much!

11 hours ago, goodlife said:

Hi Friends,

Need some advise. I am new to consulting from fulltime (6 years) to do EB2.

Started on a project in March. Employer filed Labor. All was well until 10 days ago, when I came to know that my project is ending soon. 10 days done, 4 days to go. I will in Bench then on wards. This is new to me. I started marketing resume in SQL/ Data Analyst/ Tableau/ Reporting roles. I had 5 to 6 formal submissions, only one phone interview. Which did not go further..  A sense of negativity has ensued. I am trying to fight those feelings and be optimistic.

I am trying to understand, if, or at what point should I give up on my current profile, and come up with a different game plan (switching to new area)? Being on bench for a month or two and then making a decision change is bad. I would rather make decision now, if this will ever work out or not. Have you ever had a change of mind in your role, as you are in Bench? or should I keep fighting? How do i know if I am not fighting a battle to only lose?

Your experiences and ideas will sure help. How many positions do you apply in consulting/ how soon something clicks. I know there are lot of factors. But please share your experiences.

Thanks much!

Looks like you switched from core stream to IT field so it depends how good your employer in marketing your profile will he able to get interview calls or not . In what field you are currently working BI or DBA , those fields are very competitive and has more jobs too and would suggest to stay over there only. When you are coming from FTE to consulting bench is common and moreover market is almost slow you can consider it as almost dead. When you are doing any gameplan be careful dont switch to new technologies it will be more messy, when you are on bench you should give it a time to get another job dont be depressed.

Thanks for the wonderful advise Bhaigan. I appreciate it much. 

I do BI development, SQL, Reporting, Extracts, Dashboards etc. So, I think I will just continue looking in that area. My other friend recommended against switching as well and told me to keep trying with existing strengths. add any skills as long as its not way far out. I was watching some R videos (which needs me to learn Statistics etc. Again, not easy to commit a lot of time at this point. May be just the basics.)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Bhaigan,

Update:

Bad news first - My project ended Friday. I will be on bench all of this week.

Now the good news -  I also had 4-5 interviews last week, and 2 to 3 looks positive. I will be accepting one of those positions today or tomorrow. From what we spoke a week ago, I decided to stay and fight in the area I am in. For each interview, I prepared well to impress the clients and it really worked. I see that clients are excited to hire me as well. It was a great experience, trying to fight through negativity and focus better on what I needed to do. In a way life is all about this. Not get worried and negative, but rather focus on task at hand, dispassionately. Like Gita says...

Thanks for your support Bhaigan!! Appreciate it much.

On 9/13/2016 at 9:35 AM, goodlife said:

Hi Bhaigan,

Update:

Bad news first - My project ended Friday. I will be on bench all of this week.

Now the good news -  I also had 4-5 interviews last week, and 2 to 3 looks positive. I will be accepting one of those positions today or tomorrow. From what we spoke a week ago, I decided to stay and fight in the area I am in. For each interview, I prepared well to impress the clients and it really worked. I see that clients are excited to hire me as well. It was a great experience, trying to fight through negativity and focus better on what I needed to do. In a way life is all about this. Not get worried and negative, but rather focus on task at hand, dispassionately. Like Gita says...

Thanks for your support Bhaigan!! Appreciate it much.

NP bhayya...its my job or respect or whatever you call to give you mental and moral support during bench period

• 2 weeks later...