Be ready to pay up if you call off a wedding: SC

Balibabu

13 minutes ago, GunturGongura said:

celeb_11who has to pay

Be ready to pay up if you call off a wedding

I got engaged last year and my wedding was scheduled to take place early this year," says Priya Hemnani, a 27-year-old advertising professional. "Since it was the first wedding in my family, we had planned an elaborate affair in Udaipur for a good two weeks. Our families were to stay at a resort. My fiance's parents were not too happy as it was an inter-community wedding. So, my father bore all the expenses of the wedding. A month before the big day, my fiance decided to call it off as he couldn't see his parents unhappy. Not only did it break my heart, but my father suffered a loss of Rs 40-odd lakhs."

Many like Hemnani, who plan extravagant weddings and end up losing all the money when it is cancelled, can now breathe a sigh of relief as the Supreme Court(SC) has said that the party who breaks the alliance has to pay up for the costs incurred.

It isn't a gender- based decision
Talking about the development, NGO worker Sauleha Agha says, "While it is a welcome move by the SC, what needs to be looked at is whether it is a gender-based one. Contrary to popular belief that only men call off a wedding and face losses, there have been several cases in the past, where men have to go through something similar when women have called off the marriages."

Snehashish Majumdar, a 30-year-old banker, was slated to tie the knot two months ago. He recounts his tale, "It was an arranged set-up and the girl was from Pune. I paid for the engagement function that took place in Mumbai. Two weeks later, her family told us that she didn't want to go ahead with the marriage because she had fallen for someone else. We had to speak to our family lawyer who ensured that they pay back at least 20 per cent of the costs that I had paid for the ceremony. We did not take the matter up to the court, but mutually settled the costs."

The flipside
Veena Chakravarthy, family and relationship therapist, feels that there can be several drawbacks to a decision like this. She elaborates, "There can be genuine cases where a person has unknowingly entered into a matrimonial alliance with someone who's a cheat or for other reasons. And when they find out and want to break away from this alliance, what do they do? Do they still pay for backing out?"

Genuine vs a fake accusation

Bombay High Court advocate Adnan Shaikh clarifies Chakravarthy's questions, "I agree that there have been cases where one realises that the person who he/she is getting married to is a) not mentally stable B) cheating on him/her or c) has other ulterior motive to getting married. It will be unfortunate for the person who has to bear the cost for breaking off the alliance in such a situation."

Ask him if there are clauses that the SC will put forth on such situations and he adds, "Unfortunately the court cannot come up with such exclusions because it is difficult to specify what is a genuine case and what is not. It is up to the court to check all the evidence and proofs, which are submitted to the court and thereby a decision will be made. Further, if the court does not find any issues presented, anyone planning to cancel a wedding post the engagement or 'roka' ceremony, will have to bear the expenses incurred by the other party."

How the ruling came into effect...

This ruling came into force after SC ruled in favour of an aggrieved girl from Thane, whose marriage was called off and penalised the Delhi boy to reimburse the cost incurred during the engagement party by her. The girl's family had filed a case under Section 420 (cheating) of Indian Penal Code (IPC) against the boy and his family in Thane. The father and son sought anticipatory bail. After mediation proceedings, they were asked to pay Rs 1.50 lakh to the girl's parents.

ifincase engagement ki marriage ki gap lo ammayi  bamchik anipisthe....adi abbayiki telisthe....aa ammayi raasaleelaku abbayi money ivvala..endi ra ayya idi naa matta la vundi...thuglak gallu anukunta....marriage called off cheyadaaniki chaala reasons vuntayi...mana telugu cinema dvd lu 100 pampali ee decision teesukunna vaadiki...