Actress Tamannaah Calls out Her Director for His Sexist Remarks

JANASENA

Actress Tamannaah was blissfully watching the film Dangal, when she came across callous remarks made by her director, Suraj on women in the Tamil film industry.

In an interview promoting his latest film Kaththi Sandai (starring the actresss), he said that he tends to reduce the hemline of his actresses’ clothes because audiences want “glamour” and not acting from actresses in commercial films.

tamannaah

Photo credit: Facebook 

He also noted that he does not believe in a “saree clad heroine”. His comments were followed by a swift backlash, including immediate criticism from Tamannah who called him out for his sexism. The actress took to social media with a statement noting, “This is 2016 and it is very ironic that I had to leave a film like Dangal in the middle, which is on woman empowerment, to tackle this issue. I am very hurt and angered by the comments made by my director Suraj and I would definitely want him to apologise, not only to me but to all women in the industry.”

She also explained that she only wore costumes that she personally was comfortable with and that women deserve not to be objectified. “We are actors, we are here to act and entertain the audience and should not at any point be objectified as commodities.”

The actress was supported by other top actors and actresses like Nayantara who also criticised the director. Suraj for his part has released a statement apologising for his remarks, saying, “I am really sorry and would like to apologise to Ms Tamannaah and all the heroines in the industry. My intention was not to show anyone in bad light or hurt their sentiments. I am sorry once again and take back my comments.”

5 minutes ago, kiladi bullodu said:

director appolize chesadu

enduku apologize chesadu man. vadannadi correct a kada... aina tamanna nayantara lantollu idi condemn cheyyoddu.. they don't have any right..

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Quickgun_murugan said:

enduku apologize chesadu man. vadannadi correct a kada... aina tamanna nayantara lantollu idi condemn cheyyoddu.. they don't have any right..

Yeah double standards. Vaallu glamor oriented roles chesinappudemi ledu kaani vadantey sexism gurthochindi. 

1 minute ago, tennisluvr said:

Yeah double standards. Vaallu glamor oriented roles chesinappudemi ledu kaani vadantey sexism gurthochindi. 

motham ippedey eeliddaru industry motham lo.. malli over esalu estunnaru..

andukey annaru.. "Vrudhdha nari Pathivrataha" ani...

Just now, Quickgun_murugan said:

motham ippedey eeliddaru industry motham lo.. malli over esalu estunnaru..

andukey annaru.. "Vrudhdha nari Pathivrataha" ani...

Ante ippudi ippina age ayipoyindi kabatti peddage choose vallu leranukunta. So ee type lo feminist cuttings. 

2 minutes ago, tennisluvr said:

Ante ippudi ippina age ayipoyindi kabatti peddage choose vallu leranukunta. So ee type lo feminist cuttings. 

*=: true ... ee cuttings 10githe anna pelli avthadi anemo.. nayanamma lolli. @3$% .. inka tammu aithe still under use by many