Jallikattu

mettastar

Just now, PendurthiBabu said:

solution simple. Chickn pox bird flu chicken gunya laga "Bull Bongi" ani kotta jabbu kanipetti adi bull to contact valla vastundhi ani chepte sagam mandi manestaru. @3$%

Dani valla impotency ostadii ante andaru touch Bhi cheyaru bull ni 

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lazybugger

• mettastar

• sarkaar

• chor

Popular Days

22 minutes ago, chor said:

culture culture antu mottalo gola

sathisahagamanam kida pqrt of our culture ee adhi enduku manesaru.. adhi kuda cheyyandi mari..

cultures constitutions eppatikappudu update avvali..

brainsvadanisheepmentality

14 minutes ago, PendurthiBabu said:

Ante Satee Sahagamanam chesinapudu evadu enjoy cheyyadu. Paiga mogudu chaste aa lady ni emina cheddam anukune vadu asalu cheyyadu. Jallikattu andaru chestaru. Enjoy! Trisha papa ki ekamga death threat PETA support chesinanduku.

asal mee mohalaki JalliKattu ante endo telsa?

ee video chusi saavandi mee mohal manda 

10 minutes ago, BulletBaskar said:

asal mee mohalaki JalliKattu ante endo telsa?

ee video chusi saavandi mee mohal manda 

my point is regarding blindly supporting something because its part of culture/heritage.. jallikattu ilanti 100 untai roju manavallaki.. part of culture so support ani modaledataru dani gurici antunna

2 minutes ago, chor said:

my point is regarding blindly supporting something because its part of culture/heritage.. jallikattu ilanti 100 untai roju manavallaki.. part of culture so support ani modaledataru dani gurici antunna

Culture is the only thing that binds people together. It may be silly or even cruel, but as long as other humans are not affected by that 'culture', one has to think really hard about poking their nose into an event that is proudly celebrated across an entire state.

What is the basis of PETA case against JalliKattu? - Animal cruelty.

Does it happen? - Yes it does. Inspite of what the organizers claim.

Should Supreme Court dictate which traditions are acceptable, which ones are not? - No. Supreme Court should have recused itself from the case. This should have been a battle between PETA and Jallikattu organizers. PETA could've come up with guidelines for ethical treatment of the bulls that are used in Jallikattu, guidelines over playing areas, and start issuing certificates, make sure JalliKattu is not glorified in movies, and other media, etc. Its a long game.

This is the problem with many social organizations. Their first recourse to solving a problem is the court. Courts that derive strength from the people, cannot dictate in matters of the same people's culture. 

Although I wish JalliKattu dies, and I dont agree with most arguments that Jallikattu organizers come up with in their defense (which is why they lost the case too), I think Supreme Court overstepped its boundaries. It gave an excuse for people who call Indian system as 'Sickular' another weapon. Why not ban Eid mass sacrifice of goats is a valid question in this case. One that nobody can answer satisfactorily.

3 minutes ago, lazybugger said:

Culture is the only thing that binds people together. It may be silly or even cruel, but as long as other humans are not affected by that 'culture', one has to think really hard about poking their nose into an event that is proudly celebrated across an entire state.

Should Supreme Court dictate which traditions are acceptable, which ones are not? - No. Supreme Court should have recused itself from the case. This should have been a battle between PETA and Jallikattu organizers. PETA could've come up with guidelines for ethical treatment of the bulls that are used in Jallikattu, guidelines over playing areas, and start issuing certificates, make sure JalliKattu is not glorified in movies, and other media, etc. Its a long game.

This is the problem with many social organizations. Their first recourse to solving a problem is the court. Courts that derive strength from the people, cannot dictate in matters of the same people's culture. 

Although I wish JalliKattu dies, and I dont agree with most arguments that Jallikattu organizers come up with in their defense (which is why they lost the case too), I think Supreme Court overstepped its boundaries. It gave an excuse for people who call Indian system as 'Sickular' another weapon. Why not ban Eid mass sacrifice of goats is a valid question in this case. One that nobody can answer satisfactorily.

good post

51 minutes ago, chor said:

culture culture antu mottalo gola

sathisahagamanam kida pqrt of our culture ee adhi enduku manesaru.. adhi kuda cheyyandi mari..

cultures constitutions eppatikappudu update avvali..

brainsvadanisheepmentality

kothhaga vachey prathi m lo fashion ki update aythey, inka adhi society avvadu.  gaaliki tirigey yedhavala gumpu avtaaru. anthey.

It is upto the people who oppose these traditions to provide a convincing argument on why these traditions should be slowly outmoded. This will take a long time. Even decades of patient convincing of the people who engage in these traditions.

The moment the opponents go to court, every little victory gained by the opponents in convincing the traditional practitioners is lost. There will be blowback.

PETA should pick its fight more carefully.

1 minute ago, lazybugger said:

kothhaga vachey prathi m lo fashion ki update aythey, inka adhi society avvadu.  gaaliki tirigey yedhavala gumpu avtaaru. anthey.

It is upto the people who oppose these traditions to provide a convincing argument on why these traditions should be slowly outmoded. This will take a long time. Even decades of patient convincing of the people who engage in these traditions.

The moment the opponents go to court, every little victory gained by the opponents in convincing the traditional practitioners is lost. There will be blowback.

@lazybugger What authority does PETA have to fight with Jallikattu organizers? Only a court/supreme court can enforce something like this. I am sure they reviewed the arguments and passed this rule. Just like someone else asked, we had other traditions like Sati sahagamanam etc. This is not 1940s for Raja Rama Mohan roy to create social revolution. I agree with eid question. Only a legal body can enforce rule where culture is blended into argument. But I think the problem is more with money involved than the culture. I can argue how village culture is changing if we go gung ho about culture's importance.

There is lots of utility for organizations like PETA and The Blue Cross. Ethical treatment of animals is a note worthy cause.

PETA should avoid pissing off people, and work with them. I know its hard when people abuse 24/7, but what to do. 

People are assholes. For the sake of animals these guys are trying to save, they should suffer that humiliation with a smile.

Btw, I'm picking up couple of puppies from The Blue Cross sometime later this year. Two Indian feral pups. I finally managed to convince my wife that it will cheer up our life. @3$%

I love The Blue Cross. I feel bad that people abuse them. :(

17 minutes ago, lazybugger said:

13 minutes ago, lazybugger said:

The moment the opponents go to court, every little victory gained by the opponents in convincing the traditional practitioners is lost. There will be blowback.

interesting topic to discuss bro.. will ltt this post..

1 minute ago, PendurthiBabu said:

@lazybugger What authority does PETA have to fight with Jallikattu organizers? Only a court/supreme court can enforce something like this. I am sure they reviewed the arguments and passed this rule. Just like someone else asked, we had other traditions like Sati sahagamanam etc. This is not 1940s for Raja Rama Mohan roy to create social revolution. I agree with eid question. Only a legal body can enforce rule where culture is blended into argument. But I think the problem is more with money involved than the culture. I can argue how village culture is changing if we go gung ho about culture's importance.

PETA doesn't have to fight anyone. They can work with the organizers to improve the event, make it less horrible for the bulls.

JalliKattu organizers were ill prepared for the court session. Their only argument on 'tradition' is quashed from the get go. PETA have valid proof of the treatment meted out to the bulls. So the court case itself is moot here.

The problem is with both money, and culture, or to put it more bluntly, caste bravado. The blowback you see on TV is casteist uprising too. Nothing more. When a legal body like the SC infringes on these upper caste sport, they will try to bully the opposition to submission by linking their tradition to culture of entire TamilNadu. 

Equating animal cruelty to human cruelty (by invoking Sati) is silly. You can only hope to convince people to find it in their hearts to recognize that animals (that feel a connection to humans, like dogs, cattle) shouldn't be harmed for fun. You cannot order them to show compassion, when they are not used to for 100s of years.

Culture is what the guy practising it describes it as. Not as an outsider does. You may feel that village culture is lost or has changed, but for them this aspect shouldn't. If villagers tell that JalliKattu is their most important festival, I can't see under what grounds SC can ban it, while turning a blind eye to other forms of animal sacrifice.

18 minutes ago, PendurthiBabu said:

Animals are property of humans. So PETA laws are all silly. Any good lawyer can argue the crap out of any PETA case. These JalliKattu morons were incompetent.

btw, I don't think Indian system is particularly 'Sickular'. It just randomly tilts towards liberalism, and minority appeasement based on which voices are the loudest.

May be that's a definition of 'sickular'. But I don't necessarily consider the above system as evil, as much as I consider Hindutva as evil itself.

Also its amusing to me that, when TamilNadu is about to face its worst water crisis in a century, dumbfcuks are worried about JalliKattu.

These are the same guys who support dalit killings by the upper caste. So I don't really feel s0rry for them. I just wish some consistency by the SC.

6 minutes ago, lazybugger said:

Animals are property of humans. So PETA laws are all silly. Any good lawyer can argue the crap out of any PETA case. These JalliKattu morons were incompetent.

mayya edhe PETTA, other pestivals apudu yenduku raru