Help - Career Advice

TheStark

I did my MS in a decent college and have been working in my field FT since last 5 years. My 140 is approved under Eb2 (PD is Aug 2015). 

Job security, salary, manager, team, etc. all are pretty good so far (touch wood). But, since last 1 year or so, I feel like my work is getting more and more monotonous and less challenging. My manager is totally aware of my work style and he assigns new projects to me from time to time. However, they are not up to the challenge/learning-curve I was hoping for. I need advice on the available options for me. 

1. Be patient until the GC is current (which could be 10 more yrs) while waiting for the next logical step for my role (that is, the manager role, which could take 5-7 yrs). 

2. Enroll in college as a part-time student and get an MBA or a second MS degree. This is allowed by my company. 

3. Leave the job, enroll in PhD as a full time student. I understand that my current GC may be washed away with this method and I am okay with re-applying for GC after PhD (~5 years). 

Thanks for your input. 

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Batman_fan

• Spartan

• TheStark

• Quickgun_murugan

1 minute ago, TheStark said:

I did my MS in a decent college and have been working in my field FT since last 5 years. My 140 is approved under Eb2 (PD is Aug 2015). 

Job security, salary, manager, team, etc. all are pretty good so far (touch wood). But, since last 1 year or so, I feel like my work is getting more and more monotonous and less challenging. My manager is totally aware of my work style and he assigns new projects to me from time to time. However, they are not up to the challenge/learning-curve I was hoping for. I need advice on the available options for me. 

1. Be patient until the GC is current (which could be 10 more yrs) while waiting for the next logical step for my role (that is, the manager role, which could take 5-7 yrs). 

2. Enroll in college as a part-time student and get an MBA or a second MS degree. This is allowed by my company. 

3. Leave the job, enroll in PhD as a full time student. I understand that my current GC may be washed away with this method and I am okay with re-applying for GC after PhD (~5 years). 

Thanks for your input. 

time and/or money?

Just now, Spartan said:

PhD join aitey life bisket pelli avvakapote join aipo...

incase ayi unte...PhD plan doesnt sound practical.

why not practical? 

Wife kooda working ayyyi, bank lo oka 20-30K savings unte, okay kada. I know that the PhD decision is huge, but in the longterm that may even get the GC sooner. 

Just now, TheStark said:

why not practical? 

Wife kooda working ayyyi, bank lo oka 20-30K savings unte, okay kada. I know that the PhD decision is huge, but in the longterm that may even get the GC sooner. 

wife working aite already 50% sukha samsaram episodes band untai..

inka nuvvu PhD start cheste a migita 50% scenes kuda closed

@kiladi bullodu la SC lu tirganike kuda time undadu.

11 minutes ago, TheStark said:

why not practical? 

PhD anedi out of interest tho cheyali...especially in US..not just for getting GC soon...even though PHD chesina GC thondaraga vastundi anna guaranty ledu..u need to have lot of papers published under your name and the job u get after u complete u r PHD requires a phd degree in order for you to qualify under EB-1. so think about u r chocies

22 minutes ago, TheStark said:

time - yes. 

money - some, but not fully. 

MBA PT is good option. You can switch  role, career, and responsibilities.

You need to figure out 2 things. How much your company is going to sponsor, and how far the best MBA program is? Best in the sense, it needs to be in top 15 in FT ranking. Otherwise, no use of MBA.

2 minutes ago, Batman_fan said:

MBA PT is good option. You can switch  role, career, and responsibilities.

You need to figure out 2 things. How much your company is going to sponsor, and how far the best MBA program is? Best in the sense, they need to be in top 15 in FT ranking. Otherwise, no use of MBA.

max 25% sponsor chestaru..adi if you are eligible for Teamlead/Manager position in 2 yrs.

8 minutes ago, Spartan said:

max 25% sponsor chestaru..adi if you are eligible for Teamlead/Manager position in 2 yrs.

Which is enough. Of course, he needs to pay taxes. A typical MBA PT program in Top 15 costs around 120K including books. 25% - taxes would come to 100K. 

After MBA, sign on bonus is 25K. Another 10K for relocation and so on. Basically, if everything works out well, the effective cost of MBA PT is 75K. He can recover that in 2-3 years. Limitless opportunities after the program.