NRIs with Senior Parents - Don't neglect read once

kool_buddi

Please make sure to take health insurance for your parents in India. This helps a lot when needed.

Also push them to do monthly checkups as  most of them neglect them a lot. If needed go to india and get this done atleast once.!

Spend sometime on their pre existing health or any hereditary health issues, if needed pay good attention on those problems.

My Story, my father is 65 years old and never been hospitalized or in hospital for a day. He used toa very active life used to walk at least 5kms until my btech days but due to age he limited his walking habits and mostly reliable upon using his bike or car. We started building a home and from the last 12 mons he has been taking care of each and everything stressing a lot. This is the kind of background.

Two weeks back, he got little fever and all of a sudden he become so week. He thought its a sun stroke and took some medicine. After two days he was not able to breathe and got admitted to local hospital, the doctor checked basic stuff and thought he got some lung infection and kept him in hospital for four days by giving daily some dose of antibiotics. Also he got high levels of sugar so he gave some insulin shots to keep those levels down. Discharged after four days assuming everything was good. The next day his feet become black and they swelled so immediately he was admitted at Ramesh Hospitals and they diagnosed that he got a slient heart stoke two weeks back and due to high sugar levels he doesnt feel that pain. They told his Left ventrical muscle was completely damages and because of that he was not able to breahte.  Because of inabilty to pump enough blood his lungs got infected and he got sepsis. Also on the day when he got admitted his platlet count was 55k vs 3lakhs and White blood count was 33k vs 4k. His kidney got damaged a bit beacuse of being diabetic for so long and there is a block somewhere at his feet that caused his feet black and now the cells are mostly dead. 

He has been in ICU for a week and still fighting to recover. Even though i told him to go for routine checkups he never listened to me and he always thinks that he was healthy. Our family has heart issues which is hereditary and he didnt even think about it. 

Doctors told they need to ampute both his feet as the cells are dead because of no or less blood supply and they have been trying to give antibiotics to clear the lung infection and sepsis which showed only a little progress. He has been kept on ventilator support from last three days and daily this hospital charges 50 to 75k depends upon the medicine and treatement they do. 

I dont know how many days it will take for him to recover and even after recovery he needs to deal with all these issues going fwd. I wish and hope he will be back and give us a chance to serve him better for all the negligence that we are responsible for his present health condition. 

Please dont make these kind of mistakes and try to think about our parents for their better life in the last phase of their life. All these H1bs, US life etc are nothing when it comes to our parents health and happiness which i realized lately after a big jolt. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

thinking of same i purchases insurance for 10 lackh

this yearmy dad is 61 

so check up done  everything normal its been over 10 years my dad went to hospital 

all is well  for now 

15 minutes ago, kool_buddi said:

Please make sure to take health insurance for your parents in India. This helps a lot when needed.

Also push them to do monthly checkups as  most of them neglect them a lot. If needed go to india and get this done atleast once.!

Spend sometime on their pre existing health or any hereditary health issues, if needed pay good attention on those problems.

My Story, my father is 65 years old and never been hospitalized or in hospital for a day. He used toa very active life used to walk at least 5kms until my btech days but due to age he limited his walking habits and mostly reliable upon using his bike or car. We started building a home and from the last 12 mons he has been taking care of each and everything stressing a lot. This is the kind of background.

Two weeks back, he got little fever and all of a sudden he become so week. He thought its a sun stroke and took some medicine. After two days he was not able to breathe and got admitted to local hospital, the doctor checked basic stuff and thought he got some lung infection and kept him in hospital for four days by giving daily some dose of antibiotics. Also he got high levels of sugar so he gave some insulin shots to keep those levels down. Discharged after four days assuming everything was good. The next day his feet become black and they swelled so immediately he was admitted at Ramesh Hospitals and they diagnosed that he got a slient heart stoke two weeks back and due to high sugar levels he doesnt feel that pain. They told his Left ventrical muscle was completely damages and because of that he was not able to breahte.  Because of inabilty to pump enough blood his lungs got infected and he got sepsis. Also on the day when he got admitted his platlet count was 55k vs 3lakhs and White blood count was 33k vs 4k. His kidney got damaged a bit beacuse of being diabetic for so long and there is a block somewhere at his feet that caused his feet black and now the cells are mostly dead. 

He has been in ICU for a week and still fighting to recover. Even though i told him to go for routine checkups he never listened to me and he always thinks that he was healthy. Our family has heart issues which is hereditary and he didnt even think about it. 

Doctors told they need to ampute both his feet as the cells are dead because of no or less blood supply and they have been trying to give antibiotics to clear the lung infection and sepsis which showed only a little progress. He has been kept on ventilator support from last three days and daily this hospital charges 50 to 75k depends upon the medicine and treatement they do. 

I dont know how many days it will take for him to recover and even after recovery he needs to deal with all these issues going fwd. I wish and hope he will be back and give us a chance to serve him better for all the negligence that we are responsible for his present health condition. 

Please dont make these kind of mistakes and try to think about our parents for their better life in the last phase of their life. All these H1bs, US life etc are nothing when it comes to our parents health and happiness which i realized lately after a big jolt. 

but the cold truth is we want money over parents... You don't believe some people visit India every 5 years... 

when we were young we used to cry if our parents live in a different place (like if we are studying in hostels etc) now we have grown up so much that we don't look after them...

Good info bro but parents crossed 60 years of age Insurance is not that great option i mean coverage limits and not as easy as it sound. Good thing to start early and don't regret for not having one in case needed.

24 minutes ago, kool_buddi said:

sugar control lo leda there will be bigger complications bro. Best of Luck for his recovery bro

42 minutes ago, kool_buddi said:

I hope your father recovers soon. Thank you for sharing bro. Nenu going back correct decision aa kaadhaa ani dilemma lo vunna veldhaam ani decide iyyaka kudaa from last 6 months but last week decided inka this is the last year ikkada ani. 

1 hour ago, kevinUsa said:

this yearmy dad is 61 

so check up done  everything normal its been over 10 years my dad went to hospital 

all is well  for now 

baaa... pelli eppudu

1 hour ago, kool_buddi said:

1 hour ago, kevinUsa said:

this yearmy dad is 61 

all is well  for now 

insurance info post karo bro

4 minutes ago, Kalam_Youtheman said:

insurance info post karo bro

apollo optimum health 

45 k 

ku  10 lacks 

pre existing conditions ku 3 years 

23 minutes ago, kevinUsa said:

apollo optimum health 

45 k 

ku  10 lacks