SC Holds Anil Ambani Guilty of Contempt, 3-Month Jail to Follow if Ericsson Not Paid in 4 Weeks

Kool_SRG

The top court said Anil Ambani and two directors of the company will have to pay Rs 453 crore with interest to Ericsson India within four weeks, failing which they face three-month jail.

Untitled-design-521.png

New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Wednesday held industrialist Anil Ambani and Reliance Communication guilty of contempt for breaching undertakings to clear outstanding dues to Ericsson India. 

Ambani and directors of the group companies, however, escaped the jail term since the court said that the contempt can be purged by making clear the dues within four weeks, along with an interest.

A bench headed by Justice Rohinton F Nariman ordered Ambani and the RCom companies to pay up Rs 453 crore with interest within four weeks. It added that the contemnors will suffer a jail term of three months and an additional penalty of Rs 1 crore if they fail to make the payment in four weeks.

Justice Nariman read out the relevant part of his judgment, in which, Ambani and the other directors have been held culpable of wilful disobedience and gross contempt of court.

"RCom had no intention to abide with the undertakings… Undertakings were false to the knowledge of the RCom and group companies. This amounts to contempt of court," said the judge.

It maintained that RCom chairman Anil Ambani committed wilful disobedience personally as well. 

"We, however, think the contempt can be purged by clearing the payments with interest," maintained the court.

Ambani and the other directors were present in the courtroom when the order was pronounced. 

RCom was hauled up for contempt for not making the payment of Rs 550 crore to Ericsson despite the court orders and subsequent undertakings by the company and its directors.

The case had seen an extraordinary event when two Supreme Court officials were sacked last week after they tampered with a judicial order, making it look favourable to Ambani. 

While the court had sought personal presence of Ambani pursuant to the notice of contempt, the tampering made it look like he did not need to show up.

453 crores katakapothey 3 months jail and 1 crore fine anta...

if I was Ambani, I would be happy to go to jail for three months and by doing nothing I would still earn 453 crores and Ericsson would do nothing to get those 453 crores once I serve the jail term.

6 minutes ago, Sreeven said:

Pickpocket ki vestaru 6 months. Intha pedda mosaniki 3 months a ?

If not payed with in 4 weeks aah 3 months jail and 1 crore penalty.. Anthe gaani not that actual amount 453 crores plus interest ki mangalam kaadu.. 

45 minutes ago, Kool_SRG said:

The top court said Anil Ambani and two directors of the company will have to pay Rs 453 crore with interest to Ericsson India within four weeks, failing which they face three-month jail.

Untitled-design-521.png

New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Wednesday held industrialist Anil Ambani and Reliance Communication guilty of contempt for breaching undertakings to clear outstanding dues to Ericsson India. 

Ambani and directors of the group companies, however, escaped the jail term since the court said that the contempt can be purged by making clear the dues within four weeks, along with an interest.

A bench headed by Justice Rohinton F Nariman ordered Ambani and the RCom companies to pay up Rs 453 crore with interest within four weeks. It added that the contemnors will suffer a jail term of three months and an additional penalty of Rs 1 crore if they fail to make the payment in four weeks.

Justice Nariman read out the relevant part of his judgment, in which, Ambani and the other directors have been held culpable of wilful disobedience and gross contempt of court.

"RCom had no intention to abide with the undertakings… Undertakings were false to the knowledge of the RCom and group companies. This amounts to contempt of court," said the judge.

It maintained that RCom chairman Anil Ambani committed wilful disobedience personally as well. 

"We, however, think the contempt can be purged by clearing the payments with interest," maintained the court.

Ambani and the other directors were present in the courtroom when the order was pronounced. 

RCom was hauled up for contempt for not making the payment of Rs 550 crore to Ericsson despite the court orders and subsequent undertakings by the company and its directors.

The case had seen an extraordinary event when two Supreme Court officials were sacked last week after they tampered with a judicial order, making it look favourable to Ambani. 

While the court had sought personal presence of Ambani pursuant to the notice of contempt, the tampering made it look like he did not need to show up.

Looks like veedu assam

54 minutes ago, Android_Halwa said:

if I was Ambani, I would be happy to go to jail for three months and by doing nothing I would still earn 453 crores and Ericsson would do nothing to get those 453 crores once I serve the jail term.

Antha ledu bhayya deentlo edo twist undi, aa 453 crores court anil ambani properties seeze chesi velam ki pettachu, velam lo vachina dabbu ericsson tisukovachu

57 minutes ago, Android_Halwa said:

This jail and penalty is only if he fails to pay up the debt to Ericsson with in 4 weeks its not that amount is forgone if he fails to pay up.. 

veedi company stocks kooda drastic ga padipoinaai Rcom 800 rupees stock ippudu 5 rupees dagggara trade avthundi rpower rel capital reliance home finance kooda assam ye papam ADAG investors