Why you should stand up?

DrBeta

not just stand up, but rejig the entire economy to create more workers exploring nature and its mysteries.

stop wasting money on high priced condos, rentals for labs, or even branded scientific instruments. opensource everything..

feed everyone for free, house everyone for free, clothe everyone for free.., and see how much the interest spikes in Science and arts. not commercial arts, but arts.

share knowledge like its meant to be.

don't create Elon Musks and Steve Jobs. total waste of resources.

they just increase the cost of human labour, which affects every human endeavor that needs lots of manhours, even intellectual man hours.

When firms compete with each other, consumers get the best possible prices, quantity, and quality of goods and services. I don't believe in communism. I believe that humans thrive under pressure, struggle is good. No competition, no progress.

7 minutes ago, DrBeta said:

When firms compete with each other, consumers get the best possible prices, quantity, and quality of goods and services. I don't believe in communism. I believe that humans thrive under pressure, struggle is good. No competition, no progress.

but firms don't compete. they form cartels and fix prices.

whether you believe or not, communism is what happens if the market is fair.

when it is rigged in favour of a few companies - like it now is, then people are stuck inside capitalist bubble with slave labour rates, and no way out, other than a crash, and the govt not pokin its nose to help their fav actors.

create the perfect free competitive market, where firms compete, and see how fast communism arrives. It'll become pointless for a person to own a company in a perfect free market.

6 minutes ago, DrBeta said:

which firms compete, please tell..

every area is monopolized now. and the monopoly is not the result of a better product, but other extraneous things like leveragig govt to shut out competitor, etc.

every European country tries to shut out american companies, and vice versa.

wheres the free market?

If I teach a class of fifty students, only 10% of them are motivated towards getting a good education, maybe another 20% are motivated towards getting good grades, another 30% about getting a job. If someone is putting in 150% effort and someone else is putting in 35% effort, I am not going to give them both an A grade. 

the trade deals themselves are manifestations of this huge waste of resources.

humans can compete, and should compete, but not at the basic level for food, and basic amenities.

they can fix that game a little higher, so failures would still have something to eat when they fail, even if they lose face socially, and becoming laughing stock.

4 minutes ago, DrBeta said:

If I teach a class of fifty students, only 10% of them are motivated towards getting a good education, maybe another 20% are motivated towards getting good grades, another 30% about getting a job. If someone is putting in 150% effort and someone else is putting in 35% effort, I am not going to give them both an A grade. 

there's a pass grade, that you can give to people who make minimum effort.

this economy gives fail grades to people at the bottom, inspite of them working 2-3 jobs. and gives A++++++ to mediocre fcuks, hence increasing their cost of labour to stratospheric levels that can't be afforded by science.

science will always remain a collaborative effort, not a competitive one - inspite of the mad rush to get things published.

it'll be helpful if huge sectors of the economy are brought under public control (not govt), so people can be freed from their anxiety of getting their next meal, and they can focus on recording that experimental indie song they wrote in their mind, or work on quarks interacting with gluons.

Failure is not the end, it's only an opportunity to try again later, this time wiser. No one should or can laugh at anyone else, that's just ridiculous. Some people are privileged like me, I don't disagree. I do appreciate the opportunities I got. In a race, one needs to encourage the slow runners. But, I wouldn't want to slow down the fastest runner in a race. 

5 minutes ago, DrBeta said:

The system can be gamed. and it has been gamed.

no point talking about virtue of competition, when the competition is rigged.

Just now, DrBeta said:

Failure is not the end, it's only an opportunity to try again later, this time wiser. No one should or can laugh at anyone else, that's just ridiculous. Some people are privileged like me, I don't disagree. I do appreciate the opportunities I got. In a race, one needs to encourage the slow runners. But, I wouldn't want to slow down the fastest runner in a race. 

If they have something to eat, and survive to try again. most of them are busy working to put food on the table. Its unnecessary, pointless, and a huge waste of human resource.