What is your view on Bollywood/Indian movies?

Vindieselwalker

Myself as an Indian I don't find Bollywood interesting. As we have many languages in India, we've a lot of movie industries. But, when India comes to a foreigner movie buff all they think of is Bollywood. I feel the Telugu (Tollywood) and Tamil (Kollywood) and Malayalam language films are far better than Bollywood mainstreams. Bollywood used to be good but nepotism ruined it. You can watch Visaranai(Tamil), Banglore Days(Malayalam), Vedam(Telugu).

• 1 month later...

According to me the term Bollywood is quite an abstraction of various bands in filmmaking mainly in Mumbai aiming for Hindi films. They didn't count ‘parallel cinema’ in it till the 21st century, but now this demarcation does not exist as experimental cinema too is finding its audience while new ideas are being incorporated in commercial movies.

Spankbang Therefore firstly, I must tell about the popular Bollywood movies including most SRK, SK movies and various movies by filmmakers like Rohit Shetty, Sanjay Bhansali, Karan Johar etc. I simply deem that industry as a separate industry from what I am working in and for. The target audience for their movies is vastly different from the people I wanna make movies for. Those are in general MASALA MOVIES, by definition they either do not need a unique plot or they will apply some formulas to turn the story into something that their audience is already prepared for. They create stars and brand them to their fans. I am not an admirer of that flavour of movies finding those to be a totally different ballgame from my idea of cinema.

I have mixed opinion for that type of movies. I believe in freedom or expression and market. They have every right to make movies that earn good profits to the producers and ultimately give a good foundation for filmmaking in Bollywood which supports such a huge industry. On the other hand, I feel as they are aware how they can get good returns without working much into their movies, they have gone a bit inert towards introducing new ideas and methods that can help even their genre to succeed more. Amir Khan and Raju Hirani, have recently proved that innovation even in popular genre works pretty well and brings even enviable results commercially.

Other than those big budgeted movies, there are filmmakers who mostly make movies under 8–20 Cr, and expect a return maximum to 30–70Cr. That is the band of filmmakers that are innovative in approach. They includes lesser risk by keeping they expected targets clear. Those are the type of movie I like; those include Anurag Kashyap, Vishal Bhardwaj, Abhishek Chaubey, Rajat Kapoor and their band of filmmakers along with Ritesh Batra, Neeraj Pandey and many newly emerging faces. I find myself admiring this band as it raises over masala stuff, and presents us movies that can compete with International cinema and significantly portray the substantial themes.

So, to be clear, if Bollywood stands for singing-dancing masala movies with all the typical traits of Bollywoodness, I am not an admirer of that style of filmmaking. I rarely watch those movie, and I expect Hindi film industry to gradually grow over it.