Australian and American found shot dead along Canadian highway

tacobell fan

The couple, 23-year-old Australian man Lucas Fowler and 24-year-old American Chynna Deese, were found dead along the Alaska Highway in Canada. Australia's NSW Police confirmed the pair had been shot. The Royal Canadian Mounted Police said they have no reason to believe the murders were the work of a serial killer.

D_4wECHUcAAB9Fr.jpg

A bearded mystery man spotted having a “heated exchange” with the young couple found murdered in British Columbia last week could help investigators crack the case, according to a new report.

Chynna Noelle Deese, 24, of Charlotte, North Carolina, and her beau Lucas Robertson Fowler, of Australia, were found shot dead on the side of a remote highway in the westernmost Canadian province last week.

SEE ALSO

Road worker Alandra Hull told 9News AustraliaMonday that she spotted Fowler and Deese on the highway the night before their bodies were discovered — talking to a bearded man who “kind of looked frustrated or something.”

The man, who got out of his grey car, was standing in the middle of the highway as Fowler and Deese stood beside their van, Hull told the outlet.

“If you just get a bad feeling, and that’s what I had, you just don’t stop,” Hull said.

She has since given a statement to police and will work with a sketch artist to depict the man, according to the report.

SKIP AD

354.jpg?mode=stretch&connatiximg=true&scale=both&height=348&width=618

Meanwhile, Curtis and Sandra Broughton told Canada’s Global News that they’d spoken to the couple and helped them fix their broken-down van hours before their bodies were discovered.

“There was a van broken down on the side of the road, and we pulled over to see if they needed help,” Curtis told the outlet, adding that the couple was still “happy and smiling” despite their bad luck.

Enlarge Image The blue van being used by Chynna Noelle Deese and Lucas Robertson Fowler at the scene where they were found deadReuters

“They seemed like they kind of had it under control,” Curtis recalled. “It was mechanical issues with the van. They were having a picnic waiting for the van to unflood, I guess, and try to start it again.”

The Broughtons offered the couple food and water before they left them to go on their way.

“I’m a mechanic, and they explained the problem perfectly,” Curtis told the outlet. “I was impressed. So I was confident they were going to be on their way.”

But once the Broughtons spoke to police Friday, they realized they may have been among the last to see the young couple alive.

“We were there to help them, almost like an angel there to help them in a way,” Sandra shared. “We were trying to be good and help them, but then that same day the complete opposite of humanity hurt them like that. It just blows my mind that on that same highway there could be so much good and then so evil at the same time.”

Local residents have become increasingly concerned following a string of disturbing reports in the region. Only days later, two teens were reported missing — and a man’s dead body was found just over a mile from their burning truck.

Cops have acknowledged “growing community concerns” about the incidents — but have said they do not know whether the cases are related.