Nisha Katona, founder of Mowgli, London

tacobell fan

Nisha-Katona-founder-of-Mowgli-2018.jpg

Fast-growing Indian street food restaurant group Mowgli is ditching single-use plastics in all its restaurants, while also pressuring suppliers to do the same.

Founder Nisha Katona announced its commitment to improving sustainability as the group prepares to launch another three sites in Cardiff , Leicester and Bristol in the next three months, taking the total number of venues to 11.

As well as ending the use of single-use plastics, the group is also lobbying a leading international beer brand, to ditch plastic packaging.

Nisha said: “At Mowgli our purpose is to enrich lives in the cities where we work, and it’s vitally important both to me, and my team that we are an ethical business that operates in the right way.

“We emailed the brewer about its use of plastics in packaging as we all know the devastating impact they have on marine life - and I was delighted that they listened.”

Alongside lobbying suppliers, Mowgli has launched its own charitable foundation to benefit communities both in the UK and overseas.

The north west company sends 40 members of staff every year to work in and learn about land management and the effects of global warming in countries like India.

In addition, for every new member of staff the business takes on, Mowgli will sponsor a child in India or Africa, as well as fund female entrepreneurship programmes overseas too.

Closer to home, each restaurant will chose a local charity to support, with a total of £500,000 raised in 2018 for initiatives ranging from cancer hospices to supporting ex-offenders.

Nisha adds: “I want my teams to be nourished, fulfilled and purposeful and our excellent staff retention rate tells me that our ethical approach is striking a chord with them.”

Meanwhile, Mowgli, which is backed by leading investment company Foresight Group, is continuing to perform strongly and continue its expansion programme at a rate of around five new sites a year.

Claire Alvarez, director at Foresight Group said: “We are thrilled with Mowgli’s performance and continued growth. I believe the work that Nisha and her team are doing to deliver the sustainability agenda is setting a new benchmark in the sector.”