Half of TSRTC to go private

hyperbole

6 minutes ago, lovemystate said:

easy to praise when far. Ofcourse most ordinary brahmins are not evil in a very cognizant way. They simply accept the benefits they get in an hierarchial society and look away at others - its more like evil by default. By the way  this also includes other feudal and allied castes too like kammas, reddies velamas etc but to a somewhat lesser extent.  But powerful brahmins still scheme and try to keep their leverage up. I still recollect the hesitation to move to hyd until its no longer possible to avoid it. But they were all gaga about pune, kolkotta. ofcourse its just my personal observation.

possible.  that they avoided Hyd by design. I run toolmaking firms, so I always had all these guys on a leash. lol.

its always helpful to not think about caste when around these guys (all uppercastes), and use forums such as these to rant about them. haha..

27 minutes ago, crashnburn said:

personally, I would invest in a place that has the all right infra. including human, and other physical infra for an industry. Not because someone made a great presentation.

definitely agree that CBN went out of his way to and made everyone's heads turn. I had my first startup in 2005, and close associates who came to know that I'm telugu, first thing they used to tell me was 'CBN is awesome', even though I constantly had to remind them that I'm from Madras, not Hyd. i'm not sure if CBN built the India brand, or his own brand. I was out of India by the late 90s itself.

CBN was very available for these mega investors like Microsoft. but my dad had a very bad experience in the late 90s, after shiftin quarter of his production to Andhra on the promise of free power, and sales tax cut. that reimbursement never came. but my dad always held CBN in high esteem. that's probably class solidarity perhaps. I wouldn't know. he would vote for cbn until he passed away.

I think CBN would have been a bigger success if he focused on creating infra to augment food production in AP, and offering tax holidays to food processing units, than on IT.

but looks like CBN learnt that lesson the second time around, and aimed for comprehensive push of several sectors, than just focusing on one like last time. but sadly he didn't have the resources, and got stuck with amaravati which went nowhere.

Regarding your dad experience - its pretty much default experience. Infact selling to indian government  or any state governments is an even bigger pains. Leave alone incentives even the hard work you have done for them will not be paid. In early 2000s sometime govt came up with a policy for renewables based energy. A dynamic telugu guy hailing from chennai took up on this went to russia , understood the process of extracting electricity from some agri crop (forgot what it is)and set up a plant in karnataka. At that time this vidyut pravah electricity grid based market wasnt there. He had to run pillar to post to get the money he was owed by kar govt for the electricity he supplied. 

But rather than politicians its actually bureacrats who are the criminals . The have contempt for local businessmen and think paying them is like paying from their pockets. There is a reason why manufacturing doesnt thrive in india - not the only reason through.

19 minutes ago, lovemystate said:

ofcourse there were many failures of CBN. Not sufficiently recognizing the inherent injustice of indian and hindu society - maybe he thought those battles were way beyond him.

that's not what I expect from CBN. or from any political leader.

I expect him to create an administrative infrastructure that successfully delegates authority to the right officers, instead of being a one-stop shop for every approval needed from the govt.

I speak from experience (via my father) about this. looks like he got better at this in his second stint.

to compare CBN with TN cms, I'd say that TN cms stick to politics, while delegating governance to officers (jayalalitha in her 3rd term is the exception). CBN wants to do both. 

if we assume that CBN wanted to bring in that one mega corporation that would create and sustain little local suppliers (sorta what TVS did to Chennai), don't you think microsoft (a service based company) was the wrong choice?

It would have been great if CBN could've gotten Andhra Semi Conductor corp like TSMC (lol). now that would've changed the face of Andhra, and also south india.

but still, its a happy accident. CBN's gambit in the 90s paid off. But its my contention that Hyd would still have become an IT hotspot, because all Telugu CMs were smart and industrious. just like CBN. They may not have recognized IT in the 90s, but would have by early 2000s.

13 minutes ago, crashnburn said:

if we assume that CBN wanted to bring in that one mega corporation that would create and sustain little local suppliers (sorta what TVS did to Chennai), don't you think microsoft (a service based company) was the wrong choice?

It would have been great if CBN could've gotten Andhra Semi Conductor corp like TSMC (lol). now that would've changed the face of Andhra, and also south india.

but still, its a happy accident. CBN's gambit in the 90s paid off. But its my contention that Hyd would still have become an IT hotspot, because all Telugu CMs were smart and industrious. just like CBN. They may not have recognized IT in the 90s, but would have by early 2000s.

Well he did try for manufacturing but its harder. One of his other brave decisions was port development. He was fed up with vizag port which is the best sea side real estate of andhra (natural harbor) occupied by central government (it forcibly nationalized in 60s) and doing nothing for the city. He on his own got gangavaram port just few kms south of vizag port. Krishnapatnam port was also his brainchild.

With microsoft it was a coup honestly. Yes we can debate it benefits upper castes more etc. But in reality such white collar high quality jobs rarely go to poor countries and areas. It lit up dreams and aspirations. Most telugu folks aspire for america now . spend thousands of hours upskilling them on tech courses in ameerpet which many developed country citizens give up on as too challenging. If not for such a pipeline to american telugu people would be nothing but a marginizaled funny south indians living under constant  delhi humiliation. It is that america connection which made delhi petthanam a bit bearable because delhi doesnt matter that much anymore when it comes to jobs or aspirations.

27 minutes ago, crashnburn said:

Regarding other telugu CMs they are smart all right but had that much vision to plug in to the IT services trend is doubtful. it is like the initial guy who analyzes the completely new problem and breaks it down to understandable chunks. once it becomes understandable it looks very easy and many people think what that guy did is obvious and any one could have done it. Yes someone else could have done it too or it is also possible that they went in wrong direction and made a mess for years.