Indians chefs lack finesse

hyperbole

Once of my most watched TV apart from sports is Food Network. Indian chefs who take part in these competitions look lost or usually end up making some curry out of the secret ingredient and that crap doesn’t look any innovative when compared to others.

I think Indian, Mexican and to some extent Chinese lacks finesse like French or Japanese cuisines.

Also what I noticed there is absolutely no innovation in the modern Indian cooking like other counterparts. French and Japanese are a treat to watch. Gastronomy is like a science and how some chefs use ingredients them is so fascinating to watch.

For a place like Bay Area we have no fine dining Indian restaurants and even if there are any in SFO/MV all they serve is the same crap that they make in a lot.

To some extent Mexican restaurants are better in my opinion.

Very few Indian chefs like Vineet Bhatia left India to innovate India food and became Michelin star chefs but such chefs are very far and few. 

In general current generation  Indian chefs lack innovation in my opinion. Rant over

3 minutes ago, hyperbole said:

Once of my most watched TV apart from sports is Food Network. Indian chefs who take part in these competitions look lost or usually end up making some curry out of the secret ingredient and that crap doesn’t look any innovative when compared to others.

I think Indian, Mexican and to some extent Chinese lacks finesse like French or Japanese cuisines.

Also what I noticed there is absolutely no innovation in the modern Indian cooking like other counterparts. French and Japanese are a treat to watch. Gastronomy is like a science and how some chefs use ingredients them is so fascinating to watch.

For a place like Bay Area we have no fine dining Indian restaurants and even if there are any in SFO/MV all they serve is the same crap that they make in a lot.

Very few Indian chefs like Vineet Bhatia left India to innovate India food and became Michelin star chefs but such chefs are very far and few. 

In general current generation  Indian chefs lack innovation in my opinion. Rant over

Can't expect food culture from nations where people still go hungry . 

It will improve once we reach higher GDP per capita. Already some high end Chinese / mexican restaurants are becoming popular since they are ahead of us by per capita by magnitudes . 

Same for Africa ...they have a variety of traditional cuisines but the poverty is holding them back from being popular

4 minutes ago, Ryzen_renoir said:

Can't expect food culture from nations where people still go hungry . 

It will improve once we reach higher GDP per capita. Already some high end Chinese / mexican restaurants are becoming popular since they are ahead of us by per capita by magnitudes . 

Same for Africa ...they have a variety of traditional cuisines but the poverty is holding them back from being popular

In general we lack the artistic taste to appreciate how a certain dish is served. Also our appetites for spices made it difficult for us to appreciate  subtleties of other cuisines.

Our palette is ruined by lots of spices that too in excessive amount. 

Usually , for a dish you should be able to tell the ingredients - at least some of them. Each of them contribute to the overall taste, smell without overpowering each other.

Most of the Indian dishes that are served in restaurants are opposite. Chefs have to start from normal restaurants and they never get a chance to try dishes with limited ingredients or push the boundaries. 

3 minutes ago, hunkyfunky said:

Our palette is ruined by lots of spices that too in excessive amount. 

Usually , for a dish you should be able to tell the ingredients - at least some of them. Each of them contribute to the overall taste, smell without overpowering each other.

Most of the Indian dishes that are served in restaurants are opposite. Chefs have to start from normal restaurants and they never get a chance to try dishes with limited ingredients or push the boundaries. 

100% agree with you on this 

1 hour ago, hyperbole said:

my small rant on your rant....

food is for sustenance 

though i appreciate a craftful recipe  by combining unusual ingredients and whipping out something inconceivable and tasting absolutely great

Modern gastronomy in its most parts can suk my dik 

wtf is loster foam anyways .

presesntation is just a part of the craft  not entirity, having said that yes indian chefs are somehow content to stciking to thier base roots and dont do anything wildly different

Subcontinent has been a famine ridden place for the 4-5 generations , indeed there is an article i read sometime back hinting that pickling and making curries spicier  was a result of this famines. a spicier curry means small portion of curry can be shared amongst  ppl in times of dire needs 

Mexicans are a proud bunch they just focus on sharp contrasting flavors and textures

i dont know why u included chinese in your rant, they seems to do very well in their presentation skills.

a chinese boss/higher up told me once "never will you ever see a small menu in chinese restaurant, coz its an insult to head chef if he can only serve limited number of varieties to guests "

french rest ki pothey single page menu untaadhi  with at max 6-7 entrees 

44 minutes ago, sattipandu said:

my small rant on your rant....

food is for sustenance 

though i appreciate a craftful recipe  by combining unusual ingredients and whipping out something inconceivable and tasting absolutely great

Modern gastronomy in its most parts can suk my dik 

wtf is loster foam anyways .

presesntation is just a part of the craft  not entirity, having said that yes indian chefs are somehow content to stciking to thier base roots and dont do anything wildly different

Subcontinent has been a famine ridden place for the 4-5 generations , indeed there is an article i read sometime back hinting that pickling and making curries spicier  was a result of this famines. a spicier curry means small portion of curry can be shared amongst  ppl in times of dire needs 

Mexicans are a proud bunch they just focus on sharp contrasting flavors and textures

i dont know why u included chinese in your rant, they seems to do very well in their presentation skills.

a chinese boss/higher up told me once "never will you ever see a small menu in chinese restaurant, coz its an insult to head chef if he can only serve limited number of varieties to guests "

french rest ki pothey single page menu untaadhi  with at max 6-7 entrees 

I am talking about the skills and interpretation of a particular ingredient, for example if you give an avacado to an Indian chef probably they end up making a curry or some crap by adding chat masala. What I want to see is infuse avacado in to Indian food such way that the food is still Indian at heart but also elevates the taste of avacado.

What I want see at least some representation from India on the big stage who would help take Indian food to all corners but with a local touch based on the ingredients available in those places.

Our chefs are impersonators and  not innovative, if you look at world’s best chefs you will know what I am talking about.

A Chinese typically serving 5 page menu is not finesse but a mass market restaurant. There are Chinese restaurants who cater to the elite and chefs who are eilte. Japanese are leaps and bounds ahead if you follow Japense cuisine.

The finesse of french cuisine is beyond our imagination. For example :French Laundry in Napa takes reservations every 2 months and they open the reservations 10 am first Monday of every even month.

9 minutes ago, hyperbole said:

The finesse of french cuisine is beyond our imagination. For example :French Laundry in Napa takes reservations every 2 months and they open the reservations 10 am first Monday of every even month.

what is this man

ante ipudu indian food ki reservations chestene good

our(sub continent) food is vastly different from rest of the world , so valaki manadi antha easy ga alavatu avvadu

akkadiki edo indian food worst food ani tega feel avutunav 

11 minutes ago, hyperbole said:

I am talking about the skills and interpretation of a particular ingredient, for example if you give an avacado to an Indian chef probably they end up making a curry or some crap by adding chat masala. What I want to see is infuse avacado in to Indian food such way that the food is still Indian at heart but also elevates the taste of avacado.

What I want see at least some representation from India on the big stage who would help take Indian food to all corners but with a local touch based on the ingredients available in those places.

Our chefs are impersonators and  not innovative, if you look at world’s best chefs you will know what I am talking about.

A Chinese typically serving 5 page menu is not finesse but a mass market restaurant. There are Chinese restaurants who cater to the elite and chefs who are eilte. Japanese are leaps and bounds ahead if you follow Japense cuisine.

I get it what ur angle is

Finesse and indian culinary arts rarely go hand in hand

Just now, Manikyam said:

what is this man

our(sub continent) food is vastly different from rest of the world , so valaki manadi antha easy ga alavatu avvadu

I didn’t mean that way. I  just cited any example for French cuisine for the fact it has fever items on the menu but are extremely popular among fine dining experiences 

8 minutes ago, Manikyam said:

what is this man

yes entha hype isthey antha best cuisine annattu emo 

2 minutes ago, hyperbole said:

I didn’t mean that way. I  just cited any example for French cuisine for the fact it has fever items on the menu but are extremely popular among fine dining experiences 

they are popular as their style is similar

10 minutes ago, reality said:

Nala bheema paakam...??

Indian food taste theliyani ee foreigners big losers...

Food matter lo look and feel kante taste is important...

How do judge the taste? You need to have subtleties to appreciate any cuisines. You just cannot put the same masalas in evey curry you make and that’s what make you lose that subtle touch. I am just saying A lime or orange jest can elivate the taste of a fish with subtle use on only few masalas- that kind of experimentation and innovation is desired