Australians at their best again. Haddin cheats

ypavank

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBv4gq72p4M

Daniel Vettori was disappointed Brad Haddin did not make an effort to prevent Neil Broom from leaving the field after the wicketkeeper dislodged the bails in a bowled dismissal in Perth. New Zealand went on to win the game on the last ball, but Broom's exit came at a critical time, ending his 42-run partnership with Ross Taylor.

Haddin's gloves were in front of the stumps and knocked off the bails, with Michael Clarke's delivery also heading over the stumps. Neither umpire noticed Haddin's movement, but it was clear on the replay.

"I think you saw from Haddin's reaction that he knew something was wrong so he probably should have made more noise about it," Vettori told NZPA after the win. "It is [disappointing] because I thought that was the partnership that was going to win the game, so it put us under a bit more pressure. We've just got to make sure it doesn't happen again."

Ponting spoke before he had seen a replay but challenged Vettori to be sure of his Haddin criticism. "It's a bit much, he's basically claiming [Haddin's] a cheat, isn't he? That's a bit strong unless they're 100% certain.

"We'll wait and see. If [a replay] does show anything that Brad is in the clear, I'll certainly be letting Daniel know about it. It's probably worth Haddin having a chat to him as well. He's basically had a bit of a crack at Haddin's make-up."

Haddin told Ponting the ball had hit the top of off stump. "The umpire gave it out and the batsman walked off, and the next I heard of it was when I was asked about it at the end of play," Ponting said. "[Haddin] obviously didn't know, because if he knew then he wouldn't have claimed it. Whatever we're saying about Brad Haddin here, you can't say that knowingly happened, that is for sure."

Ponting's night grew worse when he was fined 20% of his match fee after being two overs behind the required rate. The rest of the team received 10% punishments. Australia get the chance to hit back in the second match of the Chappell-Hadlee Series in Melbourne on Friday.