Farmer destroys cauliflower crops over poor prices, says 'forced to sell produce at Rs 1 kg'

Ryzen_renoir

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSLR2mOAUXAjoT_Covzle3Shamli (Uttar Pradesh) [India], December 18 (ANI): Amid the ongoing farmers' protests against farm laws and minimum support price (MSP) for agricultural produce, a farmer in Shamli's Mayapuri village destroyed his standing crop of cauliflowers, claiming that he was being forced to sell his produce at Rs 1 kilogram -- much below the cost price

"I am not able to sell cauliflowers. I am only getting Rs 1 per kilogram. I have cauliflower on 5 bigha land. Its worth is Rs 1 lakh," Ramesh, the farmer told ANI.
He further said the new farm laws will harm the interests of farmers and extended his support to their protests.

District Magistrate Jasjit Kaur said that Horticulture officials and sub-divisional magistrate have been instructed to meet the farmer.

"A case has come to our knowledge, where a farmer in Mayapuri village destroyed his cauliflower crop. Horticulture officials and SDM have been instructed to go and meet him. They have been asked to submit a detailed report for further action," Kaur said.

Potato prices crash 70% from November peak on higher arrivals

Potato prices have crashed nearly 70 percent across primary agricultural markets from their peak of Rs 2,900-2,750 a quintal in the last week of November on higher arrivals.

“Prices are actually below Rs 800 a quintal in most growing regions. The new crop is higher than last year as many farmers went for the crop as prices ruled high during the sowing time,” said Patit Paban De, former president of West Bengal Cold Storage Association.

According to the consumer affairs ministry, potato prices in Delhi were Rs 21 a kg on January 11 against Rs 45 on November 30, while in Mumbai they dipped to Rs 32 from Rs 52. During the same period a year ago, the kitchen staple was selling at Rs 28 and Rs 36 a kg.

Farm laws will help kada. They can sell the produce at a contract price and they will know the price before hand.

Am I missing something? I did not see the bill language myself

10 minutes ago, AndhraneedSCS said:

Farm laws will help kada. They can sell the produce at a contract price and they will know the price before hand.

Same question. Except for the agreements and the court cases they are in favor of farmers kada... MSP is only for paddy and wheat and some dals anthe kada... migatha annitiki MSP kuda ledu... Also MSP is the least price they could get, directga ammithe ekkuva paisal vastayi... What am I missing..I saw the bill debates in various channels (different political parties)

18 minutes ago, AndhraneedSCS said:

The main problem is excess production at certain time periods like tomato in Andhra Pradesh .

Contract farming will not solve it at all because no one will buy the forward contract for that exact month where price will crash historically .

The solution is regulated farming like in case of Telangana but in the whole nation and increased research to  develop varieties that can fruit all over the year . 

But no one wants to follow through with tough steps , these farm laws will not solve this issue , it will only make it worse

6 minutes ago, Ryzen_renoir said:

The main problem is excess production at certain time periods like tomato in Andhra Pradesh .

Contract farming will not solve it at all because no one will buy the forward contract for that exact month where price will crash historically .

The solution is regulated farming like in case of Telangana but in the whole nation and increased research to  develop varieties that can fruit all over the year . 

But no one wants to follow through with tough steps , these farm laws will not solve this issue , it will only make it worse

inkekkadi telangana... monna ghmc elections odipoyaka chetulu ettesadu kcr... evaraina emaina eppudaina pandinchochu...

9 minutes ago, Ryzen_renoir said:

That is not how contracts work. 

1 minute ago, AndhraneedSCS said:

That is not how contracts work. 

But corporates are not blind to exploit this loophole... They will provide a lesser quote for that vegetable that will be grown extensively in that particular month. It is upto the farmer to be more wise and to know the times and demands...

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Ara_Tenkai said:

inkekkadi telangana... monna ghmc elections odipoyaka chetulu ettesadu kcr... evaraina emaina eppudaina pandinchochu...

Well the problem is it has to be done all over the country or it will fail like liquor prohibition . 

2 minutes ago, Ryzen_renoir said:

Well the problem is it has to be done all over the country or it will fail like liquor prohibition . 

Avuna ata actually gq implement avuthe , dora di manchi decision ata, 

1 hour ago, Ara_Tenkai said:

But corporates are not blind to exploit this loophole... They will provide a lesser quote for that vegetable that will be grown extensively in that particular month. It is upto the farmer to be more wise and to know the times and demands...

If they provide a lesser quote, atleast farmers know what they are going to get beforehand and plan accordingly 

3 minutes ago, AndhraneedSCS said:

If they provide a lesser quote, atleast farmers know what they are going to get beforehand and plan accordingly 

It doesn't work like that , you go and tell farmers who have been practicing the same cycle for 20 years that you should not plant particular crop , they won't listen and it will create huge negativity. 

For example chandrababu wanted to restrict tobacco crop citing excess production , it created such a negativity that praksam mla's begged him to reconsider or we will wiped out . They planted  anyway and proceeded to get low rate . 

It takes lot of support , research , planning , coordination to pull it off 

2 minutes ago, Ryzen_renoir said:

It doesn't work like that , you go and tell farmers who have been practicing the same cycle for 20 years that you should not plant particular crop , they won't listen and it will create huge negativity. 

For example chandrababu wanted to restrict tobacco crop citing excess production , it created such a negativity that praksam mla's begged him to reconsider or we will wiped out . They planted  anyway and proceeded to get low rate . 

It takes lot of support , research , planning , coordination to pull it off 

The way we tell makes a lot of difference.

Telling not to grow tobacco is one thing. 

Telling, "please grow Turmeric (for example) and we will guide you in each step of the way and provide incentives along with this amount per 100KG yield " is different.