Aa madanapalle incident why happened Antaru

chandrabhai7

8 hours ago, filterKaapi said:

Ok db'ers.. I have a family member with a severe mental disorder and I wanted to tell you what I think was going on in the madanapalle incident based on my experience with my own family member.

The parents probably have a severe mental disorder like schizophrenia/bipolar disorder (the mental hospital doctors also mentioned this a couple of times in the news). A symptom of these disorders is that patients can sometimes go into psychosis which is a state of disconnection from reality and is characterized by the presence of delusions (i.e., fixed beliefs in false things... mom thinks she is shiva and corona came from her), hallucinations (seeing things and hearing voices that normal people can't... dad was saying there was a third person and mom was saying kalika instructed to kill her daughter) and incoherent speech (watch the video with the police.. mom was saying some random stuff). The nature of the delusions/hallucinations can vary from person to person and also context to context. If the person is religious, their delusions can have a religious flavor (which was the case here). The same person at a different time can have delusions of a different flavor (e.g: they might start believing they can control the motion of the sun/moon etc.,).

The delusions and voices can be so powerful that they can make the sufferer do extreme things they wouldn't do if they weren't suffering from the illness (in this case they killed their daughters unfortunately).

There is sometimes a long (months.. weeks..) build up period to the psychosis called the prodromal period in which the patients become very reclusive, isolate themselves from the society (which was the case with the parents in the madanapalle incident) or sometimes a stressful situation can trigger a psychotic episode (the mom's mom passed away recently which could have acted a stressor). 

Based on all of this, I think this is a clear cut case of severe, untreated mental illness that led to the daughters' death and the parents' strange behavior. 

Here is what I think is going to happen next:

The police will start investigating based on the details the parents are giving and that will not lead them anywhere.. there is no black magic/no third or fourth person involved as the parents are saying since they are just delusions. It will soon be confirmed that untreated mental illness was the only reason. 

The parents won't get charged with murder because of the insanity laws.. the human rights groups will try to shield them. It will take a couple of weeks for the psychosis to clear and for the parents to realize what they have done.. I can't imagine what they will feel once the realization hits them. 

How can such incidents be prevented?

By raising awareness of mental health, improving to access health resources and reducing the stigma about mental illness. From what their students and the media is saying, these parents were highly educated, very helpful and productive members of society. If they had gotten help in time, their lives would have gone on smoothly. 

If you want to know more about psychosis: 

https://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/topics/schizophrenia/raise/what-is-psychosis.shtml

How to increase awareness in india? There are many people who refuse to get treated or accept that their kids are a little off. 

9 hours ago, filterKaapi said:

Ok db'ers.. I have a family member with a severe mental disorder and I wanted to tell you what I think was going on in the madanapalle incident based on my experience with my own family member.

Video Player is loading.
Play Video
Pause
Unmute

Current Time 0:00
/
Duration 0:19
Loaded: 0.00%

Stream Type LIVE
Seek to live, currently playing liveLIVE
Remaining Time -0:19

Playback Rate

1x
Chapters
  • Chapters
Descriptions
  • descriptions off, selected
Captions
  • captions settings, opens captions settings dialog
  • captions off, selected
Audio Track

Fullscreen

This is a modal window.

Beginning of dialog window. Escape will cancel and close the window.

TextColorWhiteBlackRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyOpaqueSemi-Transparent BackgroundColorBlackWhiteRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyOpaqueSemi-TransparentTransparent WindowColorBlackWhiteRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyTransparentSemi-TransparentOpaque
Font Size50%75%100%125%150%175%200%300%400% Text Edge StyleNoneRaisedDepressedUniformDropshadow Font FamilyProportional Sans-SerifMonospace Sans-SerifProportional SerifMonospace SerifCasualScriptSmall Caps
Reset restore all settings to the default valuesDone
Close Modal Dialog

End of dialog window.

Advertisement

The parents probably have a severe mental disorder like schizophrenia/bipolar disorder (the mental hospital doctors also mentioned this a couple of times in the news). A symptom of these disorders is that patients can sometimes go into psychosis which is a state of disconnection from reality and is characterized by the presence of delusions (i.e., fixed beliefs in false things... mom thinks she is shiva and corona came from her), hallucinations (seeing things and hearing voices that normal people can't... dad was saying there was a third person and mom was saying kalika instructed to kill her daughter) and incoherent speech (watch the video with the police.. mom was saying some random stuff). The nature of the delusions/hallucinations can vary from person to person and also context to context. If the person is religious, their delusions can have a religious flavor (which was the case here). The same person at a different time can have delusions of a different flavor (e.g: they might start believing they can control the motion of the sun/moon etc.,).

The delusions and voices can be so powerful that they can make the sufferer do extreme things they wouldn't do if they weren't suffering from the illness (in this case they killed their daughters unfortunately).

There is sometimes a long (months.. weeks..) build up period to the psychosis called the prodromal period in which the patients become very reclusive, isolate themselves from the society (which was the case with the parents in the madanapalle incident) or sometimes a stressful situation can trigger a psychotic episode (the mom's mom passed away recently which could have acted a stressor). 

Based on all of this, I think this is a clear cut case of severe, untreated mental illness that led to the daughters' death and the parents' strange behavior. 

Here is what I think is going to happen next:

The police will start investigating based on the details the parents are giving and that will not lead them anywhere.. there is no black magic/no third or fourth person involved as the parents are saying since they are just delusions. It will soon be confirmed that untreated mental illness was the only reason. 

The parents won't get charged with murder because of the insanity laws.. the human rights groups will try to shield them. It will take a couple of weeks for the psychosis to clear and for the parents to realize what they have done.. I can't imagine what they will feel once the realization hits them. 

How can such incidents be prevented?

By raising awareness of mental health, improving to access health resources and reducing the stigma about mental illness. From what their students and the media is saying, these parents were highly educated, very helpful and productive members of society. If they had gotten help in time, their lives would have gone on smoothly. 

If you want to know more about psychosis: 

https://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/topics/schizophrenia/raise/what-is-psychosis.shtml

if it was all mental disorder how do you explain the practices that they are claiming to do for weeks or days i guess. how can entire family be in that state. 

2 hours ago, maverick19 said:

if it was all mental disorder how do you explain the practices that they are claiming to do for weeks or days i guess. how can entire family be in that state. 

There is no proof that they were doing it for weeks on end.. patients can say a lot of delusional things when they are in psychosis.. 

Regarding entire family being in that state: it could be "shared psychotic disorder" (https://www.webmd.com/schizophrenia/guide/shared-psychotic-disorder). 

1 hour ago, filterKaapi said:

There is no proof that they were doing it for weeks on end.. patients can say a lot of delusional things when they are in psychosis.. 

Regarding entire family being in that state: it could be "shared psychotic disorder" (https://www.webmd.com/schizophrenia/guide/shared-psychotic-disorder). 

hmm. strange 

Mental instability runs in home and call.e whatever you want but there is something off in their faces : difficult to put in words but it's similar to autistic people - just by looking at them you know they are not normal .