Ellenu dune choosava?

Raven_Rayes

2 hours ago, vidhya said:

Watched it on HBO last night , didn't read the books, so it was a clean slate for me 😀! As a stand alone movie found it a bit underwhelming. Could draw parallels to British imperialism or imperialism in general, the whole spice trade/oil trade angle ( given Fremen - the desert people 🙄). And then the messianic religion undertones, with the Fremen's Lisan-Al-Gaib, savior/ prophet ,the movie tries to capture a huge canvas, but comes up a bit short, and one finds it a bit of a patchwork. Also it does sound like some sort of commentary on contemporary history itself, but I might be mistaken. Hans Zimmer's BG score rocks though. Overall it was an OK sort of movie, it's my unfiltered view here and without reading the books/series, so don't beat me up for this review😜!

The books are more of an examination of human condition, their societies etc. the first book is literally about how Paul manipulates the Fremen to become the dictator of the world.

It is somewhat dated in some areas, and relevant in others.

Even I have a problem with a lot of its politics, but the scale of story telling is insane, and the attention to details impressive. none of which seems possible to translate on to the screen.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Raven_Rayes said:

The books are more of an examination of human condition, their societies etc. the first book is literally about how Paul manipulates the Fremen to become the dictator of the world.

It is somewhat dated in some areas, and relevant in others.

Even I have a problem with a lot of its politics, but the scale of story telling is insane, and the attention to details impressive. none of which seems possible to translate on to the screen.

Yah konchem overwhelming ga unde… all over the place…

14 hours ago, dasari4kntr said:

is it intergalactic warfare...?

More like intra galactic warfare for a precious resource that is found in only one planet, those who control that planet effectively becomes the ruler of the galaxy 

I don't think any movie can catch the essence of the original novels because of the complexity involved in the dune world 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Raven_Rayes said:

Its underwhelming because the books are literally unfilmable. I don't think a better visual representation of the books can exist than this version of Dune... and this is not the first version, more like 10th I guess. Every single one before this was horrible. Even when the great David Lynch tried to bring it on to the screen, he made a disgusting Dune movie, focusing mostly only on its mythical elements, when the book series is about social ecology.

The books consist of long expositions about how humans are part of the ecosystem, and how life adapts and evolves. And there are dozens of subplots from the book, that weren't even touched in the movie, since it would make the movie about 80hrs long.

For example the Bene Gesserit, one of the most important orders in the book, is not explained at all in this movie, so the lack of context may make for uninspiring plot. Bene Gesserit have in fact been planning to seed this superhuman (prescient abilities, supercomputing abilities, manipulation of humans etc) called 'Kwisatz Hederach' through a breeding program in the top houses. But Lady Jessica out of her love for her husband Duke Leto, goes against her own order (she's in the Bene Gesserit) and delivers him a son as he wished. According to BG, Lady J should have given birth to a daughter, who'll be married off to the Harkonnen family, and the boy who is born to both will be the kwisatz hedarach, who'll provide a new path to humanity.

you are right though. Dune book series, is in fact a commentary on all of human history and its future. The ultimate aim of the book is to present through its main character - a reluctant Paul Atreides, and later his son Leto who completely embraces his role, as to importance of diversity of thought, diversity of culture, and to shake humans from following messaiahs. For this, he kills trillions of people and becomes the most hated tyrant in the known universe for 3000yrs, all in the quest to spark a revolution in humanity to kill him. To create a new humanity.

Paul also knows that he has to do this, but he backs away from doing this. His son doesn't.

All hail  god emperor letoimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcTB7OH8xbNEtpfMwUwJS_a

6 minutes ago, Ryzen_renoir said:

All hail  god emperor letoimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcTB7OH8xbNEtpfMwUwJS_a

I gave up at this point. lol

a lot of anime, including the recent 'attack on titan' seems to have borrowed the overall plot line from this book. so the plot seems dated.

it was always convoluted though.

1 minute ago, Ryzen_renoir said:

Really hard to make a single movie out of dune universe . Its like making Avengers infinity war/end game without any origin films . 

They should have atleast put out social media promotions that explain the dune universe 

WB basically trusted the hype and forgot to promote the film.

6 minutes ago, Raven_Rayes said:

WB basically trusted the hype and forgot to promote the film.

Looks like most people who are unaware of dune universe think it's little boring , not a good sign for the film 

7 hours ago, Raven_Rayes said:

Its underwhelming because the books are literally unfilmable. I don't think a better visual representation of the books can exist than this version of Dune... and this is not the first version, more like 10th I guess. Every single one before this was horrible. Even when the great David Lynch tried to bring it on to the screen, he made a disgusting Dune movie, focusing mostly only on its mythical elements, when the book series is about social ecology.

The books consist of long expositions about how humans are part of the ecosystem, and how life adapts and evolves. And there are dozens of subplots from the book, that weren't even touched in the movie, since it would make the movie about 80hrs long.

For example the Bene Gesserit, one of the most important orders in the book, is not explained at all in this movie, so the lack of context may make for uninspiring plot. Bene Gesserit have in fact been planning to seed this superhuman (prescient abilities, supercomputing abilities, manipulation of humans etc) called 'Kwisatz Hederach' through a breeding program in the top houses. But Lady Jessica out of her love for her husband Duke Leto, goes against her own order (she's in the Bene Gesserit) and delivers him a son as he wished. According to BG, Lady J should have given birth to a daughter, who'll be married off to the Harkonnen family, and the boy who is born to both will be the kwisatz hedarach, who'll provide a new path to humanity.

you are right though. Dune book series, is in fact a commentary on all of human history and its future. The ultimate aim of the book is to present through its main character - a reluctant Paul Atreides, and later his son Leto who completely embraces his role, as to importance of diversity of thought, diversity of culture, and to shake humans from following messaiahs. For this, he kills trillions of people and becomes the most hated tyrant in the known universe for 3000yrs, all in the quest to spark a revolution in humanity to kill him. To create a new humanity.

Paul also knows that he has to do this, but he backs away from doing this. His son doesn't.

Wow! That's some great insight, now I want to read the books, And I agree it's always difficult to translate the complexity of books onto silver screen. I might end up rewatching the movie now after these inputs here, and maybe try to finish the series before part 2, how about that for some stretch goals 😀.

On a lighter note, I hated that Jason Momoa got killed :( 

5 hours ago, Ryzen_renoir said:

Really hard to make a single movie out of dune universe . Its like making Avengers infinity war/end game without any origin films . 

They should have atleast put out social media promotions that explain the dune universe 

Agree, they went a little short on the promotions part, I guess. But then I am not much into following social media especially for movies. But this AFDB gave me enough insights to rewatch it, thank you guys :) 

4 hours ago, vidhya said:

Wow! That's some great insight, now I want to read the books, And I agree it's always difficult to translate the complexity of books onto silver screen. I might end up rewatching the movie now after these inputs here, and maybe try to finish the series before part 2, how about that for some stretch goals 😀.

On a lighter note, I hated that Jason Momoa got killed :( 

I don't think there'll be a part 2, even though the studio heads are indicating there would be.

Yeah Jason Mamoa was superhot. He does get revived over and over and over through the series with cloning tech, but he won't reappear until the second book. So even if Part 2 gets made, he won't be there :(

I can give book titles that have even better worlds, but nothing comes close to the attention that is paid in creating those worlds in Dune. The series becomes unreadable for its meandering narrative by the 3rd book itself. but some people like the 3rd and 4th the best. because that's where the crux of the theme of this book series lies. I stopped reading after the 3rd, and reading just summaries of the rest.

a contemporary cyberpunkish (may be not) dystopian world is created in Terra Ignota series. A perfect liberal dystopia, a world where you can choose which govt you want to live under, inspite of where you live geographically. And switch govts at whim. And an anarchist trying to destroy this world (atleast in the first book). Another unfilmable book without enough exposition to cover the basic themes of the book. It will come across as just a basic serial murder mystery. But the beauty of the book lies in the unique world all these happen.

Dune, at this point, will always be fanfiction. It assumes that you've already read the novel, or atleast know the important bits that don't need much reiterating.