ibonds

Zindagi247

Series I Savings Bonds

NEWS: The initial interest rate on new Series I savings bonds is 9.62 percent. You can buy I bonds at that rate through October 2022. Learn more.

KEY FACTS: I Bonds can be purchased through October 2022 at the current rate.  That rate is applied to the 6 months after the purchase is made.  For example, if you buy an I bond on July 1, 2022, the 9.62% would be applied through January 1, 2023.  Interest is compounded semi-annually.

REMEMBER!  You can only purchase up to $10,000 in I bonds each calendar year.  If you buy I Bonds exceeding that limit, we will process a refund, which may take up to 16 weeks.

Use I bonds to:

What is an I bond?

A savings bond that earns interest based on combining a fixed rate and an inflation rate.

Comparing I Bonds to EE Bonds

Comparing I Bonds to Treasury Inflation-Protected Securities (TIPS)

What interest does an I bond earn?

A combination of a fixed rate that stays the same for the life of the bond and an inflation rate that is set twice a year. For bonds issued from May 2022 through October 2022, the combined rate is 9.62%. How do I bonds earn interest?

Is it taxable?

Federal income tax: Yes

State and local income tax: No

Tax Considerations for I bonds

Using the money for higher education may keep you from paying federal income tax on your interest. See "Education Planning."

Paper or electronic?

Both.  (You can buy a paper I bond only when filing a federal income tax return.)

Minimum purchase

Electronic: $25

Paper: $50

Maximum purchase

Electronic:  $10,000, total, each calendar year

Paper:  $5,000, total, each calendar year
Available bonds

Electronic:  Any amount, to the penny, from $25 to $10,000.

Paper: $50, $100, $200, $500, $1,000

How long must I keep an I bond?

I bonds earn interest for 30 years unless you cash them first. You can cash them after one year. But if you cash them before five years, you lose the previous three months of interest. (For example, if you cash an I bond after 18 months, you get the first 15 months of interest.)

How do I buy an I bond?

Electronic: Online in TreasuryDirect (including through payroll direct deposit)

Paper:  By mail when you file your federal tax return

NOTE: Tax questions? We have answers!

How do I bonds earn interest?

Interest on an I bond is a combination of two rates:

1. A fixed rate of return which remains the same throughout the life of the I bond

and
  2. A variable inflation rate which we calculate twice a year, based on changes in the nonseasonally adjusted Consumer Price Index for all Urban Consumers (CPI-U) for all items, including food and energy (CPI-U for March compared with the CPI-U for September of the same year, and then CPI-U for September compared with the CPI-U for March of the following year).

Interest is earned on the bond every month. The interest is compounded semiannually:  twice a year, the interest the bond earned in the previous six months is added to the bond's principal value; then, interest for the next six months is calculated using this adjusted principal.

The interest and principal are paid to you when you cash the bond.

https://www.treasurydirect.gov/indiv/research/indepth/ibonds/res_ibonds.htm

3 hours ago, Zindagi247 said:

Series I Savings Bonds

NEWS: The initial interest rate on new Series I savings bonds is 9.62 percent. You can buy I bonds at that rate through October 2022. Learn more.

KEY FACTS: I Bonds can be purchased through October 2022 at the current rate.  That rate is applied to the 6 months after the purchase is made.  For example, if you buy an I bond on July 1, 2022, the 9.62% would be applied through January 1, 2023.  Interest is compounded semi-annually.

REMEMBER!  You can only purchase up to $10,000 in I bonds each calendar year.  If you buy I Bonds exceeding that limit, we will process a refund, which may take up to 16 weeks.

Use I bonds to:

What is an I bond?

A savings bond that earns interest based on combining a fixed rate and an inflation rate.

Comparing I Bonds to EE Bonds

Comparing I Bonds to Treasury Inflation-Protected Securities (TIPS)

What interest does an I bond earn?

A combination of a fixed rate that stays the same for the life of the bond and an inflation rate that is set twice a year. For bonds issued from May 2022 through October 2022, the combined rate is 9.62%. How do I bonds earn interest?

Is it taxable?

Federal income tax: Yes

State and local income tax: No

Tax Considerations for I bonds

Using the money for higher education may keep you from paying federal income tax on your interest. See "Education Planning."

Paper or electronic?

Both.  (You can buy a paper I bond only when filing a federal income tax return.)

Minimum purchase

Electronic: $25

Paper: $50

Maximum purchase

Electronic:  $10,000, total, each calendar year

Paper:  $5,000, total, each calendar year
Available bonds

Electronic:  Any amount, to the penny, from $25 to $10,000.

Paper: $50, $100, $200, $500, $1,000

How long must I keep an I bond?

I bonds earn interest for 30 years unless you cash them first. You can cash them after one year. But if you cash them before five years, you lose the previous three months of interest. (For example, if you cash an I bond after 18 months, you get the first 15 months of interest.)

How do I buy an I bond?

Electronic: Online in TreasuryDirect (including through payroll direct deposit)

Paper:  By mail when you file your federal tax return

NOTE: Tax questions? We have answers!

How do I bonds earn interest?

Interest on an I bond is a combination of two rates:

1. A fixed rate of return which remains the same throughout the life of the I bond

and
  2. A variable inflation rate which we calculate twice a year, based on changes in the nonseasonally adjusted Consumer Price Index for all Urban Consumers (CPI-U) for all items, including food and energy (CPI-U for March compared with the CPI-U for September of the same year, and then CPI-U for September compared with the CPI-U for March of the following year).

Interest is earned on the bond every month. The interest is compounded semiannually:  twice a year, the interest the bond earned in the previous six months is added to the bond's principal value; then, interest for the next six months is calculated using this adjusted principal.

The interest and principal are paid to you when you cash the bond.

https://www.treasurydirect.gov/indiv/research/indepth/ibonds/res_ibonds.htm

Manaki edhaina financial avasaram vachinappudu draw cheyocha? Any fines?

27 minutes ago, CuteDesiGal said:

Manaki edhaina financial avasaram vachinappudu draw cheyocha? Any fines?

I think usually 5 yr terms vuntaayi anukunta ekkado chadhiva...lets say u invested today and tried to withdraw next it yr exactly this date then u'll end up loosing the interest u earned for the last 6 months.

8 hours ago, Beetbob123 said:

I am foor in maths 

how much I get after 5 years if I invest 10k

foor in maths kadhu bhayya...foor in maks anali..Brahmi King GIF - Brahmi King Brahmanandam GIFs

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, Zindagi247 said:

anyone invested? 9.62 interest rate

Doing it from last 2 years even when the interest rate was not that attractive .all my emergency fund is in ibonds ..

• 4 months later...
On 5/13/2022 at 10:36 PM, Pandubabu said:

Doing it from last 2 years even when the interest rate was not that attractive .all my emergency fund is in ibonds ..

Do they compound every 6 months ?

On 5/13/2022 at 11:36 PM, Pandubabu said:

Treasury direct lo ne konaalaa? Inka emaina option undaa? Is the purchase amount tax deductible? TIA.

2 minutes ago, Hitman said:

Treasury direct lo ne konaalaa? Inka emaina option undaa? Is the purchase amount tax deductible? TIA.

only in treasury direct..it is not tax deductive but whatever the gains are tax free.

7 minutes ago, anandam2012 said:

only in treasury direct..it is not tax deductive but whatever the gains are tax free.

Link pampu bhayya konataniki?

em details adugutharu? 

$10,000 max aa invest cheyyataniki? Or interest tho kalipi $10k datodda?

12 minutes ago, anandam2012 said:

No, the interest is taxed at federal level at time of withdrawal