Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup

saiiii

chicnoodles3.jpg

Here's a quick and easy chicken noodle soup recipe, and it's hearty enough for a family meal. Serve this soup for lunch or dinner, along with crusty rolls or biscuits and a tossed salad. Feel free to use broken linguini or thin noodles instead of medium noodles.

Prep Time: 15 minutes

Cook Time: 40 minutes

Ingredients:

* 2 tablespoons butter

* 1 cup chopped onion

* 1 cup chopped celery

* 1/4 cup fresh chopped parsley or about 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes

* 2 to 3 cups diced chicken

* 1 can (10 3/4 ounces) cream of chicken soup, undiluted

* 1 can (10 3/4 ounces) cream of mushroom soup, undiluted

* 5 cups chicken broth

* 1 scant teaspoon poultry seasoning

* 1/4 teaspoon dried leaf thyme

* 1/4 teaspoon pepper

* 2 cups frozen peas and carrots

* 1 1/2 cups heavy cream or half-and-half

* 4 ounces medium noodles, cooked and drained

* Salt, to taste

Preparation:

In a large pot or Dutch oven, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion and celery and sauté until onion is tender. Add the parsley, chicken, chicken broth, soups, poultry seasoning, thyme, and pepper. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 20 minutes. Add the frozen peas and carrots, cover, and simmer for 10 minutes longer. Stir in the cream or half-and-half, along with the cooked noodles; add salt to taste. Heat through.

Serves 8.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I made this for dinner one evening ... it was one of those things I didnt have a recipe for so I had to kind of wing it.  Years ago and yes I may be aging myself here when TV dinners by "Banquet" and "Swanson" were put out in metal 3 compartment trays ... you remember the kind ... the ones you had to bake for 50 minutes.  Well one of the brands had a "chicken&noodles" dinner, it was my favorite.  I had a craving for it one night... and of course its not a TV Dinner entree anymore so I made my own recipe ... my family loved it and Im writing it in my recipe book for future "cooking".

Creamy Chicken and Noodles

1 Bag No Yolk Egg Noodles
4 Large Boneless and skinless chicken breasts
1 bag of Carrots, peeled and cut into "coins"
1 Large Yellow Onion quartered and then slice each quarter again
1/2 bag of frozen peas
1 can of Cream of Chicken Soup you could probably use Cream of Mushroom
1-1/2 cups of shredded Cheddar Cheese
1 cup of milk ... and more as you make the sauce if needed
1/4 stick butter ... not margarine
1/2 cup of Light Sour Cream
Salt and Pepper to taste
Balsalmic Vinegar to taste
Garlic Powder and Onion Powder
Chicken Bouillion Cubes --- I used 4 in the broth to parboil chicken

Parboil your chicken breasts with Chicken Boullion cubes, garlic, onion, carrots, salt, pepper and a bit of Balsalmic Vinegar until done.  Remove from water ... quickly parboil your frozen peas and remove ... mix in with your cooked carrots.  Cut up chicken into bite sized pieces.  Set aside.  In a medium sized non stick saucepan empty can of Cream of Chicken Soup, sour cream, cheddar cheese, butter milk and salt and pepper to taste.  As the ingredients slowly melt together and become hot, taste it to see if you have to add any other spices ... also this is the time if you feel that the sauce is to thick you can add more milk ... but you do want it to be creamy and not "soupy".  Cook your noodles as you are making your sauce so that they will done and hot as the sauce finishes.  Drain noodles, add chicken and vegetables and then pour hot "sauce" over the mixture .  Stir without breaking up the noodles and serve. 
It was YUMMY ... better than those old TV dinners were.
Tania

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...