Moving from Toronto, Canada to Los Angeles!

Rate this topic

efiona

Hello,

We will be moving to Los Angeles from Toronto in summers. My wife's work gave us the opportunity and we decided to give it a shot. We have 2 kids (10yr and 6yrs old).

Currently, work location is not that important as it will be WFH. Once things open up, we can choose the office location either between Santa Monica or in Orange County (close to Irvine). We both work in IT.

Our single most priority is very good schools, safe neighborhood with young families.

Santa Monica and the surrounding areas are too expensive to start with.

We are looking to rent for around $3500 but can go to $5000 if required.

I was looking a little east at Burbank, Glendale, South Pasadena and La Canada.
Was leaning more towards La Canada, seems the schools are pretty good there.

As for Irvine, its a good area and the schools are good but with very less diversity. Please correct me if thats not the case.

Here are few of my thoughts, any help to better understand the area and decide will be greatly appreciated.

Also, if anyone can suggest any good school rating site? Although its relative, but its a start to look for schools. I've also started reading about charter schools, although I'm not sure whats the general perceptions are about them?

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Irvine location will be a good choice. Santa Monica too expensive.

Irvine, Aliso Viejo, Lake Forest are good. Most of the schools are good in these areas. You can look into Cerritos area (ABC school Dist). Or Fullerton/Brea/Yorba Linda area. All schools are good in these locations. If you're looking to buy a home under a million, your best option would be to buy something in Eastvale, Ontario Ranch (a lof of desis) area as they are about 45 mins to 1 hour drive to Irvine area.