Master clinician

gothamprince

1 hour ago, newtoselenium said:

@gothamprince  my close family recently diagnosed with grade 3 fazeka (white matter disease) in the brain....age is above 60. what can we do to prevent the progression and i have heard gradually it will lead to dementia and all...enti vella life expectancy..

White matter disease is an umbrella term which includes group of diseases affecting white matter tracts in the brain believed to be caused by chronic reduced blood supply in the small blood vessels in the brain

The most common cause is hypertension, diabetes, chronic alcohol use Or previous history of strokes

They usually progress slowly the damage cannot be reversed 

The long term complications are stroke, memory impairment and balance issues , urinary incontinence

We can slow the progression by controlling hypertension, diabetes and avoid smoking, alcohol 

Life expectancy is not severly affected but more susceptible to heart diseases as the risk factors are same for both

3 minutes ago, gothamprince said:

White matter disease is an umbrella term which includes group of diseases affecting white matter tracts in the brain believed to be caused by chronic reduced blood supply in the small blood vessels in the brain

The most common cause is hypertension, diabetes, chronic alcohol use Or previous history of strokes

They usually progress slowly the damage cannot be reversed 

The long term complications are stroke, memory impairment and balance issues , urinary incontinence

We can slow the progression by controlling hypertension, diabetes and avoid smoking, alcohol 

Life expectancy is not severly affected but more susceptible to heart diseases as the risk factors are same for both

thanks bi

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, gothamprince said:

What exactly is the frequency of passing his stools? ---After using Miralax, after every meals he going stools

Did it get worse or any improvement with age? --without miralax, he is not going for stool

What is general food intake does he have enough fiber content in his diet? --Yes, we are taking care of Fiber from last 3 yrs. using Whole bread adn other Whole itmes only

His average fluid intake daily? -- he is frquent water taker 

Does he complain of stomachache ? -No

Does he have abdominal swelling? -No 

What is the consistency of the stools is it hard or black in color?  - Yellow only ,When using miralax. 

Does he have any blood in the stools? -No

Also I don't think miralax is long term solution it's generally used for occasional constipation--Yes adn am looking for perment solution . I have tried with Doctor visits in US.

8 minutes ago, gothamprince said:

Before using miralax how frequent are his stools like how many times a week? 

until 2 months of Age - no issues  (Going daily)

3 rd month- 1 yr 2 months of age in india - no issues  (Going Alternate day)

After coming to US,  After 4months (till that time going weekly once ot twice) only we have identified it was serious problem and went to doctors (Pedis, Gatro and Gasto psycholog)..till all are recommended to use Miralax along with fiber in take 

literally we have tired with this ..and from here we are not sure how to take this farward

18 minutes ago, jaathiratnalu said:

until 2 months of Age - no issues  (Going daily)

3 rd month- 1 yr 2 months of age in india - no issues  (Going Alternate day)

After coming to US,  After 4months (till that time going weekly once ot twice) only we have identified it was serious problem and went to doctors (Pedis, Gatro and Gasto psycholog)..till all are recommended to use Miralax along with fiber in take 

literally we have tired with this ..and from here we are not sure how to take this farward

Ba i am sure it is due to myenteric plexus being affected which is basically the nervous system of the intestine which causes the bowel movement it may be due to defective formation of it like in hirschsprung disease but usually present as constipation after birth but milder forms can present slightly later

The other conditions like chagas disease which is parasitic infection which destroys the gut nervous system 

Are there signs of fever before the constipation symptoms initially started or swelling on legs did you notice? 

The only way to confirm is by intestinal biopsy by which we can know the cause and proceed in that direction

6 minutes ago, gothamprince said:

Ba i am sure it is due to myenteric plexus being affected which is basically the nervous system of the intestine which causes the bowel movement it may be due to defective formation of it like in hirschsprung disease but usually present as constipation after birth but milder forms can present slightly later

The other conditions like chagas disease which is parasitic infection which destroys the gut nervous system 

Are there signs of fever before the constipation symptoms initially started or swelling on legs did you notice? 

The only way to confirm is by intestinal biopsy by which we can know the cause and proceed in that direction

Are there signs of fever before the constipation symptoms initially started or swelling on legs did you notice? ---NO fever  or no swelling bro ..

intestinal biops ...Seems gastro also intially recommended but after doing intial screening from Blood works its nothing suspects and for this age ..it is not recommended to test this as suggested by Gastro 

Ba i am sure it is due to myenteric plexus being affected which is basically the nervous system of the intestine which causes the bowel movement it may be due to defective formation of it like in hirschsprung disease but usually present as constipation after birth but milder forms can present slightly later------By seeing your words..its seems like little bit scary for us..

3 minutes ago, jaathiratnalu said:

Are there signs of fever before the constipation symptoms initially started or swelling on legs did you notice? ---NO fever  or no swelling bro ..

intestinal biops ...Seems gastro also intially recommended but after doing intial screening from Blood works its nothing suspects and for this age ..it is not recommended to test this as suggested by Gastro 

Ba i am sure it is due to myenteric plexus being affected which is basically the nervous system of the intestine which causes the bowel movement it may be due to defective formation of it like in hirschsprung disease but usually present as constipation after birth but milder forms can present slightly later------By seeing your words..its seems like little bit scary for us..

Blood test can identify the infection but this constipation is not immediate complication of infection so blood tests may be negative and hirschsprung disease cannot be identified by blood test only by biopsy

I may not be correct but I will refer about this and get back to you

21 minutes ago, jaathiratnalu said:

Sure bro.. will wait for further update

• Upvote 1

On 8/1/2022 at 9:13 PM, appetizer said:

All physical milestones on time. no infections during delivery. 

speech and social issues.

all others are good, eye contact, name response, physical all good.

is he able to repeat what you said ?