Ponniyin Selvan is like Game of Thrones anta

tennisluvrredux

the scenes are cut like a theatre play than a feature film and only works in parts where things settle down people are actually talking. which seems to happen very rarely in this movie.

reminds me of the botched up book adaptation of Jurassic Park, where they potrayed Ian Malcolm as a quirky math tool with snappy one-liners, than someone with a very articulate critique of the industrial civilization. They reduced the book's hero into a non-character basically.

but atleast Jurassic Park had wow moments with some dinosaurs. There was no such wow moment Maniratnam could conjure in this movie. Not even in the final shot.

Vikram was disappointing. but the blame falls on maniratnam for that.

all that steadicam shots while he's narrating his backstory was unnecessary and distracting.

Jayam Ravi surprisingly sold his role as ps.

5 hours ago, Raven_Rayes said:

I saw the movie. I liked more than i thought I would. But i wouldn't call it a good movie.

I think its hard for people to understand what's going on, if they are not clued in.

no goosebumps or high, which is good.

Its more like Asoka (2001) than any other movie, but with scenes moving at jet speed that its impossible for non-readers to catch all the action. So in that way, its poorly written.

some of the cuts into scenes are so rough, that it was jarring. like in the song when Karthi tries to enter kadambur palace.

overall badly made film, which was still enjoyable, atleast for me. Because I really thought it would be worse than this. haha..

For someone like me with no idea of the book, or any of the characters choodochantava

5 hours ago, Raven_Rayes said:

all that steadicam shots while he's narrating his backstory was unnecessary and distracting.

I thought he will turn into a maniac and start hitting his chelle 😂

8 hours ago, Raven_Rayes said:

I didnt watch the movie yet…may be this weekend or wait for OTT…

but this tweet gave me full plot line…

8 hours ago, friesNfrappe said:

I thought he will turn into a maniac and start hitting his chelle 😂

I would never watch a movie on cinemas, but a friend dragged me to it, even offering to walk to the theatre. hehe..

It just doesn't work as a movie. a lot of things happen for no reason, and unless you read the book, I wonder how you can make sense of what is happening on the screen.

its funny how the audience I was sitting with was mostly meh through the whole movie. but surprisingly, it seems not a single tamil reviewer yet has blasted the film. I think this movie definitely deserves a lot of criticism. tamils are deluding themselves that this is a great film.

like the Sharath Kumar character's fatal attraction to Nandhini is made even worse by Aish still putting off from having s3x with him. How does mani show that visually?? With just one scene where sarath is slowly removing her jewels in the hope that she'll finally sleep with him. I don't know what the viewer is supposed to understand from that scene.

mani cut off huge portions of the book, and the ones he kept he stayed true to the original. Still he couldn't create an coherent tale that carried the interplay between characters to recreate the drama that made the book popular. There was only one such scene where Trisha addresses the chieftains plotting to mount an internal rebellion, teasing them with a chance to have their daughters marry the crown prince.

and mani glosses over this scene and promptly moves on to the next boring one. There are several such dramatic moments in the book, some of which mani has captured without much thought to the overall structure of the movie.

imo him trying to stay true to the book is the biggest fatal flaw in the movie. He should have done something like Jurassic Park, which left huge portions of the book (even flipped the protagonists) and still made a very trimmed, but a watchable version of the book, that captured what the book was about for the most part.

i read the book a few years after I watched the movie as a little kid. I've reread it dozens of times atleast. The greatest anarchist novel ever written according to me (after The Dispossessed), but none of it translated on to the screen, apart from the visuals. Still as a kid I was fascinated by the movie, even though in hindsight I feel less in awe of it.

that's the patch mani should've taken. took a risk and pissed off the book lovers. may be its hard to do it for a drama. but there in lies the talent of the filmmaker. mani clearly doesn't have that talent.

9 hours ago, friesNfrappe said:

Good one but slow pace

the pace is super fast actually. it seems slow because most of it moves past you at zip speed, while you are still digesting what happened a few moments earlier. and after a while you give up trying to keep up.

I'm assuming this, because I can relate to everything on the screen, and enjoyed the movie, but have no idea how a non book lover would grasp everything happening.

for eg. how characters seem to pop up out of nowhere.. like that boat guy with Pandyas - Karuthiruman. and his connect with the king Vijaya of SL. This part of the movie was made up and doesn't exist in the book, though.

6 hours ago, dasari4kntr said:

I didnt watch the movie yet…may be this weekend or wait for OTT…

but this tweet gave me full plot line…

Jayam Ravi is solid as the title character. Just as I predicted when the cast was announced, he was perfectly cast as the crowd fav prince. Everyone underestimated him. but they haven't seen his movies I guess. especially Peranmai.

The movie has great locations, real forts where scenes were shot, set design is amazing, costumes too. almost no cgi. vfx in some parts were below par, but passable.

Its just that the drama around this all isn't engaging. feels like mani made this movie to make a lot of money. and he will.

• Upvote 1