$920 Million Russian 'hunk' Handed Over To Indian Navy

Deletedid1

[size=4][img]http://im.rediff.com/news/2011/dec/16nerpa1.jpg[/img][/size]

[left][size=4][font=Arial]Russia has handed over the much-awaited nuclear-powered attack submarine [i]Nerpa[/i] to India on a 10-year lease, boosting the Indian Navy's fire-power.[/font][/size][/left]

[size=4][/left][/size][left][size=4][color=#000000][font=arial, verdana, sans-serif, FreeSans][font=Arial]The Akula-II class [i]Nerpa[/i] nuclear submarine had recently finished sea trials.[/font][/font][/color][/size][/left]

[size=4][/left][/size][left][size=4][color=#000000][font=arial, verdana, sans-serif, FreeSans][font=Arial]"The signing ceremony happened on Thursday at the Bolshoi Kamen ship building facility in the (Far East) Primorye region where the [i]Nerpa[/i] is now based," [i]ITAR-TASS[/i] news agency quoted a senior Russian Navy official as saying.[/font][/font][/color][/size][/left]

[size=4][/left][/size][left][size=4][color=#000000][font=arial, verdana, sans-serif, FreeSans][font=Arial]The deal for the submarine, which is being transferred on a 10-year lease, is worth $920 million.[/font][/font][/color][/size][/left]

[size=4][/left][/size][left][size=4][color=#000000][font=arial, verdana, sans-serif, FreeSans][img]http://im.rediff.com/news/2011/dec/16nerpa2.jpg[/img][/font][/color][/size][/left]

[size=4][/left][/size]

[size=4][font=Arial]The report said an Indian crew would sail the Akula II class craft to its home base at the end of January.[/font][/size]
[size=4][font=Arial]"All of the naval tests and performance checks have been completed," the Russian Navy official said.[/font][/size]
[size=4][font=Arial]The submarine, capable of remaining underwater for months, will be rechristened as [i]INS Chakra[/i]. This is the first time in more than two decades that the Indian Navy would have a nuclear attack submarine.[/font][/size]
[size=4][font=Arial]When Russia makes the delivery, it will make India the sixth operator of nuclear submarines in the world.[/font][/size]
[size=4][img]http://im.rediff.com/news/2011/dec/16nerpa3.jpg[/img][/size]

[size=4][font=Arial]The submarine deal had figured during Prime Minister Manmohan Singh's visit to Russia earlier in December.[/font][/size]
[size=4][font=Arial]The [i]Nerpa[/i], an Akula II-class attack submarine, had originally been scheduled for delivery in 2008 but an accident during sea trials on November 8 that year had forced the Russian authorities to put it on hold.[/font][/size]
[size=4][font=Arial]Twenty people, mostly civilians, had been killed when a fire-suppressant gas was released on the Nerpa during shakedown trials, in one of Russia's worst naval accidents.[/font][/size]
[size=4][font=Arial]The Akula-II class submarines are equipped with 28 nuclear-capable cruise missiles with a striking range of 3,000 km. The Indian version is reportedly expected to be armed with the 300-km Club nuclear-capable missiles.[/font][/size]
[size=4][font=Arial]India had funded the completion of the [i]Nerpa[/i] nuclear submarine at Amur Shipyard before the collapse of the Soviet Union in 1991.[/font][/size]

[quote name='ROBO' timestamp='1325387046' post='1301225586']
GP

960 millon pedte manam develop chesukolema ba
[/quote]

iidi only lease baa 10 yrs ki..... dani actual cost 960million $

manam already chestunnam gaa

[quote name='Gona Ganna Reddy' timestamp='1325387163' post='1301225591']

iidi only lease baa 10 yrs ki..... dani actual cost 960million $

manam already chestunnam gaa
[/quote]

avna &.,?

[quote name='ROBO' timestamp='1325388782' post='1301225663']

avna &.,?
[/quote]

INS arihant.. already sea trial modalayyi 2 yrs ayyindi... inko 6-7 months lo operational avutundi anukuntaa