farmer suicide

stockdazzler

2 lakhs debt kattaleka . Very sad. 

farmer deaths due to suicide had gone up by 321 per cent last year, according to the National Crime Records Bureau.

http://everylifecounts.ndtv.com/from-books-to-bricks-how-14-year-olds-life-changed-after-fathers-suicide-10961?pfrom=home-lateststories

Guntur, Andhra Pradesh: Fourteen-year-old Shivaprasad has a heavy burden on his shoulder. The hands that were carrying a school bag a few days ago are now labouring hard at a construction site to keep his family away from hunger.

The responsibilities came on his shoulder after his father, Rama Rao, a chilli and cotton farmer from Andhra Pradesh’s Guntur district, committed suicide 10 days ago. Consecutive years of drought in the state had pushed him to over Rs 2 lakh in debts. Unable to face his debtors or see his children go hungry, he drank pesticide.

Andhra Pradesh is reeling under the third consecutive year of drought. With an agricultural crisis gripping the state, the chilli and cotton farmers have been affected the most. The farmer deaths due to suicide had gone up by 321 per cent last year, according to the National Crime Records Bureau.

1024-22.jpg Rama Rao is survived by three teenage children and a wife.

Shivaprasad was just short of giving his final exams for Class 7 when the tragedy struck home. As per tradition, his mother and elder brother, who performed the last rites of his father, cannot step out for work within days of his death. As his sister too is busy with helping out with rituals that would go on for 14 days, only he could work and bring some money home.

His sister Thirupatamma, 18, and brother Anjaneyulu, 16, had dropped out of school after last year’s drought to help supplement the family income and started working as labourers.

Thirupatamma says, “We don’t have a single rupee in the house. We can eat something only if we work.”

With Rs 150 a day that he earns at the construction site, Shivaprasad’s  barely able to provide for the food and other basic needs of his family.

10246.jpg The family not just lost a member of the house, they were also forced to leave their rented house.

Owing to the family’s poor financial condition, his father’s last rites were also paid for by his uncles.

Shivaprasad’s mother Lakshmi says, “I don’t know what to do, even my youngest son has to go to work. I can’t run home, so need to send him to work till we repay our loans.”

”In a month or two, there won’t be work available in farms. We desperately need NREGA work for me and my children to survive,” she adds.

Hopeful about re-joining his school, Shivaprasad says, “My mother said after we repay our loans, I can go back to the school.”

I need to initiate a research from a NGO that I support on helping up with a solution for drought eviction. Its a serious issue and if Govt doesn't address for the next few months after initial following of process set by govt/ meet the collector, I will initiate NGO to request for donations. every penny donated will be spent  and it is visible via our site. There has been many discussions, but we have current 9 missions which itself are not getting completed due to darn political ignorance and no help from govt.

Hope the DB will help and support us with a dollar per person.

Here is the basic idea I can give is that we infuse water into the ground until it reaches minimum required level.

Papam cotton farmers man! they have been dying.

tumblr_oc6rrhHO0T1sh4sifo7_400.gif

Emotion unte saripodhu solution kavali ikkada .. entha mandhiki ani donate chestharu.. so clear ur mind from thought of donate chesedhi adho vellaki cheyyandhi 

8 minutes ago, citizenofIND said:

Emotion unte saripodhu solution kavali ikkada .. entha mandhiki ani donate chestharu.. so clear ur mind from thought of donate chesedhi adho vellaki cheyyandhi 

no emotional thought on donation baa.. working with few scientific minds to look into a solution.  Esp Andhra and Maharastra are very badly hit with consecutive droughts for the 4th year,.

tumblr_oc6rrhHO0T1sh4sifo7_400.gif