OPT to H4 Transfer

John_Snow

Can we transfer visa from OPT to H4 without leaving US, Does stamping required?

Please provide me the process details/any instructions.

Can someone please tell me. Thanks

You can but to get H4 approved it can take up to one year. Meanwhile if the I-94 expires you will be in soup. Everyone suggests just go out of country and come on h4 visa. This is very easy and faster process. Visa will also get approved without any issue.

2 minutes ago, CuteDesiGal said:

Memu h1 renewal time lo premium lo vesam so opt to h4 nd h4 ead easy ga ayyindi. 3 weeks lo all done

This is exception and it's not always possible to be on closer date for H1-B extension/renewals. If applying H4 + EAD those cases get approved relatively much faster (3 months). But filing just H4 can take 9-12 months depends on luck. You can check the case processing timelines from each center. 

5 minutes ago, tacobell fan said:

This is exception and it's not always possible to be on closer date for H1-B extension/renewals. If applying H4 + EAD those cases get approved relatively much faster (3 months). But filing just H4 can take 9-12 months depends on luck. You can check the case processing timelines from each center. 

Thank you

• 6 months later...
On 4/22/2019 at 8:39 AM, tacobell fan said:

You can but to get H4 approved it can take up to one year. Meanwhile if the I-94 expires you will be in soup. Everyone suggests just go out of country and come on h4 visa. This is very easy and faster process. Visa will also get approved without any issue.

As you said if the I-94 expires, do we get any grace period after opt ext end date, like 240 days stay as the H4 transfer is still in processing stage?? In my case I am on H1b and spouse -Opt ext end date july2020.

could you suggest me when to apply  etc

On 4/22/2019 at 5:36 AM, John_Snow said:

Can we transfer visa from OPT to H4 without leaving US, Does stamping required?

Please provide me the process details/any instructions.

Can someone please tell me. Thanks

We are in the same boat. I applied OPT to H4 for my wife in July. still I'm waiting for decision. I don't know how much time to process the applications. I contacted my employer for H4 process. he initiated the process to attorney. I don't think we can do ourselves as h1b visa. Your employer should do that. Ping me if you need more info. 

My suggestion is go out of country and get the visa.