One out of every 20 people reported to have died of the coronavirus lived in the United States

Spartan

The 20th person in the United States to have died of covid-19, the disease caused by the novel coronavirus that has become a global pandemic, died on March 8, according to data from Johns Hopkins University.

The 40th person to die of covid-19 died four days later, on March 12. The 60th died three days after that. The 80th died the day after that. The 100th died the day after that, on March 17.

The 200th died on March 19. The 400th died on March 22 — on Sunday. The 500th died on March 23. The 600th died the next day, Tuesday. So did the 700th. The 800th and 900th died Wednesday. The 1,000th died Thursday.

As of writing, the total number of deaths from the coronavirus in the United States is nearing 1,100 — about 5 percent of all cases in the world. As the data suggest, the number is expected to continue to climb.

The increased death toll in the United States occurred in parallel with (and obviously contributed to) a surge in the number of coronavirus deaths globally over the past several weeks.

Image without a caption

That surge is mostly a function of the rapid increase in the death tolls in Italy and Spain. Italy has seen more than twice as many victims of the disease as China, the country where the outbreak began.

Image without a caption

The number of deaths in China — at least, reported deaths — has flattened. Nearly all of the increase this month has been a function of growth in the rest of the world, particularly Italy.

Image without a caption

Looking at it another way, while China accounted for all of the deaths from the virus late last month, it accounts for only about 15 percent of them now. A third of all of the reported deaths that have been linked to the virus have happened in Italy. (Iran is probably underreporting the number of deaths it has seen. Two weeks ago, The Washington Post reported that the country was digging mass graves.)

Image without a caption

Compared with the global total, that sliver of yellow, representing the deaths in the United States, remains fairly small. But it does constitute one out of every 20 deaths from the coronavirus that have been reported.

What has been concerning is that the rate at which the number of deaths has changed day-to-day has been increasing in the United States even as it is declining in Italy and Spain, the two countries with the most reported deaths. The number of deaths in those countries is still rising, but at a slower pace. The pace of new deaths in the United States has been rising. (The downturn in the most recent figure for the United States is a function of incomplete totals for Thursday.)

Image without a caption

(We demarcated the point at which each country saw its 100th death because the percentages are more volatile with lower totals.)

AD

Part of the reason that the number in Italy is slowing is that it implemented broad social distancing measures several weeks ago. Those measures take a few weeks to be reflected in the data, given the incubation period of the virus. That means that we may see the figure in the United States soon stabilize, thanks to the measures that were implemented over the past week or two here, as well.

The concern is that that stabilization will occur only after a rise similar to what Italy has seen over the past three weeks.

2 minutes ago, Spartan said:

The 20th person in the United States to have died of covid-19, the disease caused by the novel coronavirus that has become a global pandemic, died on March 8, according to data from Johns Hopkins University.

The 40th person to die of covid-19 died four days later, on March 12. The 60th died three days after that. The 80th died the day after that. The 100th died the day after that, on March 17.

The 200th died on March 19. The 400th died on March 22 — on Sunday. The 500th died on March 23. The 600th died the next day, Tuesday. So did the 700th. The 800th and 900th died Wednesday. The 1,000th died Thursday.

As of writing, the total number of deaths from the coronavirus in the United States is nearing 1,100 — about 5 percent of all cases in the world. As the data suggest, the number is expected to continue to climb.

The increased death toll in the United States occurred in parallel with (and obviously contributed to) a surge in the number of coronavirus deaths globally over the past several weeks.

Image without a caption

That surge is mostly a function of the rapid increase in the death tolls in Italy and Spain. Italy has seen more than twice as many victims of the disease as China, the country where the outbreak began.

Image without a caption

The number of deaths in China — at least, reported deaths — has flattened. Nearly all of the increase this month has been a function of growth in the rest of the world, particularly Italy.

Image without a caption

Looking at it another way, while China accounted for all of the deaths from the virus late last month, it accounts for only about 15 percent of them now. A third of all of the reported deaths that have been linked to the virus have happened in Italy. (Iran is probably underreporting the number of deaths it has seen. Two weeks ago, The Washington Post reported that the country was digging mass graves.)

Image without a caption

Compared with the global total, that sliver of yellow, representing the deaths in the United States, remains fairly small. But it does constitute one out of every 20 deaths from the coronavirus that have been reported.

What has been concerning is that the rate at which the number of deaths has changed day-to-day has been increasing in the United States even as it is declining in Italy and Spain, the two countries with the most reported deaths. The number of deaths in those countries is still rising, but at a slower pace. The pace of new deaths in the United States has been rising. (The downturn in the most recent figure for the United States is a function of incomplete totals for Thursday.)

Image without a caption

(We demarcated the point at which each country saw its 100th death because the percentages are more volatile with lower totals.)

AD

Part of the reason that the number in Italy is slowing is that it implemented broad social distancing measures several weeks ago. Those measures take a few weeks to be reflected in the data, given the incubation period of the virus. That means that we may see the figure in the United States soon stabilize, thanks to the measures that were implemented over the past week or two here, as well.

The concern is that that stabilization will occur only after a rise similar to what Italy has seen over the past three weeks.

every weekend next week stabilize avutundhi Ani expect chestunaru but raise avutunaye cases . Let's see how long 

Just now, Spartan said:

1 in 20 ante, mortality rate 0.05% as of now..

Italy lo 2% vellindi peak ki....

hope that doesnt repeat elsewhere...

Mortality rate was low as of now but coming week it will be high since lots & lots of people will be hospitalized and doctors have to choose 😔

I can see Elmhurst Hospital from my house. I live in the Epicenter of the Epicenter in US. 50 people died today in Queens. 

My aunt and uncle got it.

My cousin brother ( different family ) , his 6 year old kid and mom got it. 

I hear  at least 50 ambulances go by my street every day with the sirens on.

But but but people are still roaming outside. 

Just now, pittagoda said:

I can see Elmhurst Hospital from my house. I live in the Epicenter of the Epicenter in US. 50 people died today in Queens. 

I got angry in the morning when people are going for a walk 

3 minutes ago, Spartan said:

1 in 20 ante, mortality rate 0.05% as of now..

Italy lo 2% vellindi peak ki....

hope that doesnt repeat elsewhere...

5%

1 minute ago, pittagoda said:

New Yorkers for a reason

Just now, Spartan said:

New Yorkers for a reason

We have pick up artist ( PUA ) group chats on Telegram which has 1200+ guys in NYC going out and picking up chicks. Till last week everyone were outside. Unfortunately all colleges closed and all girls left but still there people were feeding in scrap.. 

Last week one guy in Brooklyn got sick and his friend got sick thanks to him.. They posted in the group to avoid going out and their situation.. One of them was unable to breathe and other had unbearable body aches .. Since then 95% of the dailys are home.. Now all are scared..