Power With A Purpose - Pawan Kalyan Demystified

Power Star

- Vrinda Prasad

A star is always more precious than an actor for many reasons. While, as movie watchers, we cherish the impact that actors have upon us for a limited phase, a star is someone who grows on us gradually and with a better longevity. There's something more to what makes them special, right from the way they walk to the way speak, dance or tease our senses or even choose their films, helping us nurture a fondness that's alien to any success or failure or even to criticism, where the bulk of the joy lies in celebrating the paradox in itself. That's the beauty of it all, a mystery behind a history not many can ever decode.

Pawan Kalyan, the name on the frame and the chanting feels like getting to us even now. He felt like one among us as he started out with Tholi Prema, Suswagatham and Gokulam Lo Seetha, a man of modesty who never opened himself to public space much, not making much fuss about him being a brother of Megastar, unfettered about creating an image, confessing his love for farming, having an eye for charity, caressing his hair sideways as he comes about on-screen, delivering his 'aaan's and 'uuun's with an un-cinematic ease and as we go describing him this way, this tells us, we love him for all the lack of consciousness he shows in his methods. The starry air is not imposed and the love feels a spell that we cannot have enough of.

Quite candid enough about not delivering a success post Khushi, to public knowledge, he felt let down, more so for not reaching out to the people, who'd always swore by him. At one point of time, one of his fans had also remarked, “Okka cinema iyyandanna mee fans ani garvanga cheppukodaniki,” and there came about Attarintiki Daredi (the above reference was quoted by him in the audio launch), which deserves a mention not for the film, but the piracy issue that it openly conquered with love and an equal measure of law.

Even on the sets of Attarintiki Daaredi, his co-actress, Samantha, well aware that respect for a person needs to come from the heart and not from whatever she's gone onto hear, wanted to know him well before she showered her fan-tributes to him like many of her contemporaries. She goes on to choose a particular bunch of words, unique to her personality and her body of work as she says, “ I have never been one to follow the herd. Just because everyone loves him I had no intention of loving him. Things changed, I would say, from day one. He does not try to be a good human being like the rest of us. He just is one. I noticed while working with him that he has the most striking eyes. I think that's the most bewitching feature in him. Every fan of his will agree with me. And to me ones eyes are a window to one’s soul. His eyes are only as beautiful as his soul.”

The person that he's always been, with an underplaying spark of a Che Guevara in his thoughts, as his loyalists lovingly put out, and as we also saw him taking a political plunge, we've witnessed the depth, the pain, the desperation in his voice to achieve something bigger, more than the fame, above the love for people or power or an aspect which we might never know about too. All of it together, something keeps pushing him to not rest on his laurels which also interestingly help him grow with them. That's where he's beyond cinema, in a space that's nearly saintly but humanly enough, alluring but not gaudy, not overtly flattering but a testimony to where the respect for him more than the love comes about.

Among those to dedicate a song after his name in his first film, Reyy and also titling his second after a song name of PK, Pilla Nuvvu Leni Jeevitham, it's Sai Dharam Tej's turn to help us decode what the man is nearly upto, on-screen and otherwise.

“One thing I really respect about him is that he is very generous, but yes, he won't go over board. He would read the newspapers and suddenly spot an article of someone needing help for surgery or one suffering from an ailment. Next, he would make sure they get help at the right time. That's something many of us should pick up from him. His dedication towards work and everything he does is commendable, that's something I have learnt from him,” is what he says, being the nephew and yet adoring him much more than a family member.
The aura of Pawanism is not only restricted to his family or fans but the industry that made him whatever he's today too and here's where character artiste Brahmaji's experience of respecting PK for his firm stand just when the former needed, serves as an eye-opener. “I had faced a controversy a few years back and he was my pillar of support then. I'm ever grateful to him for that. Working with him on sets too is an experience. It's interesting to note his mood changes with the character he plays. If it's an Attarintiki, he is all pepped up, but on the contrast if he is playing a serious character, he remains confined to himself,” he gives weight to his perception.

Harish Shankar talks on similar lines as he recalls the experience of working with him for Gabbar Singh. In fact, he even remembers the exact date on which an unforgettable incident occurred and going by what he recalls, December 4, 2011 is perhaps one of the most memorable dates in Harish Shankar’s life . “We were going for a test shoot and as he was acting in front of the cinema, I was okaying each shot without an element of apprehension. He got a little jittery about it and went onto ask if it was the fan or the director in me, who gave them a nod,” Harish Shankar says with an element of awe.

From his love for Akira Kurosawa, the legendary Japanese filmmaker after which the actor's son is named, whose references we have come across in his songs too, to some intermittent references of the contemporary legend Quentin Tarantino, Harish Shankar confesses that the biggest asset of Pawan Kalyan's personality is his ability to not intimidate others with his knowledge on cinema. “When he connects to something, he surrenders himself to it and you see results like Gabbar Singh happening. He knows and has a lot to say about his immediate society, tackling their problems and I don't say this as a fan, but as a person who has seen him from close quarters,” he says, adding, “ Pawan Kalyan kissed the floor after he dubbed for the film!” It’s an example which sheds some light on his zeal towards entertaining people, an aspect, he's always quoted as a blessing.

There's another person owing her success to the persona of the man with utmost gratitude for the chance of enacting a part opposite him. That's the doe-eyed darling of the masses now, Shruti Hassan, living up to her surname and her dad, packing a punch, regardless of the industry, she's been in.

“For me, working with Pawan Kalyan completely changed the face of my career with my first super hit film. Everything related to my career, is now before and after Gabbar Singh. Although he’s very reserved, he has some wonderful things to say when he interacts. Often, we used to talk about music and he would tell me a lot about farming as one of his passions. Once I was reading graphic novels I was taken by surprise about his deep interest in them. He really enjoys the smaller things in life, that's what it seemed like to me. He never made me feel lesser than him in anyway. There's always a positive energy when he's around and he's a man who is very confident about himself,” she chips in, even as she's busy shooting for a film, promoting another and talking about her past.

Here in the teaser of Sardaar Gabbar Singh 2 too, as we see him blaze past the evening sun, arrive with his horse like one among the battle heroes in the Mahabharatha, the red cloth enveloping his charm and DSP's music being slowly built to construct his entry, the love only multiplies manifold. Although there's every fear of this tribute being lost among a million treatises flooding on the social media, which too he is well and truly worthy of, the joy of putting to words on what Pawan Kalyan means to me, the ones around me and those who know, need to know him remains unparalleled. It's an element of selflessness that we see is developing over time, to see him enjoy everything he does and extracting our celebratory instants out of that. An owner of such sincere love and purity, all inside and around him too, how more gifted can he be on his 44th birthday? Oh, forget the number now!