My wife and I had an agreement to help put each other through school. Now that she's through, she's filing for divorce (NM)

Mirage

3 minutes ago, betapilli said:

I don't know why women would choose men who don't commit to kids' responsibilities. Having kids or not having kids should be a conscious decision that both parents take based on their circumstances. What sanctions are we talking about here against all men? 

because they are gold diggers and opportunists just like rest of humans.. but these people play it well.. (my opinion)

Competitive men not being considered to achieve 50% women target.

5 minutes ago, MRI said:

because they are gold diggers and opportunists just like rest of humans.. but these people play it well.. (my opinion)

Competitive men not being considered to achieve 50% women target.

Men can be good diggers too, if there were more successful women than men, then women won't have a choice but to marry someone under their social status. 

Just now, betapilli said:

Men can be good diggers too, if there were more successful women than men, then women won't have a choice but to marry someone under their social status. 

men can be.. but women are. (stereotyped demands will attract stereotyped comments).

So, to improve social status of all women, the entire world need to slow down its pace and competent people give up on what they enjoy doing!

Just now, MRI said:

men can be.. but women are. (stereotyped demands will attract stereotyped comments).

So, to improve social status of all women, the entire world need to slow down its pace and competent people give up on what they enjoy doing!

Women are being gold diggers because men are willing to marry below their social stature. It's because there are more successful men than women. That's really the problem. 

2 minutes ago, betapilli said:

Women are being gold diggers because men are willing to marry below their social stature. It's because there are more successful men than women. That's really the problem. 

and many men are at a better social status because they did not whine about giving an opportunity.. they work in what they got.. unlike others who play the game well.. women too inherent social status from their fathers.. but their greed never ends..

4 minutes ago, betapilli said:

and funny there is no comment for the second part.. why don't we talk about competence irrespective of self identifying information?

4 hours ago, Mirage said:

//Basically what the title says. My wife and I both wanted to pursue careers that require advanced degrees. We came up with a plan for each of us to work full time while putting the other through school. 

scotts_300x250.jpg

For the past five years I've worked to help put her through the last two years of her bachelor's degree and three years of law school. She's graduating in May. In this time, I've covered all of our expenses, rent, utilities, as well as payments to her loans. At the end of this semester there will be about $75k worth of loans that I am co-signed for. 

scotts_300x250.jpg

When I excitedly spoke of how much better things will be once she graduates, she was very non-committal and kept saying, "We'll see," when I talked about applying for my program. 

Two weeks ago, I was served with divorce papers. I was completely blindsided by this. When I asked her for an explanation, she simply replied that we'd been growing apart for a while and she needed to find her happiness. I found out this weekend that she met someone in school. He is the son of a named partner of a prominent law firm. 

She wants the student loan debt split 50/50 in the divorce. She is asking for no spousal support as she does not need it. When I responded that if she's going to be working as an attorney that I would be filing for spousal support, she called me a bunch of emasculating names and said, "It's over, okay? You need to let me go and be happy for me." 

I have barely eaten or slept since this happened. I have a consultation with a divorce attorney on Wednesday. I just feel hopeless. She hasn't worked in five years, is she free to just walk away and leave me with nothing? I know she has no income right now, but her earning will be significant in the future. Am I totally screwed?//

r8K8J6.gif

1 hour ago, MRI said:

and funny there is no comment for the second part.. why don't we talk about competence irrespective of self identifying information?

How can you attribute competence to gender? Some men are more competent than some women, just like some women are more competent than some men. 

3 hours ago, zarathustra said:

US lo ayithe definite ga physical violence unte mostly police ni approach avutharu bro. 

My friend's wife beat him up with a frying pan and called the police and told them that he was the one that beat her up. Police came home, saw the whole scenario and figured out that she was the abuser. Strong warning ichi vellaru aameku

ade abbai aithe restraining orders tokka totakura anni esi vadini bokka loki thostar even he will be kicked out of his house.

2 hours ago, zarathustra said:

When we were just corresponding over phone and video when it was long distance, we had little to no disagreements on a lot of issues. 

But once we got engaged and I moved in with her(this is before we got married), we had a few really serious fights and arguments like atleast once a month. And 2 days before our marriage, we had the biggest fight ever and even said we regret marrying each other. After we came back from our honeymoon, we had another huge fight and it all made me wonder if we would even be together after one year. 

However, once we started understanding each other more our fights subsided and I started looking at things from her perspective as well. Same with her, even if we disagree we are very polite towards each other about it and discuss why we disagree with what we disagree about. We also watch our tempers when we are mad at each other and try to curb them, she puts in effort as much as I do. That's why I wouldn't want to leave her and go away, to get this place it took a while for us and I don't want to undo it. 

Career is okay but I think even having a very successful career without a happy personal life isn't gratifying, atleast to me. I believe I can balance both eventually, she's also supportive in every way about my career choices and if I decide to switch careers etc. 

Only point of contention is that our parents aren't as close to each other as we would have liked them to be, but then again her parents treat me like their own son and she treats my parents like her own parents as well. So that way we all are on the same page. 

bold: my intention too

red: chala kastam in laws and parents oke page paiki ravadam.