Vijender ensures bronze for India in W' boxing

thunderstorm369

Olympic bronze medalist Vijender Singh (75 kg) today scripted history, ensuring India's maiden medal at the World Boxing championship by advancing to the semifinals in Milan, Italy.

Vijender, who is world number 2 and has been given the top seeding in Milan, defeated Sergiy Derevyanchenko of Ukraine 12-4 in his quarterfinal bout tonight.

"It turned out to be an easy one for me. I was leading from the very start and I am happy to have scripted another history for India," the pugilist said.

Vijender had last year won India its first medal in boxing at the Beijing Olympics. The 23-year old was recently awarded the 'Khel Ratna'.

The Olympic bronze medal-winning middle weight pugilist, who is seeded number one in the event, joined compatriot Dinesh Kumar (81kg) in the last-eight stage with a 4-2 win over Canadian Steve Rolls late last night.

"It was low scoring and there were some tense moments but I am happy to have come out on top in the end," Vijender said from Milan.