Plane crash survivors trapped on ferris wheel caught on camera

KalyanK

[img]http://resources1.news.com.au/images/2011/10/02/1226156/517217-ferris-wheel-plane-crash.jpg[/img]

RIDING the ferris wheel at a country fair Amber Andell pointed out the plane to her brother Jesse.

A twin-seater Cheetah S200 had just taken off from the nearby airstrip and the siblings were in for a bird's-eye view as it flew overhead.

But in an instant, their excitement turned to terror - the plane ploughed into the ferris wheel just metres from their carriage, leaving them trapped and terrified they were going to die as their mother Kathy watched helplessly from the ground 10m below.

"I was looking around as we went up and I said, 'Look Jesse, there's a plane', because he likes planes," Amber said yesterday.

"(Then) I said, 'I think it's going to crash, hold on tight'. There was this huge bang and the cage shook - and I dropped Jesse's Woody doll."

Amber, 13, and Jesse, 9, were at the Old Bar Beach Festival on the mid-north NSW coast on Saturday when they climbed on to the ferris wheel about 10.20am.

They were eventually rescued by crane hours later, but needed no medical attention.

The pilot, Paul Cox, 53, of Taree, and his son-in-law John Rowan, 32, also survived.

Air safety investigators are examining why the ferris wheel was set up so close to the end of the runway.

Mr Cox said yesterday he didn't see the ferris wheel.s

"I just want to take off, do a go-around and I didn't even see the ferris wheel," he said.