Amri Hospital Fire: An Eyewitness Account----tragedy

nickrayudu

[color=#3F3F3F][font=georgia][size=4][left]Raja Ganguly (son of a deceased patient) says:[/left][/size][/font][/color][/left][color=#3F3F3F][font=georgia][size=4][left]My father was admitted to the ICU here with multiple organ failure. He was in a critical state and hence was in the ICU. I was advised to spend the night at the hospital. Around 3:30 am, I was among the first ones to notice the fumes in the basement and immediately rushed to the ICU to alert the doctors, [url="http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/topic/Nurses-(musician)"]nurses[/url] and administrative staff that there was a fire and patients needed to be removed. They paid no attention to this and said that such minor fires would not affect the ICU because it was completely secure. I had no choice but to take one last look at my father and gingerly go down to the ground floor where patients' relatives stayed at night.

Within a short while, smoke was all over the hospital and we started coughing horribly. Soon many of us started choking and something inside me said that all was lost. There was so much commotion all round, screams filled the air and too much smoke made it impossible for us to see anything. We moved out in the open. I remember that I just kept dialling numbers and kept screaming for help. The fire brigade arrived soon and we were prevented from entering the building.

About six hours hours later, when the names of the dead were being read out, my father's name was not there. My flicker of hope died down because his name was not on the list of [url="http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/topic/Survivors"]survivors[/url]who have been shifted to the other hospitals.

I was completely lost and so I kept looking at the face of every body that was being carried down, trying to see if any of them was my father. When I couldn't identify him, I accompanied the fire brigade and went up to the ICU and there he was lying dead with another patient.

I am now sitting outside the SSKM morgue waiting for my father's body to be sent for post mortem.[/left][/size][/font][/color][/left]