Fundraiser On 20Th: Upendra Chivukula For Us Congress

katharnak

[img]http://www.andhraheadlines.com/%5Cg9%5Cnews%5Cme%5C100689.jpg[/img]Somerset, NJ, May 17:The Indian-American community will support the ‘Upendra Chivukula for Congress’ campaign at a gala fundraiser on Sunday, May 20, at the Royal Albert Palace in Fords.

Chivukula has served in the New Jersey General Assembly for 10 years and previously as mayor (2000-2001), deputy mayor (1998-1999) and councilman (1997 to 2005) of Franklin Township, Somerset County.

The only Indian-American lawmaker in the 120-member New Jersey Legislature, he has been a strong advocate for issues and concerns of the entire community.

Assemblyman Chivukula is challenging two-term incumbent U.S. Rep. Leonard Lance (R-7), in New Jersey’s Congressional District 7, and hopes to be the first Indian-American from the north and northeast to be elected to the U.S. Congress.

“It has been my privilege to serve the people of New Jersey by working collaboratively with stakeholders to steward legislation and initiatives that have helped catapult our state to a national leader in clean energy and delivered thousands of clean jobs,” said Chivukula (D-Somerset\Middlesex).

A veteran lawmaker and experienced municipal official, Chivukula knows he is ready to serve at a national level.

“With your support, I can make a difference in Washington --- to help end the gridlock, grow jobs and improve the national economy,” he added.

Indian-Americans are the largest component of the state’s fastest-growing Asian-American group which accounts for 8.3 percent of New Jersey’s nearly nine million population.

“Political empowerment is through representation and participation. It has been my privilege to serve the Indian-American community at the state level and to rally your increasing engagement in the political process. I believe it is time to put an Indian-American in the U.S. Congress to help address our issues and concerns. I ask for your support on May 20th so we can make history together,” Chivukula said.

An electrical engineer by profession, he has a track record as a problem solver who has worked successfully on a bipartisan basis to incentivize business, reduce costs by promoting municipal shared services and eliminating waste, and generating savings for ratepayers. He holds several leadership positions in the Assembly.

Chivukula serves as Deputy Speaker of the New Jersey General Assembly, and chairs the Assembly Telecom and Utilities Committee, is vice chair of the Homeland Security and State Preparedness Committee and a member of the Transportation, Public Works and Independent Authorities Committee.

Chivukula has emerged as the go-to lawmaker on complex technical issues as one of the few scientists in the 120-member New Jersey Legislature. His training as an engineer and extensive work experience in utilities and telecom, prior to being elected to the Assembly, has empowered him with valuable insights and expertise.

"I will do my best to be a worthy representative for the people of New Jersey. I look forward to earning the trust and confidence of constituents in the 7th District in the upcoming months,” noted Chivukula.

Measures Chivukula sponsored have helped construct the state’s clean energy infrastructure and incentivize the use and development of renewable sources like wind and solar among industrial, business and residential ratepayers.

He has sponsored legislation to fund clean energy technologies, incentivize energy efficiency, and reduce the production of carbon dioxide, a greenhouse gas which is the main cause of global warming pollution.

These include the Regional Greenhouse Gas Initiative (RGGI), the Solar Energy Advancement and Fair Competition Act and the Offshore Wind and Economic Development Act.

A longtime resident of Franklin, Chivukula has the distinction of being the first Township resident to be elected to the New Jersey General Assembly in more than 100 years.

“’Seva,’ which is Sanskrit for service, of our fellow beings, is the highest calling of all and those of us who are in public office enjoy the rare privilege of being able to fulfill that mission,” Chivukula said.

“Being able to make a difference in people’s lives is what inspires me every day. With your support, I look forward to serving at the national level and continuing to empower the people I serve.”

Hari Eppannappally, chief coordinator of the May 20th fundraiser called on the community to rally behind Chivukula.

“Assemblyman Chivukula has an excellent track record of community service and performance as a lawmaker. He will be uncontested in the June primary, making him the unanimous choice of the Democratic party. We have a historic opportunity to send an Indian-American of his caliber, experience and expertise to Congress. Let’s make history together,” Eppannappally said.

The fundraiser hosted by the Indian-American community is scheduled to start at 4:00 p.m. at the Royal Albert Palace in Fords, NJ and continue through 8 p.m.