IS IT LEGAL TO WORK WHEN THE OPT EXTENSION IS APLLIED

indra

[b]Hi Guys i got a job and the client is asking me the I9 form, but my previous opt was expired and my new opt card might come some time later in this month.. and my client is asking this I9 form in which i have to show that i am authorized to work and the expiration date..any help and suggestions are appreciated thanks in advance.. i got this offer after a very long time pls help me guys i dont want to loose this...[/b]

as per my college international student advisors..you can work if you apply for ur opt extension before ur opt actually expires..

so you can show ur receipt of ur application and start working...

hw many days is it taking for getting opt extension card these days?

[quote author=Casanova link=topic=45835.msg422218#msg422218 date=1267595474]
as per my college international student advisors..you can work if you apply for ur opt extension before ur opt actually expires..

so you can show ur receipt of ur application and start working...

hw many days is it taking for getting opt extension card these days?
[/quote]
its been a month since i have applied.. it might take a couple of weeks more, any way thanks for ur advice mama..

[quote author=indra link=topic=45835.msg422230#msg422230 date=1267595622]
its been a month since i have applied.. it might take a couple of weeks more, any way thanks for ur advice mama..
[/quote]

usually wht i heard is u shd apply for opt extension atleast 90days prior to ur opt expiration kada..are there any reasons u applied so late?

Naku telisi it takes 30-60 days for you to get a new OPT Card. According to my university. you can work with the employer till 120 days after your current OPT expiration date and  your application for opt extension is pending or you waiting for the card.

i guess this pdf should help you [url=http://www.ice.gov/doclib/sevis/pdf/opt_policy_guidance_04062009.pdf]http://www.ice.gov/doclib/sevis/pdf/opt_policy_guidance_04062009.pdf[/url] . All the best

[quote author=indra link=topic=45835.msg422202#msg422202 date=1267595169]
[b]Hi Guys i got a job and the client is asking me the I9 form, but my previous opt was expired and my new opt card might come some time later in this month.. and my client is asking this I9 form in which i have to show that i am authorized to work and the expiration date..any help and suggestions are appreciated thanks in advance.. i got this offer after a very long time pls help me guys i dont want to loose this...[/b]
[/quote]

yes you are authorized to work when your OPT extension is in process, no matter if you dont have the card yet

it was expired last month and  i've applied 4 the ext 30 days before the expiration date...any way i am in safe zone. Thanks a lot guys... i am scared of loosing this one...

You Old OPT Card and  Receipt proof showing timely filing for exteneded OPT is as good as NEW OPT CARD.

These two proofs should help you start ur job by filling you I-9.. You can check USCIS new rules for extended OPT for the same info...

You can work when you applied for OPT extension ,  dancegdb dancegdb

on what technology are you working dude?

congratulations for your job

you rock