Chit chat with Genelia

muttu121

shashirekhaparinayam87.jpg

Charming Genelia is now the most happening actress in India. Cute and bubbly characters in Bommarillu in and Jaane Tu Ya Jaane Na in Hindi paved her way to men’s heart. With a string of successes in Telugu, Hindi, Tamil and Kananda, Genelia is practically living in her suitcases what with her constant juggling between cities. After the super success of Ready, Genelia will be seen in director Krishnavamsi’s Sasirekhaa Parinyam that is getting ready for release. On the location of the movie in Ramoji Film City, she spoke with Telugucinema.com about the film and her personal life. Excerpts from the chitchat..

Tell us about Sasirekhaa Parinayam

I play the role of a spirited, independent girl called Sasirekha. She doesn’t believe in dowry system and runs away from her marriage on this. On her journey she meets Abhi (played by Tarun) and what happens then is the crux of the movie. It is a story of a girl’s journey finding independence, striving for individuality. In our society, women are taken for granted. Sasirekha questions this.

Is it a rebellion kind of character!

Not exactly! Tell me which girl likes a price tag attached to her? That is what Sasirekha is against for and leaves her marriage. Sasirekha is like a child but with mature thinking. You can say, a child in women’s body. I am sure that every girl can easily relate with this Sasirekha. See, every girl working outside and in offices, tries to be diplomatic. They are always on guard. Unlike them, Sasirekha is free spirited.

Which character reflects Genelia - Hasini or Sasirekha?

Hasini is a role model but you can find qualities of Sasirekha in me too.

The title suggests that it is a heroine-oriented film!

No, it is not. 90 percent of the film revolves around both the lead characters – Tarun and me.

In Ready too, You did run away from marriage and you play the same role in Sasirekhaa Parinayam.

Ha..Ha. I hope I don’t have to runway from my own marriage in real life. Jokes apart, the two characters are quite different to each other. May be, I can be best choice for the Telugu version of RunAway Bride if someone wants to remake it (laughs).

Rumors have it that the movie is based on Jab We Met?

I want to categorically say that Sasirekhaa Parinayam is not remake of Jab We Met. It is nothing to do with that Bollywood movie. I don’t know how the rumors began but Sasirekhaa Parinayam has no similarities with any of the movies.

How is it working with director Krishnavamsi?

Initially I had not clue about his working style but I heard that he was egoistic, tough, etc. Having worked with him now, I found them false and learnt so much from him. His passion for films, his understanding benefited me profoundly. All these six years in my movie field, this is the first time that I have actually learnt a lot about many aspects about filmmaking, acting and others things. I have taken so much from Sasirekhaa Parinayam, which will help further my career.

Have you seen any of his films?

Yes. Loved his Murari. Actually, the briefing that I was given for Bommarillu was that the family setup would be on the lines of Murari.

Krishnavamsi is known for portraying heroines very glamorously!

He portrayed me extremely well in this film.  His heroines are real, the ones that you actually see in our day-to-day life and no artificiality attached to them. He makes them look so glamorous yet have a soul to them. His heroines are not showpieces. Yes, I look glamorous but have no qualms the way he is shown me.

You are doing Bommarillu in all the three languages. How do you feel?

In fact, I am feeling so happy and I must be fortunate to play the same role in all the three languages - in Telugu, Tamil and now in Hindi. In most cases, when a film is remade in other languages the cast is replaced. Only in my case, it didn’t happen. I feel I am lucky.

shashirekhaparinayam86.jpg

How is life after Jaane Tu Ya Jaane Na’s success?

It has been overwhelming experience in the last one year. I had four hits in four languages this year. Ready in Telugu, Santosh Subramaniam in Tamil, Jaane Tu in Hindi, and maiden Kannada movie Satya In Love are big hits. Perhaps, I am the only actress to have four hits in four different languages in period of 12 months.

In all these four, which filmdom you prefer personally?

I enjoy working all the film industries. Telugu, Tamil, Kannada and Hindi audiences have received me so well and gave me success. Personally, Telugu is like my home. I am not saying it because I am doing a Telugu movie. In the last six years, my growth in Telugu has been very consistent - I had done second leads as well as heroine roles and now got prominence. Tollywood is my home.

How do you maintain your svelte figure?

Frankly speaking I eat in healthy way. That doesn’t meant that I don’t take Biryani’s or oil foods but I eat properly. Also I was athlete in my school days.

Current projects?

I am doing two Hindi films - Its My Life with Harman Baweja (Remake of Bommarillu), Life Partner directed by Abbas

Mastan. Will accept Telugu film next year.

• 1 year later...