***********Rio Olympics 2016******************

Kool_SRG

India Womens Archery

After 12 rounds

Deepika Kumari finishes 20th with a total score of 640. She started off well but then faltered. She had even hit the top spot before stumbling at the halfway mark.

Laxmirani Majhi had a disappointing campaign as she ended 43rd with a score of 614. Bombayla Devi Laishram sparkled in bits to finish 24th with 638 points.

India finish 7th with a total score of 1892.

Done pretty decently well. Deepika & Devi qualify for further rounds.

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kool_SRG

• Dustbin

• perugu_vada

• k2s

Rio 2016 Olympics: Dattu Bhokanal reaches quarters with third place finish in heats

Rio 2016 Olympics, Rio Games, Dattu Bhokanal, Dattu, rower Dattu Bhokanal, India Rowing team, Rowing India, India rower Rio Olympics, Rowing, Sports

India’ sole rower, Dattu Bhokanal has given India a rousing start in the rowing men’s single sculls event. After a drop in the middle, Dattu picked up the pace to finish third and progress to the quarterfinals.

Dattu led the race in the opening few minutes but was eventually taken left behind by Cuba’s Angel Fournier Rodriguez. Fournier finished first followed by Mexico’s Juan Carlos.

Armyman Bhokanal finished the 2000m race with a timing of 7:21.67s behind Angel Fournier Rodriguez, who clocked 7:06.89s and Mexico’s Juan Carlos Cabrera, clocking 7:08.27s.

Bhokanal was in second place for the first 500 metres of the race but started to lag behind once the Mexican in lane 2 picked up the pace around the 700 metres mark.

The well built Cuban and the Mexican then increased their lead from the rest but Bhokanal maintained his third position although he was more than 13 seconds behind the second placed Cabrera.

Dattu Bhokanal, 24-year-old Armyman , hails from the state of Maharashtra and is the only India to participate in the sculls event.

Bhokanal’s best international achievement so far was winning a silver in men’s single sculls in the 16th Asian Rowing Championships in China last year. He won two gold medals in the 2014 National Rowing Championships and represented India at the 2014 Asian Games in China.

Bhokanal won the silver medal at the FISA Asian and Oceania Olympic qualification regatta. Rower clocked 7 mins 07.49 seconds in the 2km course.

Rio 2016: I'm A Soft Target, People Want To Take Potshots At Me, Says Leander Paes

Leander Paes' dream of winning an Olympic gold medal came to an end as the Indian tennis veteran, partnering Rohan Bopanna, lost his opening 2016 Rio Games men's doubles match in straight sets

Leander Paes Rohan Bopanna 0608

Rio de Janeiro: An emotional Leander Paes did not hide his disappointment after losing the 2016 Rio Olympics first round men's doubles match with Rohan Bopanna, stating that he has "become a soft target" and that is the reason why people are "taking potshots" at him.

Paes was furious at reports of him not allegedly wanting to share a room with Bopanna and then also going on record about not being allotted room in the Games Village.

Asked about whether the sheen has been taken off without a doubles Olympic medal in cabinet, Paes said:"It should have been about celebrating a career. I am in a position of being the soft target, so a lot of guys wanna (sic) take shots at me. Fine, go for it. I am also just another human being, trying my best. But Leander is soft target. I will keep going as I am resilient. I know a lot of stories are being fed."

His answer was laced with sarcasm when he said that some people were trying to pull him down when they did not even know what it takes to win one Grand Slam.

"Not many people understand what it takes to win one Grand Slam. Not many people understand what it takes to win 10 Grand Slams. Not many people understand what it takes to win 18 Grand Slams. Not many also understand what getting to seven Olympics takes.

"May be how do I view it, I may be wrong, am asking for help. May be you all can tell me how to view it. May be you pull Lee down to this level so that you can understand what it takes."

Paes and Bopanna lost their opening men's doubles match 6-4, 7-6(6) to Polish duo Lukasz Kubot and Marcin Matkowski on Saturday.

Bopanna is still in with a shout for a medal as he will partner Sania Mirza in the mixed doubles.

One of the Indias Top Contenders for Medal Jitu Rai Crashes out in Final..

12:07 AM IST: Jitu eliminated. The Army man could only produced 78.7 after 8 rounds of shooting in what has been a very very tight final, which also has the Olympic legends like Jongoh Jin of South Korea and Pang Wei of China. Jin won the gold medal at 2012 London Games, and was the silver medallist in Beijing 2008, losing to home favourite Wei.

Wei is often considered the heir to Chinese great Yifu Wang, the only male shooter to have won two gold medals 10 metre air pistol.

# Jitu Rai qualifies for 10m air pistol final with scores of 96, 96, 98, 96, 96, 98.

Rio Olympics, Shooting: Jitu Rai Crashes Out Of 10-Metre Air Pistol Finals, Finishes 8th

jitu rai 0608

Leading medal hope in shooting, Jitu Rai, failed in his quest to give India their first medal at the 2016 Rio Olympics, after finishing a disappointing eighth in the finals of the 10-metre air pistol event on Saturday.

Jitu, who was the first Indian to qualify for 2016 Rio Games after winning the gold medals at the Commonwealth Games and Asian Games in Incheon in 2014, could only manage a score of 78.7 in the finals.

The Indian shooter was the first one to be eliminated from the 10-metre air pistol finals.

Earlier in the day, Jitu had reached the finals of the event by finishing sixth out of 46 competitors in the qualifying event.

The other Indian in the fray Gurpreet Singh crashed out finishing 20th with a score of 576.

Jitu fired his way to 580 points with sequence of 96 in the first two series followed by 98, 96, 96 and 98. He shot 22 X.

Italian Guiseppe Giardano shot the same but had 24 X which gave him the fifth position.

China's Pang Wei returned 590, six better than the second placed Jin Jongoh of Korea in the qualifying event.

Rio 2016 Hockey: Rupinder Pal Singh Brace Vs Ireland Helps India Break Olympic Jinx

Indian men started their Rio Olympics hockey campaign with a hard-fought 3-2 win against Ireland. Rupinder Pal Singh scored two goals

Rupinder Pal Singh Rio 0608

Rupinder Pal Singh scored a pair of goals to help Indian men escape to a 3-2 win against Ireland in a group match of the Rio Olympics 2016 hockey competition on Saturday. VR Raghunath scored India's first goal but Ireland hit back with third and fourth quarters.

This was India's first win in an Olympic match after 12 years. Eight-time Olympic champions India last won a match in the Summer Games in 2004 in Sydney.

All five goals in the match came after penalty corners. Raghunath (15th) and Rupinder Pal (27th and 49th) scored out of India's seven short corners while Jermyn John (45th) and Conor Harte (56th) converted from the nine penalty corners that Ireland forced.

India play defending champions Germany next on Monday. India must win at least two of their group matches to keep their hopes alive for the quarterfinals. In another match in India's pool, Netherlands and Argentina finished 3-3.

Scary moments in final quarter for India

Ireland gave Indian some anxious moments in the final quarter. They forced four penalty corner in a space of four minutes and Harte's goal with four minutes left on the clock set up a thrilling finish.

India lost Ramandeep Singh in the final minutes due to a yellow card but their experience to play possession hockey helped the world No. 5 team win full points and a big slice of confidence ahead of the Germany match.

Sardar Singh was India's livewire in the match. The former captain was a bundle of energy as he ran back to defend, sprayed the passes and added muscle to attacks.

Ireland played the long ball but that did little harm to India's defence where skipper Sreejesh had a decent outing. The biggest takeaway from this win has been India's ability to convert from short corners.

Raghunath and Rupinder Pal's conversions had direction, power and precision. They will have to produce more of this as the tournament progresses.