‘It’s not about a face’: this man married his teenage crush despite all odds

4Vikram

For Bengaluru-based Jayaprakash, Sunitha was more than a teenage crush. Despite constant rejections from her, he did not lose hope, until one day he woke up to his worst nightmare. On the hospital bed lay the love of his life with bruises all over, a head with no hair, and a disfigured face. Everyone expected Sunitha’s life to end there, clueless about what lay in store for her.

ef32c456-a2b4-11e7-84eb-85ab3d3e2a90.jpg

Today, with a fairytale love story to narrate and two young children, this couple is winning the internet. Jayaprakash’s journey, which he shared on the Being You Facebook page, has crossed 1,88,000 reactions and 44,000 shares.

Jayaprakash wrote,

2004. I was 17 when I saw a new girl walk past my classroom. I couldn’t stop staring. I had never seen anyone like her. Over time, we became friends but my heart sulked every time I saw her with someone else. Soon, I stopped talking to her even though she had no idea why. After the exams, she filled in my slam book saying she wanted to talk, but it never happened. I got into college but never met another soul like her. She moved to Bengaluru.

Destiny had its own game to play, and Sunitha met with an unfortunate accident. Though the world around her had turned upside down, Jayaprakash’s love remained rock solid.

When I went to visit, I saw a person with no hair, a disfigured face, no nose, no mouth, and no teeth, walking like a 90-year-old. I was stunned. I broke down. That moment, I realised that I loved her. Later that night, I sent her a text. ‘I am the only person who can take care of you. I love you. Let’s get married,’ I said. She called and I proposed again. She laughed but she didn’t say no. Initially my mother was shocked but my dad backed me, and eventually they both came around.

While Jayaprakash’s family backed his decision, society has always remained skeptical. Sharing the reactions he received, the FB post reads,

They even asked her not to have babies because they’d have her face. People still look at her with pity and think I did a big thing by marrying her. The reality is, I married the love of my life and my life changed for the better. Today, we have two kids and wonderful mornings to wake up to together.

He added,

Today, I am married to my teenage crush. She became my love. Love isn’t about a face or imposed conditions or external beauty. It is a connection of souls. It feels right. All I know is that I love her to the moon and back, infinity and beyond, forever.