Former DGP convicted in 1990 molestation case among dignitaries at Republic Day event in Haryana

tennisluvr

SPS Rathore was convicted of molesting a minor in 1990, three years before she committed suicide.

Former DGP convicted in 1990 molestation case among dignitaries at Republic Day event in Haryana Former Haryana DGP SPS Rathore (centre) at the function in Panchkula | Sant Arora/HT Photo

The former Haryana Director General of Police SPS Rathore, who was convicted of molesting a minor in 1990, was among the dignitaries at a Republic Day event in Panchkula, the Hindustan Times reported. On Friday, Rathore was seen sitting in the front row at the event and left soon after the flag-hoisting ceremony, the report said.

Rathore, who was the president of the Haryana Lawn Tennis Association, molested the 12-year-old girl, an aspiring tennis player, at the Association’s office in Panchkula in August 1990.

When she spoke out about it, she was expelled from her school for “indiscipline”. Her family had also accused the Haryana Police of harassing them on Rathore’s orders. In December 1993, the girl committed suicide by consuming poison.

In 2010, a sessions court convicted Rathore of molesting the girl and sentenced him to 18 months in jail. In 2016, the Supreme Court upheld the conviction but reduced his sentence from 18 months to time already spent in jail.

The girl’s friend, who was with her when she was attacked in 1990 and testified against Rathore during the trial, called his presence at the function a “disgrace” to the Tricolour.

“It is shameless on the part of the local administration,” the friend told the Hindustan Times. “By endorsing such criminals, who have been convicted by the Supreme Court, the administration is directly encouraging such crimes.”

She said the administration owes an explanation, ANI reported. “No girl can feel secure with such behaviour of the administration,” she said.

There was no response from the organisers of the function or the Additional Deputy Commissioner Mukul Kumar, according to the Hindustan Times.

Chronology of Ruchika Girhotra's case

• August 12, 1990: Haryana Inspector General of Police (IGP) S P S Rathore, also the Haryana Lawn Tennis Association president, allegedly molests 14-year-old budding tennis player Ruchika Girhotra in his office room at Panchkula.
  • August 16, 1990: Complaint made to then chief minister Hukam Singh and the home secretary.
  • August 17, 1990: Hukam Singh asks Director General of Police (DGP) RR Singh to investigate the matter.
  • August 18, 1990: Police registers Daily Development Report (DDR) against Rathore.
  • September 3, 1990: R R Singh finds Rathore prima facie guilty, submits report. Recommends FIR in the matter. The DGP and Home Secretary J K Duggal recommend departmental action and chargesheet against Rathore.
  • March 12, 1991: Home Minister Sampat Singh gives consent to departmental action. Forwards it to Hukam Singh.
  • March 13, 1991: Hukam Singh gives his consent to the proposal.
  • April 6, 1991: President's Rule is imposed in the state. Governor Dhanik Lal Mandal takes over.
  • May 28, 1991: Chargesheet approved against Rathore during Governor's rule.
  • July 23, 1991: Bhajan Lal-led Congress government takes over. He remains chief minister till May 9, 1996, during which most of the alleged atrocities on Ruchika's family takes place.
  • April 6, 1992: FIR against Ashu, Ruchika's brother, for car theft registered.
  • June 30, 1992: Matter for registering FIR against Rathore taken up and Haryana LR R K Nehru recommends immediate registration of FIR against Rathore.
  • March 30, 1993: Second FIR is registered against Ashu for car theft.
  • May 10, 1993: Third FIR is registered against Ashu for car theft.
  • June 12, 1993: Fourth FIR is registered against Ashu for car theft. .
  • July 30, 1993: Fifth FIR is registered against Ashu for car theft.
  • September 4, 1993: Sixth FIR is registered against Ashu for car theft. All cases were registered under section 379 of the IPC.
  • October 23, 1993: Ashu is illegally picked by the Haryana police and kept in illegal detention for almost two months. Eleven car theft cases were registered against him.
  • December 28, 1993: Unable to cope with harassment inflicted on her and her family, Ruchika commits suicide by consuming poison.
  • December 29, 1993: Ashu is released following Ruchika's suicide.
  • April 1994: The charges framed against Rathore dropped during Bhajan Lal's tenure, months after Ruchika died.
  • Nov 4, 1994 : Rathore promoted as Additional DGP by Bhajan Lal-led Congress government.
  • May 11, 1996: Bansi Lal becomes Haryana chief minister, remains on the post till 23 July, 1999, during which Rathore is promoted as DGP.
  • June 5, 1998: Rathore suspended by Bansi Lal government in connection with a parole case regarding a detainee.
  • August 21, 1998: CBI probe is ordered in Ruchika molestation case by the Punjab and Haryana High Court.
  • March 3, 1999: Rathore is reinstated as Additional DGP by Bansi Lal government.
  • July 23, 1999: Om Parkash Chautala becomes Chief Minister.
  • September 30, 1999: Departmental inquiry exonerates Rathore in molestation case; he is promoted as DGP with retrospective effect from May 20, 1999.
  • October 10, 1999: Rathore made Haryana's DGP by the Chautala government.
  • November 16, 2000: CBI files chargesheet against Rathore in Ruchika molestation case.
  • December 5, 2000: Rathore removed as Haryana DGP and sent on leave.
  • March, 2002: Rathore retires from service.
  • December 21, 2009: CBI special court convicts Rathore in the Ruchika molestation case. Sentenced him to six months imprisonment and imposed a fine of Rs 1, 000.
  • February 8, 2010: Rathore attacked with a knife by a student of NIFD from Ahmedabad.
  • May 3, 2010: Day-to-day hearing on three appeals. One of Rathore challenging his conviction and two of CBI and Ruchika's family seeking enhancement of the sentence - in the Ruchika molestation case commence.
  • May 11, 2010: Day-to-day hearing on the three appeals in Ruchika molestation case ends. Verdict on May 20.
  • May 20, 2010: Additional District & Sessions Judge Gurbir Singh defers till May 25 pronouncement of the order.
  • May 25, 2010: Sessions court enhances Rathore's sentence from six months to one-and-a- half years. Rathore is arrested by CBI.

I was treated like a dog: Ruchika’s brother to court

Narrating the inhuman treatment meted out to him by the Haryana Police at the behest of S P S Rathore, Ruchika Girhotra's brother, Ashu, had filed an affidavit in the Punjab and Haryana High Court on December 3, 2001. Ashu was implicated and picked up for six false cases of auto theft — all the charges later fell flat in court.

"Hell was let loose on me. I was treated like a dog. I was slapped, given fist blows and had to further undergo more inhuman torture which I cannot explain in this affidavit. I was not given any food or water to drink for various days. Whenever I used to ask for a glass of water, the police officials used to give me filthy abuses," he said in his affidavit.

Saying that he tried to console Ruchika, who was suffering from depression, he added: "Life was made more miserable for the entire family. Ruchika was literally living under house arrest. As and when Ruchika used to come out of our residence, some mischievous people, who were deployed at the instance of Rathore, used to pass lewd remarks at her. Rathore also made it a point to see that Ruchika did not continue her studies."

The affidavit further states: "I was brutally beaten up by the CIA staff, Panchkula. Rathore was personally supervising the interrogation and directed the investigating officer to beat me till I give up. I was so terrorised that I could not even disclose this to the magistrate. I and my family members have been reeling under tremendous pressure. I was picked up during Diwali. I never thought that Diwali of 1993 would be the most gloomy phase of life wherein I would have to undergo such inhuman treatment. I was beaten up so mercilessly that I could not even walk properly."

Ashu was handcuffed and paraded in the neighbourhood. The "police officers were abusing my sister and father. I was like an animal who was in a cage and was trying to get myself free to save the honour of my family. My father begged the police to be afraid of God and not to inflict this inhuman torture on the family. After a few days, I was told in custody that Ruchika had committed suicide. I was picked up by the police on October 23, 1993 and was released only on December 23, 1993, after the death of my sister," Ashu had informed the High Court.