form 1099-g - help needed

jua_java

A form 1099-G, Certain Government Payments, is issued to taxpayers who are in receipt of unemployment compensation paid by the government; state or local income tax refunds, credits, or offsets; reemployment trade adjustment assistance (RTAA) payments; taxable grants; or agricultural payments.

Not all money paid by a state, local or federal government is reportable on a form 1099-G. Compensation for services, prizes, and certain incentives, may be reportable on form 1099-MISC, Miscellaneous Income (more on form 1099-MISC here). Interest payable on amounts owed to taxpayers may be reportable on Form 1099-INT, Interest Income (more on form 1099-INT here).

The form 1099-G looks like this:

2015_Form_1099-G

The payer’s identifying information is reported on the top left side of form 1099-G while your identifying information is reported on the lower left side of the form. This includes your name and your address. Your Social Security Number – or just the last few digits - will also be on the form. The first digits of the number may be redacted for your privacy (this is a relatively new development for certain forms); no matter what your copy indicates, the issuer will report your entire Social Security Number on the Copy A provided to IRS.

Your account number may also be on the form: the number is optional and doesn't affect your return.

In box 1, you'll see the total unemployment compensation paid to you this year. Benefits paid out under an unemployment compensation plan are generally taxable for federal income tax purposes. The amount is reportable at line 19 of your form 1040 (or line 13 on your form 1040A or line 3 on your form 1040EZ). Since you may owe tax as a result of your benefits, if you expect to receive them next year, you can make estimated tax payments (using a form 1040-ES) or ask the payer to withhold federal income tax.

1. What is a Form 1099-G?

Form 1099-G is a statement used to notify taxpayers on the amount of California Personal Income Tax Refund, Credit, or Offset they received for a specific tax year. It is not a bill nor notification of an additional refund.

2. Why did I receive a Form 1099-G?

You received a Form 1099-G because it appears you claimed state income tax payments as an itemized deduction on Schedule A of your Federal Income Tax Return for the tax year listed in Box 3 and received a refund, credit, or offset of $10.00 or more from your California Personal Income Tax Return.

Note: If you did not itemize deductions on your Federal Income Tax Return for the tax year indicated on Box 3, please disregard Form 1099-G.

3. When do I report the amount of the California Personal Income Tax Refund that I received on my Federal Income Tax Return?

The amount reported on the Form 1099-G must be reported in the year it was received.

4. I am e-filing my federal return and reporting the California state income tax refund I received for the previous year. The e-file program is asking for the Payer's FEIN number. What is the Franchise Tax Board's Federal Employer Identification Number (FEIN)?

Our payer FEIN number is 68-0204061.

5. I did not receive a California Personal Income Tax Refund, why did I receive a Form 1099-G?

Although you did not receive a California Personal Income Tax Refund, the amount in Box 2 of the Form 1099-G is considered to have been refunded to you whether your overpayment was:

• Directly deposited into your bank account.
    • Offset for other liabilities such as tax, penalties and interest.
    • Credited towards estimated tax payments.
    • Intercepted by other state, city or county agencies or the IRS.
    • Donated as a Voluntary Contribution on your California Personal Income Tax Return.
    • Applied to a Use Tax payment.

Note: If none of the above circumstances applies to your overpayment, please check your bank statements to verify that the Franchise Tax Board made no deposit. If there is no deposit, contact the Franchise Tax Board at the appropriate telephone number listed below.

6. Why is the amount reported on Form 1099-G different from the actual amount of the California Personal Income Tax Refund I received?

The difference in the amount may be attributed to one or more of the following:

• Part of your overpayment consists of a refundable credit such as Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) or Child and Dependent Care Expense Credit received for a tax year prior to 2011. Refundable credits are not taxable on your Federal Income Tax Return. The amount for refundable credits is not included in the Form 1099-G.
    • Part of your overpayment was offset for other liabilities such as tax, penalties, and interest.
    • You requested a portion of your overpayment to be credited towards your future estimated tax payments.
    • Part of your overpayment was intercepted by other state, city or county agencies, or the IRS.
    • You requested a portion of your overpayment be paid as Voluntary Contribution on your California Personal Income Tax Return.
    • You elected to apply a portion of your overpayment to pay Use Tax.
  7. How can I get a copy of Form 1099-G?

To view a copy of Form 1099-G, go to MyFTB and use the easy to follow directions:

• Select Account in the top navigation bar
    • Select FTB-Issued Form 1099 List
    • Select the Year Issued

You may also contact us at:

• Within the United States – 800.852.5711
  • Outside the United States – 916.845.6600 (not toll-free)
  • California Relay Service - 711 or 800.735.2929
  • TTY (Device to Device) - 800.822.6268

Or you can write to us at:

FRANCHISE TAX BOARD
PO BOX 942840
SACRAMENTO CA 94240-0040

4 minutes ago, Amrita said:
  1. What is a Form 1099-G?

Form 1099-G is a statement used to notify taxpayers on the amount of California Personal Income Tax Refund, Credit, or Offset they received for a specific tax year. It is not a bill nor notification of an additional refund.

2. Why did I receive a Form 1099-G?

You received a Form 1099-G because it appears you claimed state income tax payments as an itemized deduction on Schedule A of your Federal Income Tax Return for the tax year listed in Box 3 and received a refund, credit, or offset of $10.00 or more from your California Personal Income Tax Return.

Note: If you did not itemize deductions on your Federal Income Tax Return for the tax year indicated on Box 3, please disregard Form 1099-G.

3. When do I report the amount of the California Personal Income Tax Refund that I received on my Federal Income Tax Return?

The amount reported on the Form 1099-G must be reported in the year it was received.

4. I am e-filing my federal return and reporting the California state income tax refund I received for the previous year. The e-file program is asking for the Payer's FEIN number. What is the Franchise Tax Board's Federal Employer Identification Number (FEIN)?

Our payer FEIN number is 68-0204061.

5. I did not receive a California Personal Income Tax Refund, why did I receive a Form 1099-G?

Although you did not receive a California Personal Income Tax Refund, the amount in Box 2 of the Form 1099-G is considered to have been refunded to you whether your overpayment was:

• Directly deposited into your bank account.
    • Offset for other liabilities such as tax, penalties and interest.
    • Credited towards estimated tax payments.
    • Intercepted by other state, city or county agencies or the IRS.
    • Donated as a Voluntary Contribution on your California Personal Income Tax Return.
    • Applied to a Use Tax payment.

Note: If none of the above circumstances applies to your overpayment, please check your bank statements to verify that the Franchise Tax Board made no deposit. If there is no deposit, contact the Franchise Tax Board at the appropriate telephone number listed below.

6. Why is the amount reported on Form 1099-G different from the actual amount of the California Personal Income Tax Refund I received?

The difference in the amount may be attributed to one or more of the following:

• Part of your overpayment consists of a refundable credit such as Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) or Child and Dependent Care Expense Credit received for a tax year prior to 2011. Refundable credits are not taxable on your Federal Income Tax Return. The amount for refundable credits is not included in the Form 1099-G.
    • Part of your overpayment was offset for other liabilities such as tax, penalties, and interest.
    • You requested a portion of your overpayment to be credited towards your future estimated tax payments.
    • Part of your overpayment was intercepted by other state, city or county agencies, or the IRS.
    • You requested a portion of your overpayment be paid as Voluntary Contribution on your California Personal Income Tax Return.
    • You elected to apply a portion of your overpayment to pay Use Tax.
  7. How can I get a copy of Form 1099-G?

To view a copy of Form 1099-G, go to MyFTB and use the easy to follow directions:

• Select Account in the top navigation bar
    • Select FTB-Issued Form 1099 List
    • Select the Year Issued

You may also contact us at:

• Within the United States – 800.852.5711
  • Outside the United States – 916.845.6600 (not toll-free)
  • California Relay Service - 711 or 800.735.2929
  • TTY (Device to Device) - 800.822.6268

Or you can write to us at:

FRANCHISE TAX BOARD
PO BOX 942840
SACRAMENTO CA 94240-0040

tks for the info. Yes i recd some money as itemized return . So do we need to repay anything ?? final ga one word lo any hole for me ?? or is it just an FYI kind of stuff to file taxes for next year ?

7 minutes ago, jua_java said:

tks for the info. Yes i recd some money as itemized return . So do we need to repay anything ?? final ga one word lo any hole for me ?? or is it just an FYI kind of stuff to file taxes for next year ?

Did you get this for 2018 or 2017?  I think it looks like you have to amend that year tax filing if it is from federal .  State nunchi vaste light anta.

What did you get it for?  Unemployment or a state tax refund?  If it is a state refund it might not be taxable and you might not need to report it.

It is taxable if you itemized deductions on that year's federal return and took a deduction for state income taxes instead of the sale tax.  You got a deduction benefit for it so now you have to include it as income. If you took the standard deduction it is not taxable.

You first need to wait until the IRS Accepts or Rejects your return.  If they reject it for some reason you can just fix it and resend it.  

If it was Accepted,  you need to wait for your return to be fully processed and you get the first refund or your tax due payment has cleared.   Then you can mail in an amended return.  Do NOT change anything yet on your return until you start the amended return.   If you have changed it then take out the changes and put it back to the way it was when you originally filed.  You can fill out the amended return now but  it won't be ready to print it out  until mid-Feb

How to Amend
https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1894381-how-to-amend-change-or-correct-a-return-you-already-filed 

You will get your original refund and get to keep it. When you go through the amendment section it asks you how much you paid or got back on the original return so be sure to enter it. Then the amended return will only show the difference you get back or need to pay. You can confirm this by printing your amendment and looking at the 1040X. Line 17 should be your original refund amount and line 20 should be your additional refund.  If you paid on your original return it will be on line 15.  If there is an amount owed with the amendment, it will be on line 19.

I received a 1099-G form AFTER I filed my taxes. What do I do?

I received a 1099-G form the day after I filed my taxes.  I don't usually get this form, so I wasn't expecting it.  It it is for a very low dollar amount, around $100.  What do I need to do?  Do I need to amend my filed return?  Or is this something I can correct next year?  Just not sure what to do...

4 people found this helpful

If your 1099-G is for 2016, you cannot add it to your 2017 income tax return. You may have to amend your 2016 income tax return. 

First, check if you have to amend your 2016 income tax return. Click on Do I Need to Amend my Tax Return?

If you do have to amend your 2016 income tax return, click on How to Amend (Change or Correct) a Return You Already Filed to amend your income tax return.  

To add the 2016  1099-G to your amended 2016 income tax return(s) and it is for:

Desi Classifieds lo manolla Tax consultant ads untay..They are capable of handling these kind of things very well. Mi place lo desi website check chesi appointment theesuko