• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• uttermost

• DrBeta

• sarita

Popular Days

Just now, DrBeta said:

That seems considerate of you, but I would be offended if a computer could over-smart me. I am the result of four billion years of evolution, while computer have only evolved for the last forty years. But sure, I could use assistants to help me with research, I call them undergrads and grad students. 

don't be offended. computers will outsmart you in the future. And if it happens before the humans understand the nature of intelligence or of the brain, then its a huge problem for us.

In fact it is my sole purpose in my life now, to create superintelligent beings that make the entire economy pointless, and let humans focus on things that matter - like being curious about the world around them, through art or science, not by throwing money at others.

4 minutes ago, DrBeta said:

That seems considerate of you, but I would be offended if a computer could over-smart me. I am the result of four billion years of evolution, while computers have only evolved for the last forty years. But sure, I could use assistants to help me with research, I call them undergrads and grad students. 

if that project becomes a success it'll be a complete role-reversal. You no longer need human assistants rather u'll be a slave to the robot.

• Confused 1

Just now, uttermost said:

don't be offended. computers will outsmart you in the future. And if it happens before the humans understand the nature of intelligence or of the brain, then its a huge problem for us.

In fact it is my sole purpose in my life now, to create superintelligent beings that make the entire economy pointless, and let humans focus on things that matter - like being curious about the world around them, through art or science, not by throwing money at others.

Some of us are curious about science without your intervention. Besides, money is just a piece of paper. 

5 minutes ago, DrBeta said:

That seems considerate of you, but I would be offended if a computer could over-smart me. I am the result of four billion years of evolution, while computers have only evolved for the last forty years. But sure, I could use assistants to help me with research, I call them undergrads and grad students. 

human brain is constrained by our physical attributes, whereas the computer brain is constrained by processing power, and bandwidth.

which of these is easily scalable.. tell? hehe.. humans will be no match for the computers.

It's better if we coopt them, allow them infringe our brain and become part robot.

1 minute ago, uttermost said:

human brain is constrained by our physical attributes, whereas the computer brain is constrained by processing power, and bandwidth.

which of these is easily scalable.. tell? hehe.. humans will be no match for the computers.

It's better if we coopt them, allow them infringe our brain and become part robot.

j&*you got some crazy ideas!

2 minutes ago, DrBeta said:

Some of us are curious about science without your intervention. Besides, money is just a piece of paper. 

yeah, and I love you for it. but what I'm doing will help more resources come your way.

right now they are going to things like 250yr old watches that cost $10m. see, that's what rich people buy, because they run out of things to buy. lol.

by canceling money itself, and by automating all basic necessities, your work will be literally unimpeded. and you can have your pick of assistants, because most non-curious people aren't working anyway.

1 minute ago, uttermost said:

Naah, I believe in evolution. There is so much more to learn about ourselves, our body, our brain, our conscious and this world. For me, computers are just tools, tools to help science progress faster. It's just a man made device with way lower complexity than the human brain. I would rather be fascinated by nature/biology than man-made technologies. 

Just now, DrBeta said:

Naah, I believe in evolution. There is so much more to learn about ourselves, our body, our brain, our conscious and this world. For me, computers are just tools, tools to help science progress faster. It's just a man made device with way lower complexity than the human brain. I would rather be fascinated by nature/biology than man-made technologies. 

learning is not linear function. 

we don't understand how almost anything works, and computers won't have to too.. They will become intuitively better at statistics and come up with models that will work most of the time, without understanding the core of the issue.

AI is like that hammer, that will treat everything as a needle.

human brain isn't complex too.. if it was complex, dumbfcuk humans wouldn't be rich, and powerful among humans. all business is finding one particular idea, and hitting your customer on the head with it constantly. and with money made from that, invest in other ideas that are not your own, and relax and make money without doing any work (that's what I do as a sick fcuk leeching off other people's ideas and work).

5 minutes ago, DrBeta said:

for example, I have a really complex bitcoin like p2p currency in mind. It sounded so perfect in my head, and then I pitched it to a friend of mine, who laughed at it.

its impossible to assume that people will be willing to experiment with new ideas, that have a steep learning curve. That means human brains are not complex. perhaps have the capacity to be complex (although I doubt it).

7 minutes ago, DrBeta said:

AI is at the moment at a complexity level of a 6 months old baby. we hope it becomes a teenager, and quickly become a wise old man, so we can negotiate with it easier.

3 minutes ago, uttermost said:

for example, I have a really complex bitcoin like p2p currency in mind. It sounded so perfect in my head, and then I pitched it to a friend of mine, who laughed at it.

its impossible to assume that people will be willing to experiment with new ideas, that have a steep learning curve. That means human brains are not complex. perhaps have the capacity to be complex (although I doubt it).

Why would you doubt it? You can't know the power of a processor in a computer by seeing someone play Solitaire on it. 

14 minutes ago, DrBeta said:

human brains want safety, security, love, etc perhaps.

computers can basically s1ut it out in the open. and make more discoveries.