• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Rushabhi

• kevinUsa

• ekunadam_enkanna

• Android_Halwa

Popular Days

1 minute ago, ekunadam_enkanna said:

If you are in a rent controlled apt, that is expected. Unless inhabitable, you can't do anything.

Roju water leak avvatam sink lonchi adhi tuduchukovatam chiragga undi. Isn't water leakage a serious issue? 4 months nunchi idhe thanthu

12 minutes ago, Rushabhi said:

Roju water leak avvatam sink lonchi adhi tuduchukovatam chiragga undi. Isn't water leakage a serious issue? 4 months nunchi idhe thanthu

Tell me whether it is under rent control or not.

Usually, landlords care about their property esp with water leakage.  You can hire a plumber to fix it, and deduct the cost from your rent check.  Or you can fix it yourself, using plumber's putty which you can buy at Lowe's or home depot for $3.

1 hour ago, ekunadam_enkanna said:

Tell me whether it is under rent control or not.

Usually, landlords care about their property esp with water leakage.  You can hire a plumber to fix it, and deduct the cost from your rent check.  Or you can fix it yourself, using plumber's putty which you can buy at Lowe's or home depot for $3.

What does rent controlled mean?

1 hour ago, Rushabhi said:

Ee apartment vaadu emi repair cheyyatam ledhu. Em cheyyali can I go to any court or anything like that? 

ie courts and all work out kaavu..

UrbanClap app vundi kada...andulo oka plumber ni request chey, oka 500-1000 lo aipotadi..

next month rent ki ie receipt chupichi deduct chesuko...

instead of getting frustrated, better thing is to deal....courts and rent control will make your woes double...

Just now, Rushabhi said:

What does rent controlled mean?

Ah, you are not living in expensive areas like NYC, San Francisco, LA. Rent controlled apartments are a great deal, and landlords can't jack up rent 5% or 10% every year. Rent increase is tied to inflation. I know of a guy, who owns a home in South San Francisco, but keeps his rent controlled apartment near Lombard Street, and he pays $750 per month rent, since he's been renting it for 30 years or so.  In such apartments, tenants do their own minor fixings since breaking the lease is profitable to the landlord, but not to the tenant.

Anyway, sink leaks are so common. You can find a local plumber to fix it, and deduct it from your rent check. First send your landlord a letter or notice. If he doesn't have someone fix it in a week, hire on your own, send a check for $rent - $plumber-charge. 

1 minute ago, Android_Halwa said:

ie courts and all work out kaavu..

UrbanClap app vundi kada...andulo oka plumber ni request chey, oka 500-1000 lo aipotadi..

next month rent ki ie receipt chupichi deduct chesuko...

instead of getting frustrated, better thing is to deal....courts and rent control will make your woes double...

Rent control emi ledhu anukumta. Market rate e untundi rent

1 minute ago, ekunadam_enkanna said:

Ah, you are not living in expensive areas like NYC, San Francisco, LA. Rent controlled apartments are a great deal, and landlords can't jack up rent 5% or 10% every year. Rent increase is tied to inflation. I know of a guy, who owns a home in South San Francisco, but keeps his rent controlled apartment near Lombard Street, and he pays $750 per month rent, since he's been renting it for 30 years or so.  In such apartments, tenants do their own minor fixings since breaking the lease is profitable to the landlord, but not to the tenant.

Anyway, sink leaks are so common. You can find a local plumber to fix it, and deduct it from your rent check. First send your landlord a letter or notice. If he doesn't have someone fix it in a week, hire on your own, send a check for $rent - $plumber-charge. 

Yeah not living in expensive area. Can that be done? Hiring my own plumber?