***CORONA VIRUS UPDATES***

Kool_SRG

Two staffers of Air India  Engineering Services Ltd test positive

A technician and a tow-tug operator/ driver working with the Air India Engineering Services Ltd ( AIESL) have also tested positive for corona virus, PTI quotes sources as saying. These employees were working at the aircraft hangar of a non-schedule operator at the Mumbai airport. They were found to be infected during tests done on 7 May, they added.

Regarding two staff of AIESL testing positive for corona virus, the non-scheduled operator had informed the company in a recent e-mail. As per the e-mail, seen by PTI, the operator said that outsourced MRO (Maintenance, Repair and Overhaul) personnel attending its aircraft are also tested for corona virus infection. "AIESL personnel are also being tested in a phased manner. The results of tests conducted on May 7 have been received and two AIESL personnel have tested COVID-19 positive," the engineering head of the operator said in the e-mail to AIESL CEO.

With 26 new cases, Dharavi's total jumps to 859

26 persons from Mumbai's Dharavi tested positive for the viral infection today while two more persons succumbed to the disease. With this, the total number of positive cases in the slum area has climbed to 859 while toll has reached 29.  222 people have been cured and discharged till date, ANI quotes the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation as saying.

Tamil Nadu sees spike in infections, case count reaches 7,204

Tamil Nadu on Sunday reported 669 new cases and three deaths due to the novel corona virus, pushing the total number of infections in the state to 7,204 and toll to 47. 135 persons were also discharged following their recovery bringing the number of those recovered in the state to 1,959.

Of 669 new cases, 509 found in Chennai

According to data released by the Tamil Nadu state health department, 509 of the state's 669 new infections were reported from  Chennai. The city now has a total of 3,839 infections.

56 ITBP jawans test positive in Delhi

56 jawans of Indo-Tibetan Border Police (ITBP) have tested positive for COVID-19  in the last 24 hours, all new cases are in Delhi. Total number of COVID-19 cases in ITBP reaches 156, ANI quotes the ITBP as saying.

Karnataka reports 54 new cases 

54 new cases  have been reported in Karnataka today, taking the total number of cases to 848 including 31 deaths and 422 discharges. Number of active cases stands at 394, according to a bulletin issued by the state health department.

Kerala reports seven new cases, four recoveries

Seven more persons tested corona virus positive in Kerala on Sunday, taking the total number of cases in the state to 512 including 489 recovered/discharged and three fatalities. Four people recovered from the infection today, taking the total number of active cases to 20 in the state.

Case count in Punjab touches 1,823

The total number of corona virus cases in Punjab mounts to 1,823, with 61 more people testing positive today.

West Bengal reports 153 new cases today

West Bengal has reported 153 new cases on Sunday, taking the total cases in the state to 1,939. A total of 113 people died due to COVID-19 in the state, while 72 deaths died due to co-morbidities, according to official figures.

Telangana records 33 new cases

Telangana on Saturday recorded 33 new cases, taking total number in state to 1,196. Of these, only 145 patients are currently undergoing treatment as 751 have been cured and discharged while 30 persons have succumbed to the disease.

81 more test positive in Mumbai's Arthur Road prison

81 more inmates of Mumbai's Arthur Road prison have tested positive, taking the total number of positive cases in the prison to 184 of which 26 are staff members and rest are inmates, reports ANI.

Mumbai case count up by 875

875 fresh cases of corona virus  and 19 deaths due to the infections have been reported in Mumbai on Sunday, taking the total number of  cases to 13,564 including 212 cured/discharged and 508 deaths.

398 cases reported in Gujarat in 24 hours

In the last 24 hours, 398 new cases have been reported in Gujarat. The total number of cases stands at 8195 now, including 2545 cured/discharged cases and 493 deaths, ANI quotes the state health department as saying.

Battle against coronavirus successful, says Jitendra Awhad after discharge

Maharashtra minister and NCP leader Jitendra Awhad on Sunday said he had been discharged from hospital after recovering from the corona virus infection.
"My battle I was waging against Corona has finally succeeded and I am going home safely. I wish your love and blessings continue to be with me. I have been advised of complete rest for next one month. I can not meet any party workers or people outside my family. I will be back with more energy to serve people," Awhad tweeted in Marathi.

Awhad, MLA from Mumbra-Kalwa, had gone in quarantine as a precautionary measure on April 13 after some of the police personnel providing him security tested positive. On 21 April, he got himself admitted in a private hospital and tested positive for the virus a few days later.

Ahmedabad case count jumps to 5,818

The COVID-19 cases in Ahmedabad district of Gujarat jumped to 5,818 after 278 people tested positive for the infection on Sunday alone, an official of the state health department said. Of the 21 corona virus patients who died in the state on Sunday, 18 were from Ahmedabad district, the official said. With this, the death toll in the district has gone up to 381. A total of 266 patients were discharged from Ahmedabad city hospitals on Sunday, taking the number of recovered patients in the district to 1,373, the official said.