Ilayaraja and SPB controversy

BattalaSathi

I thought Movie Producer holds the rights to everything including the Music.  Producer pays the Music director (as he does for the Singer too) and the output is owned by the Producer and Producer alone.  If IR claims that it's his music as he composed it, by same token SPB can also claim it's his song as he sang it.  As much as I respect IR as a MD, he is plain wrong in claiming no one can sing his songs without paying him loyalty for something he doesn't own and sending notice to SPB is downright insulting.  Naa rendu centlu (ledha paisalu).

PS : His own albums like "How to name it" are an exception.  Sure, they are his own.  I am talking only about Movie songs.

Edisav le for any song the royalty is held by the music director,  lyricist and the producer.  Singer is just paid to sing it he doesn't have any royalty.  This is how the industry has been for 100 years. 

Ilayaraja did nothing wrong. 

Ilayaraja never asked SPB to stop singing his songs. He merely reminded him that for all the money they are making singing the songs composed by him he is entitled a certain royalty fee. Fair enough considering that most of the songs SPB sounds in his Live shows are composed by ilayaraja.  

And that was ignored by SPB and his team until a legal notice was sent to them. 

More recognition should be given to the artists playing the instruments as well- not just the singers and music directors. All I see is the names of heros and heroines on YouTube. sFun_duh2

31 minutes ago, BattalaSathi said:

I thought Movie Producer holds the rights to everything including the Music.  Producer pays the Music director (as he does for the Singer too) and the output is owned by the Producer and Producer alone.  If IR claims that it's his music as he composed it, by same token SPB can also claim it's his song as he sang it.  As much as I respect IR as a MD, he is plain wrong in claiming no one can sing his songs without paying him loyalty for something he doesn't own and sending notice to SPB is downright insulting.  Naa rendu centlu (ledha paisalu).

PS : His own albums like "How to name it" are an exception.  Sure, they are his own.  I am talking only about Movie songs.

•  

Central govt copyright law ani thechindhi few years back as per that rule music director has the copyright and not producer 

Royalty system itself is crap. But if Rahman is paid everytime his songs are used, Ilayaraja will also expect kadha

His songs are used everywhere and without any money reaching him. So he's angry. 

In an ideal world copyright would be a joke. But Ilayaraja doesn't live in that world. He asks for is legally his. 

2 minutes ago, reality said:

SPB konchem courtesy ga adigi undalsindhi... before using his music in his songs... granted ga thiskunnadu kabatti.. deserves legal notice.

Dude. It's not spb fault too. It's not spb job to pay Ilayaraja. Daaniki oka system undi. 

Ilayaraja sudden ga oka roju melukoni he started rambling about others not payin him and cheating him. He's right but his ire should be on the organization that was set up to collect royalty and disburse it to musicians. 

Spb got stuck in Between this. 

40 minutes ago, zarathustra said:

Ilayaraja never asked SPB to stop singing his songs. He merely reminded him that for all the money they are making singing the songs composed by him he is entitled a certain royalty fee. Fair enough considering that most of the songs SPB sounds in his Live shows are composed by ilayaraja.  

And that was ignored by SPB and his team until a legal notice was sent to them. 

But how can spb make sure that Ilayaraja is paid? I think there is some misunderstanding here. 

Ilayaraja ni maamol ga vaadukole andaru.  Oka rakam vaadakam. Hehe.. 

May be Ilayaraja paatalu royalty free ani oka mindset ki occhesaaremo and may be spb played a part in this emo.

May be one day Ilayaraja will realise that his songs are so popular even now only because it was free to use for the most part. 

He can't act like others and expect to be treated like a demi god

• Upvote 1

So organizer pays the singer and the singer pays this royalty collecting org which then pays the music directors ever few months.

Ilayaraja account lo dabbulu padatla .. hehe..

Rahman ki padthunnai .. paapam hehe 

Legal notice ki badhulu call chey ra babu. Okka 4 sarlu mottikayalu Kottu

Spb ki legal notice pampithe adhi vaadi kante mundhu press lo manane saduvutham.. because most likely his mail is handled by his son who's lazier than I am. Lol