Union minister Athawale tests positive, hospitalised in Mumbai

Kool_SRG

File image

Mumbai, Oct 27 (PTI) Union minister Ramdas Athawale, whose ''go corona, go'' chant became a national sensation, on Tuesday tested coronavirus positive, an official said.

The Republican Party of India (A) leader has been admitted to a private hospital in south Mumbai, he said.

In February, a video of Athawale, alson with a Chinese diplomat and Buddhist monks chanting "Go corona, go corona" at a prayer meeting went viral on social media.

The video was reportedly shot at the Gateway of India here on February 20 during a prayer session to stop the spread of coronavirus in China.

Athawale (60) is a member of the Rajya Sabha and minister of state for social justice in the Narendra Modi-led ministry.

The minister is also a diabetic, an aide said.

Athawale on Monday attended an event in Mumbai to induct actress Payal Ghosh into the Republican Party of India (A).

Union Minister Ramdas Athawale on October 27 said he has tested positive for COVID-19 and has been admitted to a hospital as a precautionary measure.

“My corona test has come out positive. I have been advised to get admitted to the hospital as a precautionary measure. Those who came in contact with me should also get tested as a precaution. I am in good health. Don't worry. My scheduled events have been cancelled,” Athawale said in a tweet.

According to a report by India Today, Athawale was tested for the infectious disease hours after he inducted actor Payal Ghosh in his party, Republican Party of India (Athawale), in a public ceremony.

In March, a video of Athawale, Chinese Consul General in Mumbai Tang Guocai and Buddhist monks chanting 'go corona go' at a prayer meet had gone viral on social media. The video was reportedly shot at Gateway of India on February 20 during a prayer session to stop the spread of the novel coronavirus.

Coronavirus: Maharashtra Deputy CM Ajit Pawar tests positive, hospitalised

Pawar’s family members also underwent Covid-19 tests and they tested negative.

Coronavirus: Maharashtra Deputy CM Ajit Pawar tests positive, hospitalised

Maharashtra Deputy Chief Minister Ajit Pawar on Monday announced that he has tested positive for Covid-19.

“I have tested positive for Covid-19. My health condition is fine. As a precautionary measure, I have got admitted to Breach Candy Hospital on the advice of doctors,” Pawar said in a tweet. He also asked party workers not to worry about his health and that he would be back after a brief period of rest.

Maharashtra Health Minister Rajesh Tope said that Pawar’s family members had also undergone Covid-19 tests and they tested negative, PTI reported.

The state’s Housing Minister Jitendra Awhad was among several people who tweeted prayers for Pawar’s recovery.

On Saturday, former Maharashtra Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis tested positive for the coronavirus.

Several Union ministers, including Home Minister Amit Shah, had earlier tested positive for the coronavirus. So had Karnataka Chief Minister BS Yediyurappa and his Health Minister B Sriramulu, Forest Minister Anand Singh, Tourism Minister CT Ravi and Agriculture Minister BC Patil. Congress leader Siddaramaiah had also tested positive.

Delhi Deputy Chief Minister Manish Sisodia and Health Minister Satyendar Jain had also earlier been found infected. The list includes Bihar Deputy Chief Minister Sushil Kumar Modi, Congress leader Ghulam Nabi Azad, as well as Samajwadi Party leader Mulayam Singh Yadav.