Will withdraw US troops from Somalia: Trump

Lonelyloner

US President Donald Trump has ordered that almost all American soldiers be withdrawn from Somalia in early 2021, reports the Wall Street Journal.

It has long been expected that Trump would order an almost full withdrawal from Somalia. The CIA has repeatedly pointed out that the risk of the US presence in the country has been too high.

At the end of November, a US intelligence agent with a background from Seal Team 6, the special forces that killed Osama bin Laden in 2011, was killed in the country.

US troops have been in Somalia for 13 years, but early next year most of the 700 or so troops will be relocated to bases in Kenya and Djibouti, the Wall Street Journal reports.

From the bases there, the soldiers will continue to carry out missions against the terrorist group al-Shabaab in Somalia.

Vil trekke amerikanske soldater ut av Somalia:

USAs president Donald Trump har gitt ordre om at nesten alle amerikanske soldater skal trekkes ut av Somalia tidlig i 2021, melder Wall Street Journal.

Det har lenge vært ventet at Trump ville beordre en nærmest full tilbaketrekking fra Somalia. CIA har flere ganger påpekt at risikoen ved USAs nærvær i landet har vært for høy.

I slutten av november ble en amerikansk etterretningsagent med bakgrunn fra Seal Team 6, spesialstyrken som drepte Osama bin Laden i 2011, drept i landet.

Amerikanske soldater har vært i Somalia i 13 år, men tidlig neste år skal flesteparten av de rundt 700 soldatene flyttes til baser i Kenya og Djibouti, melder Wall Street Journal.

Fra basene der vil soldatene fortsatt utføre oppdrag mot terrorgruppen al-Shabaab i Somalia.