Ellen DeGeneres Tests Positive for COVID-19, Show Paused Until January

Samara

Rozman_20201020_18019_0297r-H-2020-16038

"I'll see you again after the holidays," the daytime TV host wrote on Twitter on Thursday.

Ellen DeGeneres has become the latest celebrity to reveal that she has tested positive for COVID-19.

"Hi Everyone, I wanted to let you all know that I tested positive for Covid-19. Fortunately, I'm feeling fine right now. Anyone who has been in close contact with me has been notified, and I am following all proper CDC guidelines," she wrote on Twitter on Thursday. "I'll see you again after the holidays. Please stay healthy and safe. Love, Ellen."

A Telepictures spokesperson confirmed to The Hollywood Reporter that production on The Ellen DeGeneres Show will be paused until January following the news.

The news arrives the day after Buzzfeed published a follow-up story to its original, viral report over the summer alleging a "toxic" workplace at the Telepictures production. The new story, published Wednesday night, reports that the show is floundering in its attempts to book top-tier talent after the summer story on the show's toxic workplace culture and is losing advertisers. The story additionally reports that The Ellen DeGeneres Show's ratings have declined 37 percent since the prior season.

Usually, the show's "12 Days of Giveaways" seasonal event attracts many sponsors and aspiring audience members: "This year, our ‘12 Days’ is more condensed. We don’t have as many sponsors,” one employee who chose to remain anonymous told Buzzfeed. "This feels like our make-it-or-break-it moment. This will be our biggest report card. If we pick up sponsors by the new year, then we’re cooking, we’ll be fine, and we’ll sell kindness in a bottle. But if we fail that report card, who knows." The story trended on Twitter on Thursday morning.

The Ellen DeGeneres Show brought back a small, in-person audience in October, inviting 40 audience members to join the studio in addition to 70 virtual audience members. Since that time, COVID-19 cases have spiked in Los Angeles, with 9,243 new cases reported on Dec. 9. Tuesday saw a single-day death record in California as a result of the virus, with a death toll of 219.

More to come.