High Radon levels in the house...need help/suggestions

bommali

We have put an offer on a house and after the inspection, we found the Radon levels in the basement are very high 9.5 pci/l while the optimum should by 2.7, this can be however fixed by a mitigation system.

If any of you had this experience, please share your thoughts.

TIA

I suggest Execute your contract under contingency and cancel the offer… if you have kids in then don’t buy it I recommend Radon is high cancer causing gas … people say it can be take care by licensed professional  … it can come back again ..it’s due to basic structural issues  … when was this house built ?  Don’t get emotional about it … I know it’s lot of pain going over the buying process …. I know my family friend had trouble selling his house due to this…

You can install active radon gas ventilation and also detector 

we have a passive one with walk out basement

there is link of lung cancer on prolonged exposure 

If a house doesn't detect radon it doesn't mean it will not do in future too. Radon comes from earth and can come anytime just have a random removal system installed. Food quality, cell phone radiation and all other man made things kante concerning kaadu radon is what I feel

13 hours ago, bommali said:

We have put an offer on a house and after the inspection, we found the Radon levels in the basement are very high 9.5 pci/l while the optimum should by 2.7, this can be however fixed by a mitigation system.

If any of you had this experience, please share your thoughts.

TIA

You can install radon fan in Attic...with detector...<$1000.

If you have contingency ask them to do it and make sure it actually works (see results ).. 

Radon is common in basements

Ask seller to install radon mitigation system or you do it. It’s not a big deal. If you gave offer without any contingency and you really don’t Want the house, ask your realtor whether you can come out of contract without any penalty. In Pennsylvania you can come out of contract by saying you did not like HOA terms even though it is a no contingency offer

Thank you all for your inputs.

The house was built in 1995. The concentration of radon is only in the basement(I am sure higher concentrations bubble up to the main level). We put a contingency that the seller install a mitigation system after which we'll recheck the levels to make sure they are less than 2.7.

If the seller doesn't comply to this we'll be backing out.

if you really like the house and 100% set on buying it ------ Radon is everywhere, A simple exhaust fan in basement will remedy high levels of radon. Make sure the exhaust fan has battery back up and tested every where.

if you are not 100% sure on buying that house ------- think about resale, it will deter some future buyers when you are ready to sell. you would have the same issues that the seller is having now. if there is one more house in your neighborhood without radon which one would you prefer to buy? the market will not be hot like this all the time, it will cool down at some point of time. Think like this -- Can you sell the house if it's a buyers market with radon mitigation in place? 

I personally would skip even though it's an ideal house due to radon, there are lot more things that you can change about a house but not radon even though it can be mitigated very easily.

idhi kaakapothe inko house bro, it's a huuuuge investment, think 10 times before taking the step. All the best!!!